Unreleased US Dragon Ball BGM projects

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Unreleased US Dragon Ball BGM projects

Post by Taku128 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:55 pm

MetalMadness wrote:I don't see why FUNimation would own the music when they never even use it anymore, that would be just a waste of money on their part
FUNi still sells the Dragon Ball Z Season Sets, which include the Faulconer score on them. If they were to sell the rights to someone else they'd have to pay to license that music for the Season Sets.
­

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:12 pm

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote: Here's my favourite track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efR4kpts6eg
Your favorite track is not Groovy Disco Tech therefore your favorite track is invalid!
(No but seriously this is a cool track too, 3rd favorite of mine. 2nd favorite is Ginyu's Transformation.)
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:51 pm

Blue wrote:
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote: Here's my favourite track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efR4kpts6eg
Your favorite track is not Groovy Disco Tech therefore your favorite track is invalid!
lol, I recorded Groovy Disco Tech and even I can't stand it. Thanks though ^^
- Scott
http://morganstudios.com

MetalMadness
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetalMadness » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:06 am

Ah I see...

So I guess it's kinda hopeless to see the unreleased tracks officially released

Best stick to ripping them... speaking of which, coycoy, I've been meaning to ask how exactly you rip your music? I've noticed you've riped tracks in HQ that have a TON of SFX and voices in the back, such as King Cold and Trunks talk.

How did you do it?

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:36 am

Blue wrote:
(No but seriously this is a cool track too, 3rd favorite of mine. 2nd favorite is Ginyu's Transformation.)
Lol, Ginyu Transformation was just epic.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:36 am

Blue wrote:
Lol, Ginyu Transformation was just epic.

Coycoy88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Coycoy88 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:18 am

MetalMadness wrote: Coycoy, I've been meaning to ask how exactly you rip your music? I've noticed you've riped tracks in HQ that have a TON of SFX and voices in the back, such as King Cold and Trunks talk. How did you do it?
I have to do a lot of things. xD To many things than I'd care to explain. Some tracks are just a big pain in the ass to rip. D: It takes a lot of time, and work for most tracks. I do mess around with audacity for the most part. But a lot of the techniques I use, I had to teach myself.

Anyway, here's another thing I whipped up after 4 days of working on and off on it. It's a 9 minute plus compilation of some of my favorite unreleased Frieza Based themes. Or guess you could say that they are themes that reminded me of him in general. xD

Frieza's Theme Compilation
My Youtube account (Coycoy88)

I primarily rip and upload unreleased Faulconer Productions music, as well as some other American dub music.

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:41 am

Coycoy88 wrote:
MetalMadness wrote: Coycoy, I've been meaning to ask how exactly you rip your music? I've noticed you've riped tracks in HQ that have a TON of SFX and voices in the back, such as King Cold and Trunks talk. How did you do it?
I have to do a lot of things. xD To many things than I'd care to explain. Some tracks are just a big pain in the ass to rip. D: It takes a lot of time, and work for most tracks. I do mess around with audacity for the most part. But a lot of the techniques I use, I had to teach myself.
We're all ears. :)

I have a hunch it's phase reversal.

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:27 pm

He once told me he didn't do that, though it theoretically could work with a lot of trouble. One technique is if you have a 5.1 wave, dialogue is usually in the center channel. Music is in left\right. So if you get the 5.1 surround and kill the center channel you can get cleared music.

Another is just take all the clear instances of a given track and fade them all together, like putting a puzzle together.

Also I remember there was an alt version of the Imperfect Cell Theme that was ripped from the DVD menu, not the show.
- Scott

MetalMadness
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetalMadness » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:31 pm

Unfortunately though Bruce's soundtrack is only in 2.0 stereo, not 5.1 surround, otherwise it would have been so easy to rip the tracks.

How does this "phrase reversal" work? I'm more than willing to put in my time and effort into ripping the tracks.

