Future Kai DUB Re-casts speculation

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.
User avatar
Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here
Posts: 2755
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:31 pm

Re: Future Kai DUB Re-casts speculation

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:34 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
Goku100xKamehameha wrote:How about Jheese with that Australian accent?
Somehow, I'm not bothered by that. I wonder why? :P
*looking at location*
Yeah! I have no idea too! :lol: But seriously! I prefer Jheese have an Brooklyn accent like in the Japanese version

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6332
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: Future Kai DUB Re-casts speculation

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:56 am

Goku100xKamehameha wrote:I prefer Jheese have an Brooklyn accent like in the Japanese version
:lol: What?! :lol:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

User avatar
Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here
Posts: 2755
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:31 pm

Re: Future Kai DUB Re-casts speculation

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:59 am

I think I read somewhere that Brooklyn accent!

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5407
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:49 pm

Re: Future Kai DUB Re-casts speculation

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:10 am

Goku100xKamehameha wrote:I think I read somewhere that Brooklyn accent!
You read wrong. Here's what he sounds like in the Japanese version.

User avatar
Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here
Posts: 2755
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:31 pm

Re: Future Kai DUB Re-casts speculation

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:13 am

It's not me who's wrong! it's the provider of the information who's wrong! you I think never heard Jheese before? I already heard it million times!

dragonpiece
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:10 am
Contact:

Re: Future Kai DUB Re-casts speculation

Post by dragonpiece » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:49 am

Goku100xKamehameha wrote:It's not me who's wrong! it's the provider of the information who's wrong! you I think never heard Jheese before? I already heard it million times!
If you already know how it sounded, why the hell did you say he had a Brooklyn accent?
Twitter.com/Dragonpiece

User avatar
Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 7000
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:31 am
Location: The Martial Arts World

Re: Future Kai DUB Re-casts speculation

Post by Kendamu » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:13 pm

dragonpiece wrote:
Goku100xKamehameha wrote:It's not me who's wrong! it's the provider of the information who's wrong! you I think never heard Jheese before? I already heard it million times!
If you already know how it sounded, why the hell did you say he had a Brooklyn accent?
Maybe he doesn't know what a Brooklyn accent sounds like.

User avatar
penguintruth
Banned
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Future Kai DUB Re-casts speculation

Post by penguintruth » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:21 pm

How does one do a Brooklyn accent in Japanese?

I guess it might exist, but I wouldn't notice.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.


Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6332
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: Future Kai DUB Re-casts speculation

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:26 pm

penguintruth wrote:How does one do a Brooklyn accent in Japanese?

I guess it might exist, but I wouldn't notice.
Beat me to it. I was about to ask the same thing! :lol:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

User avatar
Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 7000
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:31 am
Location: The Martial Arts World

Re: Future Kai DUB Re-casts speculation

Post by Kendamu » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:29 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:How does one do a Brooklyn accent in Japanese?

I guess it might exist, but I wouldn't notice.
Beat me to it. I was about to ask the same thing! :lol:
I've never heard of a Brooklyn accent in Japanese, but I figure it would be similar to doing a Japanese accent while speaking English.

User avatar
Innagadadavida
I Live Here
Posts: 3480
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:25 am
Location: Arkansas, USA

Re: Future Kai DUB Re-casts speculation

Post by Innagadadavida » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:36 pm

Are we talking Brooklyn Japanese to Japanese or Brooklyn English to Japanese? As in, a native Japanese speaker from Brooklyn, or a native English speaker from Brooklyn speaking Japanese? Is there really that much of a difference? I can't tell if somebody is from the south or north of Japan based on their accent in English. Although, I never tried.

This is fucking stupid. It's another useless, stupid, pointless post by Goku100xKamehameha. Why are we talking about this?

User avatar
Xyex
I Live Here
Posts: 4978
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:15 am
Location: The 7th moon of nowhere, right-side of forever
Contact:

Re: Future Kai DUB Re-casts speculation

Post by Xyex » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:13 pm

ohaimynameiserik wrote:I'm making an assumption based off the fact that you haven't given a single reason why Clinkenbeard's is so bad or why Nadolny's is so good.

All you've said is basically "I like the old one better". And about 90% of the time, people who are into the "old" stuff, usually just don't like change and are going to hate on the new stuff simply due to the fact that it's different. It won't matter how much absolutely better Nadolny's replacement is, they're always going to say they want some "O.G. NADOLNY".
And again, this kind of argument is just bullshit that gets pulled out when you HAVE no argument. If this were true I'd be complaining about the FUNi cast as a whole, and clamoring to have Ocean back. Ocean was first, it was Ocean I watched for two seasons. Over. And over. And over. And over. Because I never missed a single re-run episode.

