Garlic Jr. Saga - Really the worst?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

Re: Garlic Jr. Saga - Really the worst?

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:16 am

I don't think he went back to the planet. So I'm not sure how he got them. Lets just mark it as a plot hole.
Oh, you think the Grand Tour is your ally, you merely stepped into the Grand Tour. I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn’t see the Super until I was already a man; by then, it was nothing to me but blinding!

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:19 am

Silver Sinspawn wrote:I don't think he went back to the planet. So I'm not sure how he got them. Lets just mark it as a plot hole.
He might've gone back, it's just not explained though.

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:21 am

I like this plothole, though; it means when the wiki is up, I can write a short article for the Makyo Star article. Short articles are so much more fun. There is always more to find out.
Oh, you think the Grand Tour is your ally, you merely stepped into the Grand Tour. I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn’t see the Super until I was already a man; by then, it was nothing to me but blinding!

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:51 pm

Here's how it can all be explained.

The Deadzone is really just a literal plothole that Garlic Jr. uses. That's how DBZ Movie 1 fits into the anime's continuity and how the Garlic Jr. arc can be so messed up but still have actually happened.

Literal plothole. :lol:
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

TenshinFan
Beyond Newbie

Post by TenshinFan » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:50 pm

No, Garlic Jr Saga isn't the worst. But it's certainly down there. I'd say it's worse than all Sagas except Super 17, which was dreadful. Now, I didn't dislike the Dead Zone Movie, and I don't mind GJ as a character, but as an entire Saga... it just feels super fillery. And not enough Ten/Chiaozu/Yamcha/Yajirobe.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:42 pm

I just realized something about the Garlic Jr. arc today as I was driving home from work. Nearly every time skip in Dragon Ball has some filler episodes in the anime. And also, as far as I can recall, every single one features the characters at the exact same age as the end of the preceding arc. They never jump around through different points of time during the skip. For example, for the filler in between the death of Piccolo Daimao and the beginning of the 23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai, Goku and Kuririn are kids, Yamucha has short hair and no scars, etc. I think Garlic Jr. is the only filler sequence like this that implies any kinds of passage of time. Gohan's hair is long and spikey again, like it will be for beginning of the next arc. Same with Yamucha: his hair is in its bowl cut. Bulma, however, has her hair the same style it was at the end of the Freeza arc. So I have to give them props for actually attempting to create a happy medium.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

dylanmorgan17
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dylanmorgan17 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:45 pm

If you ask me, I personally would say that the Garlic Jr Saga begun with a dark and compelling plot, however as it went on I found the plot and action to be somewhat on the weaker side.
Garlic Jr could really been finished off 5 episodes earlier if you think about it. The fight scenes just went on too long to the point of being dull and boring. I found myself hoping for the saga to be finished off quickly.

Possitive Points:
1. I loved how this saga showed the constant development of Gohan's character
2. This saga shows the unity between Kami and piccolo and how they learn to get along with one another to save the day. This links what their character development is between what it is in the later half of Dragon Ball and what they become in the Andriod/Cell Saga of DBZ
3. Funny Maron moments. I Loved the humour between Korin, Yajirobe and Maron and how this was later parodied in the Youtube fan-based parody series, 'Korin and Yajiobe'.
4. Vegeta searching through space for Goku.

:evil:

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:25 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:I just realized something about the Garlic Jr. arc today as I was driving home from work. Nearly every time skip in Dragon Ball has some filler episodes in the anime. And also, as far as I can recall, every single one features the characters at the exact same age as the end of the preceding arc. They never jump around through different points of time during the skip. For example, for the filler in between the death of Piccolo Daimao and the beginning of the 23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai, Goku and Kuririn are kids, Yamucha has short hair and no scars, etc. I think Garlic Jr. is the only filler sequence like this that implies any kinds of passage of time. Gohan's hair is long and spikey again, like it will be for beginning of the next arc. Same with Yamucha: his hair is in its bowl cut. Bulma, however, has her hair the same style it was at the end of the Freeza arc. So I have to give them props for actually attempting to create a happy medium.
I thought the episodes spent training for the Androids implied some passage of time as well, but I could be completely wrong as, like I said, it's been a while since I've watched anything beyond the Freeza arc.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:33 am

Hmm, not that I recall. Granted, there were only two episodes set in that in-between time, but Yamucha still had his bowl cut, Bulma had her fro, and nobody else really changed much anyway.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:00 am

That reminds me. How many years in Dragon Ball/Z are skipped?
I'd say the equivalent of about 20 or 30. You know what that means?
They have sufficient room for another movie special, or even a game.
I think AotS did good to fill in some of the end of DB to the start of Z.
But do you guys think that more movies could be put in?

