what is with the PANTS?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:37 am

That sounds like telepathy to me..well sorta. For Goku anyway.

askani son
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by askani son » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:21 pm

I remember when Goku reads Kuririn's memories. :o
He actually goes out of his way to not explain it. Kinda convenient don't ya think :wink:
"I'd rather die than fuse with you!"
"Um...Vegeta, you're already dead."

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:38 pm

tarsonis wrote:That sounds like telepathy to me..well sorta. For Goku anyway.
Of course it's telepathic, but Goku never seems to know how to do it, short of a couple of instances where he does goofy things in peoples minds, and is confused even by his own abilities.

tealsmith
Beyond Newbie

Post by tealsmith » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:14 pm

lost in thought wrote:
tarsonis wrote:That sounds like telepathy to me..well sorta. For Goku anyway.
Of course it's telepathic, but Goku never seems to know how to do it, short of a couple of instances where he does goofy things in peoples minds, and is confused even by his own abilities.
Goku knows how to use it when Toriyama wants him to know how to use it. 'nuff said :P
"My heart, it ceases. My breath, undrawn. My eyes forever focussed - on the sanguine metal dawn." - Caduca, Thief II: The Metal Age

Mike D
Regular

Post by Mike D » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:12 pm

Or maybe it's one of those talents that you don't use every single time it is convenient to you. Now, to explain as to how he got these powers; I think it came from being around Kaio for so long. He might have picked up on how to do it somewhere down the line.

Wahwahwah
Banned

Post by Wahwahwah » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:27 pm

I thought it was a family thing. Like, if a Saiyan is close to someone like family, (like Krillin's like a brother almost), then he can do it. But, Goku's dumb, and he'd never know how to do it. Besides, I think it's one of those super-powerup things. Being super-powered must have super-powered his minute telepathic abilities. Yup. That explains everything.

About the pants. I bet they'd REALLY reinforce their pants. I mean, come on! Who would want their pants coming off in the middle of battle? That steel pants thing probably wouldn't be far from the truth. Or at least steel undies.

Also, Please, think of the Cat-Girls!!! You must ring a cat-bell three times and say, "Pants are useless!!!" to bring 'em back!!! 'Common, do it with me!

"Ding a ling a ling!!!" "PANTS ARE USELESS!!!"

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:19 pm

Or it could be a manipulation of ki...which seems to be my explanation for most things in Dragon Ball.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Wahwahwah
Banned

Post by Wahwahwah » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:33 am

Would you REALLY be worrying about your pants when you're in the middle of a fight???

"Ding a ling a ling" "PANTS ARE USELESS!!!"

Mattias
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mattias » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:32 pm

Wahwahwah wrote:Would you REALLY be worrying about your pants when you're in the middle of a fight???

"Ding a ling a ling" "PANTS ARE USELESS!!!"
Well, it would be a little bit embarrassing to be fighting when suddenly your trousers are torn off, revealing something that you really don't want to be showing. Your enemy might taunt you for the size (or lack thereof) of the organs that were being covered.

Protect your privates!

EDIT: Proper spelling is a prerequisite for this course, isn't it?
Last edited by Mattias on Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[i]"Well, Diane, I'm sure you and your brother are devistated for the two-headed monster that could have been,"[/i] ~ Tom Tucker.

Gamingdevil
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gamingdevil » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:17 am

Mike D wrote:Or maybe it's one of those talents that you don't use every single time it is convenient to you. Now, to explain as to how he got these powers; I think it came from being around Kaio for so long. He might have picked up on how to do it somewhere down the line.
Hey, that could be an explanation, I mean he did learn the Kamehameha by merely seeing Muten Roshi perform it.
Who said life isn't a game?

Dewgel

Post by Dewgel » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:29 pm

This bugs me all the time. And so does the power of their blasts.

Think about it, in the Saiyan Saga, Vegeta and Nappa were making enourmous bolts of lightning just by standing still (and watching Saibamen fight.)

Then later on in the series when Goku and Gohan walk around the streets as full powered Super Saiyans...they don't cause a bit of damage. Heh...

-Steve

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:57 pm

Eh, it's called control. Same reason why Vegeta's full powered blasts were capable of blowing up planets during the Saiya-jin saga and yet none of his stray blasts, nor his self destruct, while he was Majin blew the planet up.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:01 pm

OR, he was possibly boasting to lure Goku in to counterattacking, or at least into standing his ground and take the blast.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:59 pm

In the Saiyan saga, those blasts were humongous because they were powerful. But by the time the Freeza story arc came about, the characters were getting ridiculously powerful. So, to minimize environmental damage and raise their attack efficiency, the characters started narrowing the beams. Piccolo states this when Vegeta attacks Android 17 (or was it Cell...I can't remember); Vegeta's blast was so powerful that he had to narrow it or risk blowing the Earth up. I like to think of it as quality over quantity; focus all the power into a condensed form is more efficient than spreading it out in a large blast.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.