Yes, my initial reaction to the voice changes in S3 was "Ugh, these suck" (with the exception of Young, who was 10x better than Newstone). But then they improved, and I liked them. In fact, by and large, I think FUNi's Z dub is better than Ocean's. This is not something that a 'nostalgia based opinion' would allow.

Let's also not forget the fact that I agreed with FUNi replacing Gohan's voice. I love Nadolny's Gohan in the Android/Cell arc, it's great there, but I was so not a fan of her kid Gohan voice. Plus, they were casting Coleen Clinkenbeard to do the role. It was awesome. I was happy.

Then I heard it.

Now, unlike JJ I'm not arguing it's worse than Nadolny's. It's just not any better, either. Both of them are annoying and neither one works right. Kid Gohan is one of the few Ocean voices I find to be far superior to the FUNi ones, original or Kai.

Rial's Bulma, on the other hand, I would love to see go, and have Vollmer back. What I've heard of Kai Bulma is pure annoying prissy valley girl, and I just can't figure out how anyone hears anything else. It's like a pink whale in the room. Maybe we just have a lot of people color blind to pink. >>

Kai Freeza has also been a major disappointment. I disliked their decision to change Freeza mid production right from start, largely because it was made mid production. But also because their first two major replacements were such let downs. Gohan was no where near as good as he should have been, in fact being the same as the old one, and Bulma was worse. So far, so has the new Freeza. It's been really bland and dull thus far.

But then, I'm not surprised, since it was changed so late in the game. The VA has no experience with the character and the voice and is learning on the fly. Maybe by the time Goku shows up on the planet he'll have some actual personality in the voice, and stop slipping between bored Newstone imitation and Captain Janeway impersonation every few lines.
MR.Mark wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote: Well, um, I'm glad you think that. We'll just have to agree to disagree.
I don't need to think it, I know good acting and age appropriate voices when I hear them. Your just a vocal minority that is doing a terrible job trying to back up why you think Naldony is better. I call Nostalgia Bullshit on you good sir.
And I call "Anti-Nostalgia Bullshit" on you. You like it because it's not Nadolny. The fact you disliked Nadolny's voice so much, and the fact it's so different than hers, is the only reason you like it.

To paraphrase ohaimynameiserik:
It won't matter how much absolutely annoying Nadolny's replacement is, they're always going to say they want some "NOT NADOLNY"

See how that works?

Hell, I see about the same thing with the new Freeza. It's more stylistically similar to the JP version, so the fact that the actual ACTING is horrible is being completely overlooked.

Again, once he's got some experience with the voice and is able to be consistent, and quits sounding quit so bored, I could see it being a good voice. But as it stands, it's just poor.
Metalwario64 wrote:I vouch for this as well guys. I'm not trying to mod, but I want to see this thread go somewhere positive! :)

Anyway, it seems the only known Ginyu Force recasts are for Burter and Guldo. I don't know why Guldo is being recast, as he was one of the members who weren't Sabat. I hope Jeice and Recoome are also going to be recast, and since Armstrong as retired, it's only logical that Ginyu will be recast as well, and we know it's not going to be Hebert, unfortunately breaking the chain of having Kamina be the voice of Ginyu... :cry:
I'm still pulling for Schemmel as Ginyu. It's the role he wanted in the first place, and I can see it being pretty awesome in the end. It'd also make the whole voice swapping during the body swapping less stupid sounding.
MR.Mark wrote:I appreciate the topic at hand.

Anyway, While I have no doubt Sabat with his current acting talent could pull off a better Recoome. I say recast for just the simple point of keeping variety amongst the voices. Hearing a new great non-Sabat Zarbon alone has been most refreshing.
Eh, new Zarbon's ok, but he's just not... 'smooth' enough. He doesn't have that little flare that Sabat managed. The "I'm awesome and I know it" voice. It's close, but not quite there.

Still much better than the new Dodoria was. Oi.

As for Recoome, I could see Sabat doing something well for him, but I think a new voice all together might be better. Less chance of him being drawn toward the old voice, or slipping into it, or whatever, if someone else does it. Recoome never really annoyed me, not like a few others, but it always felt off, so something new would be good.
Innagadadavida wrote:Are we talking Brooklyn Japanese to Japanese or Brooklyn English to Japanese? As in, a native Japanese speaker from Brooklyn, or a native English speaker from Brooklyn speaking Japanese? Is there really that much of a difference? I can't tell if somebody is from the south or north of Japan based on their accent in English. Although, I never tried.

