Previews Question (Difficult)

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Previews Question (Difficult)

Post by Kodoshin » Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:21 am

Ok, I understand that to advertise the various movies and such that came out during the the series run on TV, the next episode preview would be shortened sometimes to stick in an ad for the movie that was coming out, right?

Did this happen for every single movie?

What exact episodes did these ads play during?

And one more (just because I'm sure I haven't been demanding enough already....), after what episodes of DBZ TV did the Bardock and Trunks specials air?

It's a ton of questions I know, but if anyone could provide the slightest bits of (correct) information I'd be most grateful.

spikemcruffy
Beyond Newbie

Post by spikemcruffy » Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:51 am

j
Last edited by spikemcruffy on Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:23 pm

Wow, I totally forgot about those.

If all my fansubs weren't down at my parents' house in Virginia, I'd look through and try to find an example.

Even further questions arise, now. What's on the "Dragon Box" sets? For those specific episodes and their respective previews, do they still contain the shortened versions that plug the then-upcoming DBZ movie? Or did they create full-length previews for those episodes, and used THOSE for the discs?

What appears at the end of FUNimation's DBZ movie 6 is entirely different than what's being discussed. That's a stand-alone commercial, and I don't recall ever seeing it in with the actual episodes from the original television broadcast.

The Bardock TV special aired 17 October 1990, which we between DBZ episodes 63 & 64 (Rikum vs Kuririn & Gohan). The Trunks TV special aired 24 February 1993, which was between DBZ episodes 175 & 176 (Uhh... Mr. Satan arriving at the Cell Game). Yes, the TV specials were originally aired at such terribly awkward points in the series.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:46 pm

Did some research at the archive of the original DBZ Uncensored, the preview for DBZ movie 4 ran after DBZ episode 81, it turns out.

EDIT: If anyone was wondering what the point of all the questions at the start of the thread was, I'm trying to piece together a sort of viewing plan to simulate what it was like to be a Japanese fan during the midst of the series release.

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:28 pm

VegettoEX wrote:For those specific episodes and their respective previews, do they still contain the shortened versions that plug the then-upcoming DBZ movie?.
No, there aren't any movie previews or anything like that on the Dragon Boxes.
Kodoshin wrote:Did some research at the archive of the original DBZ Uncensored, the preview for DBZ movie 4 ran after DBZ episode 81, it turns out.
I just checked it out, including the 2 surrounding episodes, just to be certain...
Episode 80 preview - 30 seconds
Episode 81 preview - 30 seconds
Episode 82 preview - 30 seconds

They're all full length, but the preview from episode 81 contains audio of Freeza's dialogue from the next episode (the other two previews are all original material). So I guess they editted some stuff in to make it longer.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:31 pm

DBW wrote:They're all full length, but the preview from episode 81 contains audio of Freeza's dialogue from the next episode (the other two previews are all original material). So I guess they editted some stuff in to make it longer.
Makes sense. I figured for a syndication re-run they'd have edited together some full-length versions of the previews, and apparently that's just what they did.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::