U.S.'s Nicktoons TV Adds Dragon Ball Z Kai in May

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: U.S.'s Nicktoons TV Adds Dragon Ball Z Kai in May

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:02 pm

LilKokuLink wrote:For years and years I've had this one mp3 file that I downloaded, and I can never find a video that went with it! I'm pretty sure it's a Toonami promo; I uploaded it on YouTube, here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCeb-IjOu9s

Read the description for more.
I'm not sure if I agree with the description. I'm fairly certain that FUNimation made this trailer. I remember first seeing it on one of the Garlic Jr. tapes. It seems very much more in line with the style that is indicative of FUNimation trailers rather than Toonami trailers (plus you would think a Cartoon Network trailer would include a reference to their network or mention of airdates). I'm not saying it NEVER aired on Cartoon Network. Maybe it did at one point, but I don't think that's where it originated.

EDIT: That said, this was released in my waning days of watching the English dub, and I hadn't quite started hating it yet (Season 4 would do that to me). But even though I was beginning to lose my interest in the dub, I won't deny that I was excited as hell the first time I saw this trailer. I probably watched it over and over again waiting for my Trunks tapes to show up. And then I remember gathering all my friends in my room at age 14 and watching them. Sigh, and the only thing I remember now is somebody commenting on the "hemorrhoids" joke. Yeesh. But anyway, I say all this because I'm glad you uploaded this trailer. It does bring a few nostalgia-isms back to me.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

fig404
Beyond Newbie

Post by fig404 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:42 pm

LilKokuLink wrote:For years and years I've had this one mp3 file that I downloaded, and I can never find a video that went with it! I'm pretty sure it's a Toonami promo; I uploaded it on YouTube, here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCeb-IjOu9s

Read the description for more.
I remember this one.

But with as much nostalgia and fondness I hold for Toonami, I have to admit; I never really liked their promo style.
To me it's just a bunch of clips with generic one-liners, while the music playing drowns out the dialogue.

I remember when watching it I'd be basically thinking, "Alright, DBZ's on! Okay, we just have to wait till this stupid clip is done.... YES! Now it's on!"
I never really hated them, though.

I guess, what I'm trying to say is that Nicktoons can basically do whatever they want with the promos, and they'll still work. As long as they're not completely embarrassing.
The Nicktoons promos will probably end up being very similar to the Toonami ones, anyway.
You can find Dragon Ball video-edits on my Youtube Channel.

Undercooked Sausage
Beyond Newbie

Post by Undercooked Sausage » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:06 pm

That was Toonami's promo that aired before every Cell Saga episode when it was originally being run on Cartoon Network.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:56 pm

All these Toonami promos are getting me pumped up to watch the series. :P

verto
Beyond Newbie

Post by verto » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:27 am

I'm going to an anime convention in Toronto in 10 hours, I'm going to ask... some people who shall remain nameless just in case... about Kai running on ytv or other canadian channels, if I get any relevant info, I shall post it hither.
Proud to be a S<3NE.

Baby Naruto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Baby Naruto » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:41 am

Nicktoons Dragon Ball Z Kai Commercial (HD?): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4Vdx8qYOQY

I hope it's alright/ok to post this.

It's a lot better than a cam shot.

LilKokuLink
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LilKokuLink » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:23 am

A kind guy on YouTube sent me a message about the Toonami Promo and it turns out it was used in place of an opening theme for most of the Trunks/Jinzoningen episodes.

It's available for download here under the name "Season 4 intro".

Might not be big news but for me it's amazing because I've been waiting years for the video that went with it. :)
Actions have reactions so don't be quick to judge, you may not know the hardships that people don't speak of.
Dub fan.
Naveed.

.:PoetikaL:.
Regular

Post by .:PoetikaL:. » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:20 pm

Well, I guess it seems that the topic got swayed off, but I want to post this as a reminder as to what made me enjoy DBZ:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4djRQre79A

Who does not remember DBZ 20XL?
My Deviantart: http://poetikal.deviantart.com
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheycallmeBrod

"I beat Toguro, and after that I assumed everything else would just be a big ol' piece of cake. And then some rogue Spirit Detective has to go and open up the freakin' gates of Hell!" -Yusuke Urameshi

I think Tom Dubois of "The Boondocks" said it best for me when FUNimation announced the release of the domestic Dragonbox, after buying all of the Season Sets: "MOTHERFUCK!!! SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT, PRICKS, SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIIIIIIIT!"

