Village chief... or mayor?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Domon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Village chief... or mayor?

Post by Domon » Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:34 pm

Ok, this is something that's been bothering me for some time. In the DVD subtitles, the elder of Jingle Village is referred to as the "village chief". But in vol. 5 and 6 of the manga, he's called "the mayor".

So... which is more correct?

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:37 pm

Probably just one of TOEI's misconceptions or Viz's if your'e talking about their version of the DB manga.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:36 pm

Mmm...well, both could be translations of the same meaning....leader.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:18 pm

I haven't seen the dvd yet, but the dub refers to him as the village chief as well. Well it also calls Sergeant-Major Purple "Ninja Murasaki" so that might not be a good example.

Domon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Domon » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:50 pm

Sebastian (SB) wrote:Probably just one of TOEI's misconceptions or Viz's if your'e talking about their version of the DB manga.
In case I wasn't clear, I'm referring to the FUNi dvd and the Viz manga, respectively.

I haven't seen the dvd yet, but the dub refers to him as the village chief as well. Well it also calls Sergeant-Major Purple "Ninja Murasaki" so that might not be a good example.
He's called "Murasaki" in the Japanese version as well (could someone clear this up?)

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:55 pm

Well, if I'm not mistaken, murasaki means purple...

His original name, Murasaki Sou Chou, means something along the lines of Purple Captain, I think. I don't know any Japanese though...
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Domon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Domon » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:08 pm

I figured it might've been something like that, but it's really confusing to see the same character being called two different names in two (mostly) accurate translations of the series.

Another thing I want to know: why does Viz call Seg. Metallic "Full Metal Jacket"?

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:12 pm

I mentioned that in the thread a while back about DBZ outside references. A translation of Metariccu Gunsou would probably be Metallic Sergeant, but probably as a joke alluding to the movie they called him Full Metal Jacket. Maybe not in the sense of the bullet but in the sense of his body...?

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:22 pm

Upon seeing that I was coughing "rip-off" as well. It was probably just the way Viz decided to do it. They called the Buyon moster "Jiggler" as well. For those who haven't seen the dub, Buyon keeps his name, whereas Sergeant Mettallic is called "Major Metallitron". Still better than the rip off name.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:29 am

What's the "Jiggler" refering to?

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:52 am

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:What's the "Jiggler" refering to?
Oh, I think you know...

His jiggling qualities? Is Buyon one of them onomatopoeias?

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:59 am

He is called the exact same thing in both the manga and the anime.

村長 - sonchou - the first kanji means "village", and the second kanji means "leader". The general translation for this title is "Village Headman" (meaning he's the head of the village). Since the term "headman" isn't very common, Clyde decided to refer to him as the village chief, while Viz opted to simply call him the mayor. Both translations are technically correct.

Chapter 60 - Ninja Murasaki!!
Episode 37 - Enter Ninja Murasaki

I don't remember what his actual rank was in the army, but he definately is a ninja, so it's not wrong for either the manga or anime to call him that.

Buyobuyo = something soft and flabby.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:09 am

The rank Viz gave him was Sergeant-Major. Also I haven't seen those eps on dvd, so I can't say anthing about the subtitles. Also I didn't know that Murasaki meant "purple". So I guess that does make sense either way.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:11 am

*PINHEAD* wrote:
Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:What's the "Jiggler" refering to?
Oh, I think you know...

His jiggling qualities? Is Buyon one of them onomatopoeias?
>_< From the context in Super Sonic's post, I thought he meant Full Metal Jacket and The Jiggler were refering to movies or something. Hmph!

And I think Purple was a Colonel.

EDIT-
The rank Viz gave him was Sergeant-Major
...Oh yeah...

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:50 am

His name is ムラサキ曹長 Murasaki Souchou. The rank is apparently most comparable to "master sergeant", but it's also sometimes associated with "sergeant major". I'd tend to go with the former, and I think that's what was used in the DVD subtitles.

And yes, he is sometimes called 忍者ムラサキ Ninja Murasaki in the Japanese anime and manga, so there's nothing wrong with the dub calling him that. I've always assumed his ninja status is the reason he has a Japanese color name instead of an English one like the other RRA members.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:56 am

Either way they both mean that he is the leader of the people in the village.