I'd personally just like to help with the whole process

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:38 pm

MetalMadness wrote:Unfortunately though Bruce's soundtrack is only in 2.0 stereo, not 5.1 surround, otherwise it would have been so easy to rip the tracks.

How does this "phrase reversal" work? I'm more than willing to put in my time and effort into ripping the tracks.

That's exactly why it works. The DVDs are in 5.1. The music is stereo. So

DVD

Left = Music

Right = Music

Center = Dialogue

LEft Surround

Right Surround

Extract Left and Right only to make a music file.

Btw, this Frieza compilation is amazing man! :)
- Scott

MetalMadness
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetalMadness » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:52 pm

cRookie_Monster wrote:
MetalMadness wrote:Unfortunately though Bruce's soundtrack is only in 2.0 stereo, not 5.1 surround, otherwise it would have been so easy to rip the tracks.

That's exactly why it works. The DVDs are in 5.1. The music is stereo. So

DVD

Left = Music

Right = Music

Center = Dialogue

LEft Surround

Right Surround

Extract Left and Right only to make a music file.

Btw, this Freeza compilation is amazing man! :)
Really? From my encodes of the Season Sets, there is dialogue on the left, right, and center. It's impossible to isolate the music on its own for me..

Well it's that simple, why are there still a few samples and themes we can't rip?

Coycoy88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Coycoy88 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:15 pm

aha, Well Scott seems to have explained it better than I could have. ^^

Some tracks can be ripped, while others cant. It just depends on how the audio is set up. Like on the remastered DVD's, episodes 184 to (I think) 191 the audio is set up different than it normally is. The sfx seem to be on the same sound layer as the music. That's why when I ripped the Extended version of the SSJ Vegeta theme that played as Vegeta attacked Super Perfect Cell, you can clearly hear the sfx. Oh, and if one of the characters begin talking to themselves inside their own head,that echo-ish effect Funimation adds, leaks into the music channel. All in all, when you rip a track it's hit-N-miss. :P

Lol..... this is random but, who agrees that it would of been awesome if Funi would of added a DVD feature to the remastered sets, that would allow you to turn off the sfx and vocals? or vice versa? :D The dvd of the movie Beetlejuice lets you do that. XD
My Youtube account (Coycoy88)

I primarily rip and upload unreleased Faulconer Productions music, as well as some other American dub music.

MetalMadness
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetalMadness » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:57 pm

Coycoy88 wrote:aha, Well Scott seems to have explained it better than I could have. ^^

Some tracks can be ripped, while others cant. It just depends on how the audio is set up. Like on the remastered DVD's, episodes 184 to (I think) 191 the audio is set up different than it normally is. The sfx seem to be on the same sound layer as the music. That's why when I ripped the Extended version of the SSJ Vegeta theme that played as Vegeta attacked Super Perfect Cell, you can clearly hear the sfx. Oh, and if one of the characters begin talking to themselves inside their own head,that echo-ish effect Funimation adds, leaks into the music channel. All in all, when you rip a track it's hit-N-miss. :P

Lol..... this is random but, who agrees that it would of been awesome if Funi would of added a DVD feature to the remastered sets, that would allow you to turn off the sfx and vocals? or vice versa? :D The dvd of the movie Beetlejuice lets you do that. XD
Oh I see, and what do you use to separate the sfx and the music? Because whenever I bring the files into Vegas Pro and isolate it to the left or the right, I can still hear all the voices and the SFX :S

Whenever I bring in a 5.1 file though, I can isolate the voices or the music easily.

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:17 pm

MetalMadness wrote:
Really? From my encodes of the Season Sets, there is dialogue on the left, right, and center. It's impossible to isolate the music on its own for me..

Well it's that simple, why are there still a few samples and themes we can't rip?