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:40 pm

Oh, wow, I do remember that! In fact, I think a lot of my original recordings of those dub episodes were from the DBZ20XL marathon... well, 20 of them at any rate. :lol:
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:41 pm

Baby Naruto wrote:Nicktoons Dragon Ball Z Kai Commercial (HD?): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4Vdx8qYOQY

It's not a horrible ad. The rock music was a little too rock even for Kai (compared to some of its own rock-ish tracks), but the visuals kind of remind me of the opening on the DBox singles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D9wXAMsH1o <--- start at about 1:27
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:56 pm

I might watch it.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:44 pm

Raki wrote:I might watch it.
What brought you to that conclusion, Rocky?
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Baby Naruto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Baby Naruto » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:22 pm

Kendamu wrote:
Baby Naruto wrote:Nicktoons Dragon Ball Z Kai Commercial (HD?): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4Vdx8qYOQY

It's not a horrible ad. The rock music was a little too rock even for Kai (compared to some of its own rock-ish tracks), but the visuals kind of remind me of the opening on the DBox singles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D9wXAMsH1o <--- start at about 1:27
I see. Well anyways, I'll be getting Nicktoons very soon, like this weekend or next weekend, so I should be able to watch DBZ Kai on Nicktoons

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:57 am

With the news of Kai getting English music for the dub, I'm just thinking what kind it'll be.

Will it be a straight-up translation/English version of "Dragon Soul" and "Yeah Break Care Break", or will it be rock-ish music ala Falconer's score? Anything's possible, I guess. :|
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:29 pm

Hurrah! A new generation of Dragon Ball addicts shall be brought into our little cabal.

And here I was worrying about becoming Transformers fandom :D .
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

LilKokuLink
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LilKokuLink » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:39 pm

IncompetentOverlord wrote:Hurrah! A new generation of Dragon Ball addicts shall be brought into our little cabal.

That's quite true, I think Kai will extend the years of fandom through television. I'm quite glad about that.
Actions have reactions so don't be quick to judge, you may not know the hardships that people don't speak of.
Dub fan.
Naveed.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:38 pm

IncompetentOverlord wrote:Hurrah! A new generation of Dragon Ball addicts shall be brought into our little cabal.

What's bad about the Transformers fandom? Grant that a few guys are kinda crazy and would riot en masse if they aired a TF anime in the States with the name "Convoy" intact, but still...

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:00 am

SilverPlaqueVII wrote:
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:
bkev wrote:He's assuming that YTV will have enough money to commission a separate dub using the Ocean cast. Which... they won't... or maybe he was saying that AB Groupe will do another English dub?
YTV could comission their own dub if they wanted to. They've used their sister company (Nelvana) for that very reason in the past. Most famous being Salior Moon's later seasons. Doesn't mean they will, or if it's a smart idea. Just that they'd be able to.
Maybe that will not happen. I doubt they'll air the FUNimation dub of Kai on Nicktoons and YTV (in addition, they'll try to air the first 67 episodes of "Ultimate Uncut" DBZ like they did on CN in 2005-2006 even DB, DBZ (68-291), and DBGT 1-64 + Recap on YTV as well.)
Wouldn't be worth it. Things have changed over the years: FUNi now owns the North American rights to the DB franchise, not just the US ones. That's why YTV aired the Saban-FUNi dub during its anniversary instead of one that would constitute as Canadian content by being dubbed in Canada.

So for YTV to commission a dub, they'd have to pay Nelvana to dub it, TOEI to use its likeness at all, and FUNImation to use its likeness in North America. It'd be a hell of a lot faster, easier and cheaper to just use their Nelvana-FUNi ties to get the FUNi dub, as they'd be paying for a finished product that doesn't have them paying royalties all over the world.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:54 am

Dayspring wrote:Wouldn't be worth it. Things have changed over the years: FUNi now owns the North American rights to the DB franchise, not just the US ones. That's why YTV aired the Saban-FUNi dub during its anniversary instead of one that would constitute as Canadian content by being dubbed in Canada.

So for YTV to commission a dub, they'd have to pay Nelvana to dub it, TOEI to use its likeness at all, and FUNImation to use its likeness in North America. It'd be a hell of a lot faster, easier and cheaper to just use their Nelvana-FUNi ties to get the FUNi dub, as they'd be paying for a finished product that doesn't have them paying royalties all over the world.
Well, I make a big answer = NO. YTV should struck a deal with FUNimation (maybe 5-6 years?) to air their dub of Kai as well as the other Dragon Ball series and other FUNimation shows (Slayers, Soul Eater, etc...)
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:34 pm

SilverPlaqueVII wrote:
Dayspring wrote:Wouldn't be worth it. Things have changed over the years: FUNi now owns the North American rights to the DB franchise, not just the US ones. That's why YTV aired the Saban-FUNi dub during its anniversary instead of one that would constitute as Canadian content by being dubbed in Canada.

Well, I make a big answer = NO. YTV should struck a deal with FUNimation (maybe 5-6 years?) to air their dub of Kai as well as the other Dragon Ball series and other FUNimation shows (Slayers, Soul Eater, etc...)
YTV doesn't care about anime. They've even dropped Naruto and Bleach, for frak's sake. It's all Nickelodeon shows lately. And I have no earthly idea what you mean by 5-6 years.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.