Relation between movie #1 and Garlic Jr. Saga

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:27 pm

You can say the movies are an alternate timeline, or a completely different story, just like the many different incarnations of Superman and stuff. The thing is, Toei did try to fit in the movie into the actual storyline, despite the contradictory nature of the plot. :shock: :?

It's another one of Big Brother's tests. This never happened.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:11 pm

Toei probably figured that nobody would remember details of the first movie anyways (or that people just wouldn't care). There was something like 3 years between the release of the movie and the saga...

Besides, they desperately needed the Garlic Jr. saga, as well as the super-extended 5-minutes sequence...

Chapter 318: The Legendary Super Saiya-jin
Weekly Jump issue #17, 1991 (approx. April 21-27, 1991)
Episode 95: Transformed at Last!! The Legendary Super Saiya-jin • Son Goku
June 12, 1991

By this point in the series there were only about 6 weeks between the manga and the anime! The Garlic Jr. saga was inevitable.

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:13 pm

Funny thing about the Garlic Jr. saga... I used to hate it. I just picked up the boxed set recently though, and watched it [in both Japanese, and English audio, depending on my mood] and despite it's over all error-y-ness, my opinion on the saga itself has drastically changed.

I don't hate it anymore, and I did actually enjoy watching after all this time.
[Needless to say, my opinion of the story hasn't changed though.]

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:40 pm

It's Crisis on Infinite Dragonworlds! Behold... Garlic Jr. as canon!
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:11 am

Nice one, S. Heh.

Anyway, as fruity as it may have been... I can't hate it any more, it's just not possible. I've transcended hate for any part of the series now, and I've come into a feeling of appreciation; an appreciation for even having it at all, let alone on bilingual dvds.

Mwahahahaha.

Gamingdevil
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gamingdevil » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:17 am

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:Actually the Ginyu Force-the end of the Freeza Saga was a couple hours at the most. Most of their days on Namek were spent hiding.
Then why did Bulma nag that much? She was only allone for a day at most :?
Who said life isn't a game?

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:22 am

Three days, I believe :P
Kuririn and Gohan were flying to The Great Elder's for three days with their Ki suppressed.

tealsmith
Beyond Newbie

Post by tealsmith » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:04 am

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:Three days, I believe :P
Kuririn and Gohan were flying to The Great Elder's for three days with their Ki suppressed.
Wow.... so a 3 day trip to the Elder's took one episode, while a 5 minute fight with Freeza took 50 :P?

Sorry, just couldn't resist :P
"My heart, it ceases. My breath, undrawn. My eyes forever focussed - on the sanguine metal dawn." - Caduca, Thief II: The Metal Age