Well maybe Funi doesn't know what they are doing, if it's like that. Standard 5.1 practice is to put dialogue in center channel and music in stereo speakers.
- Scott

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:53 pm

MetalMadness wrote:
Coycoy88 wrote:aha, Well Scott seems to have explained it better than I could have. ^^

Oh I see, and what do you use to separate the sfx and the music? Because whenever I bring the files into Vegas Pro and isolate it to the left or the right, I can still hear all the voices and the SFX :S

Whenever I bring in a 5.1 file though, I can isolate the voices or the music easily.
He must remove the vocals manually, like using the vocal remover tool in Soundbooth. That's all I can think of. I tried that shit though, many times. It really doesn't work very well...unless Coycoy is just a master at it.

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:18 am

Vocal removers are just another way of doing phase reversal stuff.

They assume the dialougue is mono. YOu invert one channel of a stereo pair and add it to the other channel. So anything that was mono gets cancelled out (bc it was the same on both sides). Anything that was stereo remains, but loses quality....

The method I was suggesting for phase reversal was different. It requires:

1. Scene has to have no Japanese music
2. Take the sfx and dialougue with no music.
3. Invert it
4. add it to the version with the music you want (perfectly in sync, I mean PERFECT!!)
5. sfx and dialogue are cancelled.

Inverting audio mean this
1_________________1
_____0 _______0 _____0
_________-1 ____________-1

becomes this

_________1 ____________1
_____0 _____0 ___ 0
-1 ____________-1

So if you add them together...
1 + -1 = 0
0 + 0 = 0
-1 + 1 = 0

etc.
- Scott

MetalMadness
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetalMadness » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:27 pm

cRookie_Monster wrote:Vocal removers are just another way of doing phase reversal stuff.

They assume the dialougue is mono. YOu invert one channel of a stereo pair and add it to the other channel. So anything that was mono gets cancelled out (bc it was the same on both sides). Anything that was stereo remains, but loses quality....

The method I was suggesting for phase reversal was different. It requires:

1. Scene has to have no Japanese music
2. Take the sfx and dialougue with no music.
3. Invert it
4. add it to the version with the music you want (perfectly in sync, I mean PERFECT!!)
5. sfx and dialogue are cancelled.

Inverting audio mean this
1_________________1
_____0 _______0 _____0
_________-1 ____________-1

becomes this

_________1 ____________1
_____0 _____0 ___ 0
-1 ____________-1

So if you add them together...
1 + -1 = 0
0 + 0 = 0
-1 + 1 = 0

etc.
I understand everything you said up to the "add it to the version with the music you want"

What do you mean by add it? Right now, I have two audio files in Vegas Pro, one with no music and one with the music I want to rip, and I clicked "invert phase" on the one without music, and i perfectly synced and aligned the two files, then exported it as one new file, but I still have SFX and vocals?

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:46 pm

Add = mix.

There's different ways in different apps. In a wave editor its usually mix paste or something like that(copy one, and then paste it over the other). In a DAW it'd just a matter of lining the two files up and then exporting. The other trick is the stuff you are cancelling has to be the same volume.

IE if
2_________________2
_____0 _______0 _____0
_________-2 ____________-2

is mixed with

_________1 ____________1
_____0 _____0 ___ 0
-1 ____________-1

It will reduce the volume of the sound by half, not get rid of it completely.
2+ -1 = 1
0 + 0 = 0
-2 + 1 = 1
- Scott

MetalMadness
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetalMadness » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:19 pm

cRookie_Monster wrote:Add = mix.

There's different ways in different apps. In a wave editor its usually mix paste or something like that(copy one, and then paste it over the other). In a DAW it'd just a matter of lining the two files up and then exporting. The other trick is the stuff you are cancelling has to be the same volume.

IE if
2_________________2
_____0 _______0 _____0
_________-2 ____________-2

is mixed with

_________1 ____________1
_____0 _____0 ___ 0
-1 ____________-1

It will reduce the volume of the sound by half, not get rid of it completely.
2+ -1 = 1
0 + 0 = 0
-2 + 1 = 1
weird, its still not working for me :\ oh well maybe this just doesnt work on vegas pro

thanks anyway