What would you prefer for the Blu-Ray? 4:3 or 16:9?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rory
I Live Here

What would you prefer for the Blu-Ray? 4:3 or 16:9?

Post by Rory » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:03 pm

I'm not starting any kind of war here guys, just want to clarify that.
I've bounced this back and forth several times on this forum, and I do not want to beat a dead horse here, so before responding pleas read the following:
This isn't what we think will come of the Blu-Ray, this is our personal desires for the upcoming release.
After pondering the issue, I'm just curious as to what the educated Dragon Ball fan wants, who knows what both of these aspect ratios are. You all know that the 16:9 from Kai is completely different from that of the Season Sets by now. That said, what aspect ratio do you guys want for this Blu-Ray release? The specially cropped-for-TV 16:9 aspect? Or the Dragon Ball Z 4:3?
I'm sure you know by now I'm a 16:9 guy on this issue. Please, let me know what you want, and why? :)

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: What would you prefer for the Blu-Ray? 4:3 or 16:9?

Post by Amigo Ten » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:39 pm

4:3, because that's how it was made. I don't see how cropping it to fit a wide screen is an improvement.

Treklin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Treklin » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:06 pm

The best thing Toei/Funimation can make is, that they bring us an option to the Blu-rays where we can select to watch the show in "16:9 original TV broadcast format". I mean the Blu-ray has so much on space so why Toei/Funimation not let us to choose ???

To fit both formats (16:9 and 4:3) on a 25GB Blu-ray is the easiest thing on earth !!!

EXAMPLE TOEI:

1 Blu-ray Disc has 3 Episodes in 4:3 format ... with a (non)-possible "TV Option" + same 3 Episodes in 16:9 makes 6 Episodes on a single Blu-ray Disc with 25GB !!! Technical I think it is/was possible but ... dont know!

EXAMPLE FUNIMATION:

1 Blu-ray Disc has 6 or 7 Episodes in 4:3 format ... with a (non)-possible "TV Option" + same 6 or 7 Episodes in 16:9 makes 12 or 14 Episodes on a single Blu-ray Disc with 25GB !!! Dont know if this would be technical possible to fit 14 Episodes on 25 GB ??? But I dont know it !

Can someone who has the Japanese KAI Blu-ray look up the left disc space ???
The word "KAI" means in the old North Germanic language Frisian "Kämpfer engl. Fighter" respectively "Krieger engl. Warrior"!

piccolo-san785
Beyond Newbie

Post by piccolo-san785 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:14 pm

I actually won't mind if it was in 16:9.

DbzFanboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by DbzFanboy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:19 pm

I would prefer having the option of both so everyone can be pleased. A dual layer can hold up to 100gb so I believe that would be the biggest solution
FOREVER FORNEVER

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:25 pm

DbzFanboy wrote:I would prefer having the option of both so everyone can be pleased. A dual layer can hold up to 100gb so I believe that would be the biggest solution
But if you could only have one..?

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:27 pm

If it was originally animated in 4:3, then that's the only way to properly view it.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:33 pm

Rory wrote:
DbzFanboy wrote:I would prefer having the option of both so everyone can be pleased. A dual layer can hold up to 100gb so I believe that would be the biggest solution
If I could only have one, 4:3. That's how it was made and that's how it deserves to be shown. If the Orange Bricks were in 4:3 and if the TV broadcast of Kai was in 4:3 then nobody would ever even consider Dragonball in 16:9 except for the movies and the Jump Special.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

DbzFanboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by DbzFanboy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:39 pm

Rory wrote:
Well if I could only have 1 I guess I would have to go with 16:9 as long as its done better than how funimation did the orange bricks. I believe the trunks and bardocks specials weren't done in 16:9 but were cropped into it and they came out pretty good
FOREVER FORNEVER

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:17 pm

A single-layer BD is 25GB. Therefore a dual-layer is __GB?

(Come on, I have faith in you. You can do it! ;p).

In any case, 4:3 is the optimum solution if only one can fit. Why? Err, the show was made that way. Whether it was pressure from the television station about new standards or something else entirely, the show is 4:3 and simply cropped with more attention to detail than FUNi's presentation. And, I can tell you from seeing both broadcast raws and the R2 discs, the show looks more crisp in 4:3. Why? Because the 16:9 version isn't a different telecine, it's merely cropped and zoomed. And when you zoom an image it becomes what, children?

(Don't say bigger, damn you. ;P)
"You don't know what you're talking about. You're not very smart, and the things you're saying are nonsense. And I'm not angry. But you do need to shut up." - Tycho Brahe

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:57 pm

4:3.