This is fucking stupid. It's another useless, stupid, pointless post by Goku100xKamehameha. Why are we talking about this?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

For some reason I think there would be a noticable difference between a native English speaker with a Brooklyn accent speaking Japanese and a native Japanese speaker with a Brooklyn accent. I'm not sure why, though. I do know, however, that I would love to hear both. :lol:
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6332
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: Future Kai DUB Re-casts speculation

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:56 pm

Xyex wrote: And again, this kind of argument is just bullshit that gets pulled out when you HAVE no argument. If this were true I'd be complaining about the FUNi cast as a whole, and clamoring to have Ocean back. Ocean was first, it was Ocean I watched for two seasons. Over. And over. And over. And over. Because I never missed a single re-run episode.
I very much agree with this. I like FUNi's cast (a great majority of it anyway, minus many of Sabat's extraneous roles) not out of nostalgia, but I genuinly think they are good, because if my "dub preference" was based entirely off of nostalgia, it would be the Ocean cast I'd clamor for, considering I sat through countless Ocean dub reruns to the point that I didn't even care about the cast change, and even welcomed it if it meant continuing the story, I just wanted to finally get some "new" episodes! :lol: Well stated. (Although I do like Clinkenbeard and Rial better than Nadolny and Volmer... :^p)
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

User avatar
penguintruth
Banned
Posts: 4861
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Future Kai DUB Re-casts speculation

Post by penguintruth » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:19 pm

Some of the Funimation voices have gotten better for Kai, but on the whole, the voices went from mediocre to complete shit (like Bulma's voice) when Funimation took over for Ocean in Z, and many never improved, or improved very little. Most of the actual good performers were cast much later on, during the late Cell or Buu arc. Fortunately, Kai's better script has compensated for some of that, as well as the great re-casts.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.


Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

User avatar
Puto
I Live Here
Posts: 2673
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:40 am
Location: Portugal, Oeiras

Re: Future Kai DUB Re-casts speculation

Post by Puto » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:22 pm

Kai dub Great Elder voice is here.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

User avatar
JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter
Posts: 18930
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Location: 🏳️‍⚧️🍉

Re: Future Kai DUB Re-casts speculation

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:29 pm

Puto wrote:Kai dub Great Elder voice is here.
Sounds a lot like Doc Morgan. Might very well be, actually.
💙💜💖 She/Her 💙💜💖
6–4, 3–6, 6–1, 3–6, 6–3

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6332
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: Future Kai DUB Re-casts speculation

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:35 pm

Puto wrote:Kai dub Great Elder voice is here.
Yay, Sabat's given up another role! :lol: Very convincing performance.

Fr­ieza's voice here sounds even better as well, as Ayres has truly lost all of the rasp, and he sounds even more manly than ever. :P Also, as I've noticed more and more as time went on, he is continuing to lose more and more of the "Newstone/Young impression" in his voice, and I think that now he has finally, as I assumed he would, made the role his own. I love how he sounds so gentlemanly!
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

User avatar
Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here
Posts: 2755
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:31 pm

Re: Future Kai DUB Re-casts speculation

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:40 pm

Kendamu wrote:
dragonpiece wrote:
Goku100xKamehameha wrote:It's not me who's wrong! it's the provider of the information who's wrong! you I think never heard Jheese before? I already heard it million times!
If you already know how it sounded, why the hell did you say he had a Brooklyn accent?
Maybe he doesn't know what a Brooklyn accent sounds like.
I know how Brooklyn accent sounds like.

User avatar
Mewzard
I Live Here
Posts: 2009
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:02 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: Future Kai DUB Re-casts speculation

Post by Mewzard » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:02 pm

You know, Schemmel as Ginyu would be interesting. He really did want that role, back when he didn't know much of the series. Plus, he's only 3 roles in the series, with one being rather brief (Nail). I think he could pull it off without sounding too close to his other voices.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

User avatar
ohaimynameiserik
Regular
Posts: 658
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:08 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Future Kai DUB Re-casts speculation

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:17 pm

Xyex wrote:Hell, I see about the same thing with the new Freeza. It's more stylistically similar to the JP version, so the fact that the actual ACTING is horrible is being completely overlooked.
Compared to Young's acting, Chris Ayres' is phenomenal.

Also, what kind of argument is "Oh, just because it's more like the Japanese counterpart that doesn't mean that it's any better"?

Because yes, actually, it does.

Post Reply