English in Japanese version

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fuujin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

English in Japanese version

Post by Fuujin » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:13 am

I have a question for those who watch the original version of DB and have some grasp in Japanese (or just keep a look out for such things) - which characters use significantly more English words than others. I would imagine that Vegeta is one of them, seeing as even his attack names are in English, but what about others? Please count less imprtant characters as well, not only the main cast.
It's party time, Ginyu style!

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:52 pm

None of them really *use* English, they just spout out random phrases. Bulma says "Let's go!" Goku says "Thank you" Vegeta says "Number one", etc. A lot of characters have attacks in English too, especially Rikuum (who calls out everthing in English, such as punch, kick, elbow, etc.). That's really about it though, there isn't much useful English ever said in the series. (just the same type of rubbish repeated over and over)

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:39 pm

Not to mention the Budokai announcer stating things such as "Nokku out!" and "Ringu out!" and counting in english and all that.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:11 pm

Now that I think about it, are count outs done in English a lot in anime? Koto in the original Japanese version of YYH was doing counts in English as well.

Mattias
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mattias » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:54 pm

So referring to the original question, is it all pretty consistent within all of the characters, or is there one that uses it more than the others?
[i]"Well, Diane, I'm sure you and your brother are devistated for the two-headed monster that could have been,"[/i] ~ Tom Tucker.

ruffriles19
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ruffriles19 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:06 pm

I'd actually say that Goku probably uses it more than the others. He actually says "sankyu" more than he says "arigato" or "domo." What else, he has "lets go" sometimes, and "piisu" (peace)

Muten Roshi probably uses his fair share of it too. He introduces himself to Goku for the first time with "Hello" and "Good Afternoon" in Engl(r)ish.

But being an anime targeted to younger people, it's natural that all characters would probably use a high amount of English and wasei-eigo (English loanwords) because as far as I understand, English is "hip" among Japanese youth. English loanwords are also relatively common in the language itself, in pop music and such.
Last edited by ruffriles19 on Sun May 01, 2005 1:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fuujin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Fuujin » Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:42 pm

Well, what I was refering to are those single words or phrases. Usually a foreign character in anime will use more of them, so which DBZ characters are "foreign" by this standards?
It's party time, Ginyu style!

veshira
Regular

Re: English in Japanese version

Post by veshira » Mon May 02, 2005 12:30 am

Goku, in the Japanese, uses English sometimes. He commonly uses the English phrase "Thankyou." (His voice actress can pronounce the TH sound! *feels proud for her* Err, yeah. . .)
What's scarier than a DBZ H-game?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLuBVyPsL5g]Fear the dancing![/url]

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Mon May 02, 2005 3:01 am

No, she says "Sankyuu." It is very difficult for a Japanese mouth to pronounce the "th" sound.

Also, you may want to be more careful with your posts, because you've been repeating a lot of information that's already been stated, and that clearly falls under the jurisdiction of the "No Me-Too Posts" rule.