If you want it cropped that bad, hit the Zoom button on your remote. That's all the 16:9 TV broadcast is... Just read Corey's post right above mine ^
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:13 pm

It was made in 4:3, so it should be presented in 4:3. That's it. I appreciate that Toei actually took its time with the cropping for TV, being reasonably careful that nothing important gets chopped off, unlike FUNimation's misguided attempts with the Season Sets. But if there's no such strict obligation to crop the home releases, then for Dende's sake, don't.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:18 pm

It's not supposed to be watched in 16:9.

If Toei were legally allowed to broadcast it in 4:3, they would have.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:13 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:

In any case, 4:3 is the optimum solution if only one can fit. Why? Err, the show was made that way. Whether it was pressure from the television station about new standards or something else entirely, the show is 4:3 and simply cropped with more attention to detail than FUNi's presentation. And, I can tell you from seeing both broadcast raws and the R2 discs, the show looks more crisp in 4:3. Why? Because the 16:9 version isn't a different telecine, it's merely cropped and zoomed. And when you zoom an image it becomes what, children?

Ooh, ooh...let's me answer Professor!!

Blurry? Less clear? Of less fidelity?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:08 pm

DemonRin wrote:4:3.

If you want it cropped that bad, hit the Zoom button on your remote. That's all the 16:9 TV broadcast is... Just read Corey's post right above mine ^
Somebody is ignoring the concept of Kai's frame-specific cropping! :)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:39 pm

Rory wrote:Somebody is ignoring the concept of Kai's frame-specific cropping! :)
Has anyone even bothered to look this up since before the series even began? We had those couple shots of the gang on the beach at Kame House... but... ya' know... has anyone actually compared anything since then...?

I'd wager that very little is being done. I'd love to be proven wrong, but then again, I'd also love to be completely right so the "press zoom and shut up" argument holds even more water ^_~.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:44 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Rory wrote:Somebody is ignoring the concept of Kai's frame-specific cropping! :)
Has anyone even bothered to look this up since before the series even began? We had those couple shots of the gang on the beach at Kame House... but... ya' know... has anyone actually compared anything since then...?

I'd wager that very little is being done. I'd love to be proven wrong, but then again, I'd also love to be completely right so the "press zoom and shut up" argument holds even more water ^_~.
Were the shots compared at the beginning even original animation, or were they redrawn? One might argue that the redrawn frames already accounted for the cropping for TV somewhat by re-framing the center of action. It's been so long I can't remember...besides, you have the BD. Make a screen cap of one of those scenes and just crop it, see if it's indeed 'selective'. ;)
"You don't know what you're talking about. You're not very smart, and the things you're saying are nonsense. And I'm not angry. But you do need to shut up." - Tycho Brahe

DbzFanboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by DbzFanboy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:03 am

MajinVejitaXV wrote:

Actually I read on wiki that a dual-layer can hold between 50-100 gb. Maybe the information is wrong
FOREVER FORNEVER

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:20 am

Here I am going against the grain. I had this conversation in the latest podcast thread, but if I had to choose one, it would be 16:9 because, intended or not, 16:9 was how the show was originally aired, and that holds more weight to me. Since Kai is not Z but a new entity altogether, they can make whatever changes they like, and, despite the fact that they were forced to do it and despite the fact that the new sequences were animated in 4:3, it is still aired in 16:9, which, for me, makes it the official aspect ratio of Dragon Ball Kai, similar to how 16:9 (or was it 1.85:1?) is the official aspect ratio for the movies, despite being animated in 4:3. Don't get me wrong. I would have preferred if they hadn't had to crop it in the first place, but since they did... there you go. As long as DB/Z/GT are retained in 4:3, I'm fine. However, Corey's point about the resolution being lowered due to cropping in and zooming... can't deny he's got a point there.

Oh, and I thought of one new analogy since I wrote that post in the podcast thread about "what was intended" vs "what was there." In episode 3 of DBZ, I'm sure the animators intended to color in the Kame logo on Goku's gi, but when it comes right down to it, they didn't. Sure it would have been better if it had been, but I'm glad no one's made any attempt to go back and fix it... in Z. They did it for Kai, and that's just super. :wink:
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/29/24!)
Current Episode: Attack of the Member Berries - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 3

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:40 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:Here I am going against the grain. I had this conversation in the latest podcast thread, but if I had to choose one, it would be 16:9 because, intended or not, 16:9 was how the show was originally aired, and that holds more weight to me.
The difference between you and I is that the way the people creating show intended for it to be seen holds more weight than a TV station who forced it to be aired in a different way because the law said so.

That said, I wouldn't go into some giant nerd rage if Kai was 16:9. I think Toei's handled that set-back rather well and it looks much better than the Orange Bricks. I am extremely happy that it'll be in 4:3, though.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co