Yamucha question

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Mon May 09, 2005 5:18 pm

That's what I thought too, Wahwahwah, but Luffy's name is pronounced "Loo-fee"

Caracal
Regular

Post by Caracal » Mon May 09, 2005 5:33 pm

I had noticed a simularity between Yamcha and Tsukutsun Tsun, though the idea that the scars were to make the two of them different never really crossed my mind. Makes sense though.

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Mon May 09, 2005 7:33 pm

You can say it SHOULD be pronounced "Luf-fee," but watch the anime and it's clear as day "Loo-fee."

This is really off-topic, though.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue May 10, 2005 12:40 am

Wahwahwah wrote:Judging by the way "Luffy" is spelled, I would say it's pronounced this way:

Luf-fee. The reason is the fact that the "u" usually makes an "oo" sound, but in Japanese there is almost no syllable stress, and it's spoken so quickly that the "oo" sound can very easily be a short "u" sound. Also, in Japanese, when there are two consonants together, (Ex.: Battousai), the two have seperate sounds, instead of sharing the same sound. The "f" also shares a sound with the "h", as the "f" is not pronounced the same as we do, it is pronounced by bringing your teeth close to your lip, instead of on it. Anyways, ending this paragraph will be the discussion of the "y", as it is weird to have a Japanese word end with a "y". This is because the "y" doesn't really have a sound except in the case where it's at the beginning, like "Yama", and it is more of a transition between sounds, Ex.: "Kiyoraka". So, this is more likely an Engrish thing, and if so, would be pronounced "ee".
Of course, then that would make it more likely to be a whole Engrish word, in which case, the proper pronunciation would be the English one, "Luh-fee".

Of course, this whole discourse has just been my own observations from my amount of knowledge of the Japanese language. I've actually never taken any classes, and I don't really intend to try, as no one here speaks the language!!! So, please excuse me if I actually show some amount of knowledge on the subject whilst at the same time have absolutely no personal experience.
No offense, but you just came off as sounding very arrogant while at the same time like you know nothing. Not that I can really judge that much as my knowledge of Japanese is quite limited at best, but at least I can admit that. Look at where you just stated that you have some amount of knowledge, but have no experience. That has to be one of the biggest oxymorons I've ever heard. Plus when you start claiming that people like Julian and Rachel are "sucky" concerning the language in your intro thread, you need to realize how disrespectful you are being to people that actually have put in the time and effort to properly study and get experience with the language, both in speaking and written form.

You may develop all the theories you want about the pronunciation of Luffy's name, but it's a well established fact that the pronunciation is "Loo-fee". Please understand that I'm just trying to make you see how a lot of what you're saying is your youth and inexperience talking.

Sorry about getting further off topic here, but I felt some things were overdue to be said.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Tue May 10, 2005 1:31 am

Jerseymilk wrote:<!-- *clipped* Long, well thought out rant, about how Wahwahwah is arrogant *clipped* -->
I have nothing better to do, so I'll support you in this 'hardcore ownage' you've just unleashed upon Wahwah. You go, girl. 8)

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Tue May 10, 2005 3:02 am

(This is getting off-topic, but whatever. I'll add my own flames to the fire.)

"I'm Luffy! The man who will be the Pirate King" (mp3 / 320kbps, ~320K)
"Me? I'm Monkey D. Luffy. Nice ta meetcha! Hehe." (mp3 / 320kbps, ~240K)

Both taken from the first episode of the TV show. :)
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Tue May 10, 2005 1:42 pm

I just listened to those sound files Julian... and I can't believe how much better the voice actor for Luffy sounds for the original, compared to the American. It's like night and day... it's such a nice voice.

Now I really, really want to see One Piece in its original form. Heh.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Tue May 10, 2005 2:45 pm

It's good ol' Kuririn-san!!

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue May 10, 2005 4:15 pm

I'd just like to apologize in advance in case I come of as somewhat arrogant in this post.
lost in thought wrote:
Mizugi wrote:Using Japanese phonetics, her name is pronounced "Ah-rah-lay."
Nice to know, thanks. I figured the dub's pronunciation was slightly a-miss, however I had no evidence to prove/disprove etc.
That's always the case. As far as I've seen, americans never even attempt to pronounce japanese words right.
No problem, figuring out the Japanese pronunciations of vowels without instruction is tricky. Therein lies the "Loo-fee" "Luff-ee" conundrum.
See, this is only a problem for those who speak english. Japanese pronounciation is extremely straightforward, the words are pronounced exactly the way they are written. The english language is the problem , as your pronounciation is way off. Pretty much every single person whose first language is not english, and who is familiar with roman letters, would have no problems at all pronouncing romanized japanese correctly.

I should dig up some swedish Sailor Moon voice clips some day, to show you how the pronounciation of names is almost spot-on. And, swedes can pronounce english correctly as well.