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:35 am

Silver Sinspawn wrote: But do you guys think that more movies could be put in?
Nah, I don't think any more movies could've been put it to the TV series. Garlic Jr. wasn't actually killed in the movie 1 so that's why they could put him in. Most villains were killed in their respective movies so it would be hard to put them in, unless they get rebuilt as a cyborg or whatever like Freeza.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:56 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
Silver Sinspawn wrote: But do you guys think that more movies could be put in?
Nah, I don't think any more movies could've been put it to the TV series. Garlic Jr. wasn't actually killed in the movie 1 so that's why they could put him in. Most villains were killed in their respective movies so it would be hard to put them in, unless they get rebuilt as a cyborg or whatever like Freeza.
Maybe they could have yet another return from Broli in some warped, plot-holeish series of events.

"Clash!! The Super-Powerful Guy Returns, 10X More Retarded!" :lol:
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:00 am

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
Maybe they could have yet another return from Broli in some warped, plot-holeish series of events.

That's the last thing the series needs, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened though.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:05 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:

That's the last thing the series needs, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened though.
Yeah, they did it for Bio-Broli. Even when Broly was confirmed to have died in Second Coming, they still had him return for a third movie appearance as some fucked-up-looking bio-clone who looks like he had a bucket of crap dropped on him.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

jack

Post by jack » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:47 am

Ginger, Nikki, and Sansho are weaker than the Spice Boys from the Garlic Jr. saga, not stronger. Watch the saga and see.

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:06 am

I think the Broly: Second Coming can be made as the filler arc.
Last edited by Goku100xKamehameha on Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:10 am

Goku100xKamehameha wrote:I think the Broly: Second Cuming can be made as the filler arc.
What? That was a movie.

I really got to stop humouring trolls.

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:11 am

Oops that was a typo.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:50 am

Blue wrote:
Cipher wrote:
Blue wrote:I don't think
"Allow me to pull this transformation out of absolutely nowhere with 0 build up."
"Oh hey I have this certain technique that can save us all and we just happen to have the right people to do it here and now."
"Yeah there's two fusion methods now. What are the chances? Throw on this mystical earing plz."
"Oh hey we randomly defused inside Boo's stomach because the author thought this was a shitty idea and couldn't write us out of it well. Oh well."
"Yeah I know we've been building up to this fight for a huge amount of time but allow me to be absorbed in about 2 episode because Toriyama wanted to change course again."

Were meant to be funny.
Check the "Who else's favorite arc is Buu?" thread in this section for my thoughts on why, yes, they were.

If you don't see Super Saiyan 3 as at least something of a self-parody, Toriyama's flying over your head.
I think you're highly overestimating Toriyama's wit. I doubt he was sitting there making discrete lamp shading jokes in a series for 8 year olds. It's typical Toriyama "Well I'm out of ideas." Just like the real magical water sitting right next to the fake magical water on Karin's look out.

In a way that's the only funny thing about the Boo. Toriyama was throwing up his arms and saying "fuck it" as he draws whatever comes to mind at the moment. The whole concept of Fusion came from Toriyama being stuck in a corner because everyone was too absurdly strong. It wasn't some witty commentary on his manga. I have zero reason to believe anything else listed above is something other then similar dilemmas.
You`re talking about the man who made Krillin state that he (the author) was goofing off when he was drawing the Gotenks fusion in the boo saga.

You are underestimating him.

I mean just look at the previous sagas. First, the emphasis was on the SSJ on the Namek Saga, and when it was reached it solved everything (SSJ Goku).
Then the emphasis turned to surpassing the SSJ and that saved everone in the Cell saga (SSJ2 Gohan).

But in the Buu saga, we get the opposite. First, the even further SSJ (SSJ3) with Goku, but that doesn`t solve anything. Then the fusion dance with the boys but that doesn`t solve anything. Then the Ultimate power up with Gohan, but that doesn`t solve anything. Then the potara fusion with Vegetto but that doesn`t solve anything. In the end its a Genki dama which solves everything.

The solution given by Akira in the boo saga is pretty good at turning away from the preexisting formula while making fun of it and I honestly don`t think it was an accident.

jack

Post by jack » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:35 pm

I like the Garlic Jr saga. Salt was cool. I liked the fight he and Gohan had.