Kai Episode 69 (22 August 2010)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Kai Episode 69 (22 August 2010)

Post by RazorX » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:53 am

MR.Mark wrote:Um, no, Ocean clearly copied Clark's Cell voice, or at least tried to, with horrid results.
No he didn't. Wilson clearly did his own thing. If there was copying going on, it has to be Clarke copying Wilson, due to the amount of straining in Clarke's voice. Clarke was forcing the voice out of him (though it reduced for Cell's final form) the result was an unnatural sounding voice.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:02 pm

His own thing, was his stupid opera singing Cell, with the first form Cell clearly imitating Clarks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56ZA0dza3JY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBAj2CGuHAg Here's a clip with Cell fighting Scott's #16, which sounds like McNeil is choking on his own cock.

Also, you need your hearing checked if you couldn't tell any difference between Clark's voices for Cell. Wakamoto is the man, but Clark had some talent too. If Z was dubbed properly, I actually wouldn't mind his insectoid voice for imperfect Cell, it had some creepiness to it.

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by RazorX » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:30 pm

You keep bringing up one yell from Wilson's Perfect Cell in a vain attempt to generalise his voice.

Again, if there was imitation going on, it's logical that Clarke was the one imitating Wilson, based on both of their performances, because Wilson doesn't sound strained, unlike Clarke. Wilson's voice flows easily and it sounds natural. Wilson also has the tendency to "stretch out" certain words for his Imperfect Cell voice, similar to what Wakamoto is doing for Kai. Plus you seem to be forgetting that FUNimation was the one who had almost their entire cast imitate the Ocean Group. When Ocean returned, Funimation probably had a field day, they could now rely on copying Ocean for the entire series like they did with the Ginyu episodes onwards. :lol:
MR.Mark wrote: you need your hearing checked
Before you accuse others, perhaps you should get your own hearing checked, and get your eyes tested while you're at it. I did not say that Clarke's voices were the same for all 3 forms of Cell, I said that Ocean's voices for Imperfect Cell and 2nd form Cell have a bigger difference than Funimation's equivalent. Clarke's voice for Imperfect Cell and 2nd form Cell are different, but the difference is not as big as Wilson's voice. Wilson's 2nd form Cell is noticeably deeper and flows easily, it's confident and menacing. Clarke's 2nd form Cell is the most strained out of his voices, it's like he's heaving every word out his mouth, sometimes I could barely understand what he was saying.

I don't know why the hell you bothered bringing up McNeil's #16, it has nothing to do with Cell's voices. #16 is definitely not McNeil's best role, but it's better than the generic "robot" voice in the Funimation dub.
Last edited by RazorX on Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:36 pm

Account warnings have been issued. Any further infractions will result in a temporary or permanent ban.

If you folks cannot converse nicely and respectfully, you will no longer be posting on this forum.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:37 pm

MR.Mark wrote:His own thing, was his stupid opera singing Cell, with the first form Cell clearly imitating Clarks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56ZA0dza3JY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBAj2CGuHAg Here's a clip with Cell fighting Scott's #16, which sounds like McNeil is choking on his own cock.

Also, you need your hearing checked if you couldn't tell any difference between Clark's voices for Cell. Wakamoto is the man, but Clark had some talent too. If Z was dubbed properly, I actually wouldn't mind his insectoid voice for imperfect Cell, it had some creepiness to it.

That voice for Cell in the 2nd Ocean clip reminds me of that green rabbit from CatDog. :P
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:27 pm

RazorX wrote: Again, if there was imitation going on, it's logical that Clarke was the one imitating Wilson
Actually, that's completely illogical, as the FUNI dub clearly was produced before the "ocean one" of the Cell era episodes, and that's the last I'll say on this subject.

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by RazorX » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:49 pm

The Funi dub of the Cell saga was aired before the Ocean dub, but production wise Ocean overtook Funi during either the Cell or Buu saga. Ocean's Kid Buu saga was broadcast months before Funi. Because we don't know their production processes, we go by the performance on the episodes. It could be that one company records the voices before adding in the music and sfx. Not forgetting that Ocean added in a lot of modern sfx which does take time to align with the scenes as well other aspects such as volume and timing. They shared the scripts and video footage so it's more than likely that their voice actors listened to each other's performances before the episodes were completed for broadcast. Even now Sean Schemmel claimed to have listened to the Ocean dub of Kai, which we haven't heard as of yet. It makes sense considering we discovered that Ocean actually does the editing for the TV broadcast of Kai.

I'm going by the performances, I feel that Clarke strains his voice too much, especially in the 2nd form, like he's forcing a certain type of tone out, at the expense of character. Again, I'll add that I feel his straining is not as bad in his final form as his second form. His first form does sound insectoid like, but it is devoid of the sinister eerieness and creepyness which are in Dale Wilson's first form Cell and Nario Wakamoto's first form Cell in Kai.

I'm glad that Funimation have recast Cell in their Kai dub. Travis Willingham apparently did the voice for Cell in Raging Blast. From what little I've heard of it at behindthevoices.com voice comparison site, it sounds slightly less strained than Clarke but it is clear that Travis is imitating Wilson for first form Cell and Clarke for Final form Cell. Hopefully Funimation will have the sense to let him do his own thing in Kai....somewhat.

Freeza's been recast, Cell has been recast, it would be nice if Funimation continued this trend and recast Buu in Kai, so every major villain would be recast.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:07 pm

At the end of the day, both DBZ dubs were terrible so arguing this is pointless. Hopefully in Kai Cell will be done justice in his perfect form is all I have to say right now.

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:14 pm

MR.Mark wrote:At the end of the day, both DBZ dubs were terrible so arguing this is pointless. Hopefully in Kai Cell will be done justice in his perfect form is all I have to say right now.
Travis W. will be replacing Clarke. And his Cell voice is a cheap imitation of his, so it's going to sound like shit. See Raging Blast.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by RazorX » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:21 pm

MR.Mark wrote:At the end of the day, both DBZ dubs were terrible so arguing this is pointless. Hopefully in Kai Cell will be done justice in his perfect form is all I have to say right now.
I'll agree that the Funimation Z dub was overall terrible but I view the Ocean Westwood Z dub as really good.

As far as Perfect Cell goes, I'd say it's bad luck Funimation managed to find someone who can sound as close to Clarke's Perfect Cell form as Willingham has done. That was for a video game so hopefully Funimation will ask Willingham to do his own voice rather than imitate Clarke as closely as he did in Raging Blast.

Some people claim that Funi's Kai dub Oolong is an imitation of Brad Jackson but I find it closer to Alec Willows myself. Funimation has had imitation voices in Kai (though the ones I'm thinking of are actually decent imitations of the Ocean voices so I'm OK with them :D ) but we'll see how Cell turns out.
Perfect wrote:Travis W. will be replacing Clarke. And his Cell voice is a cheap imitation of his, so it's going to sound like shit. See Raging Blast.
That's why I say it's bad luck at how Funi managed to find someone who can imitate Clarke's Perfect Cell voice this closely. But by some stroke of sense Funi might ask Travis to not imitate Clarke for Kai, considering the massive difference in effort Funi is putting in Kai compared to the lack of effort Funi puts in the videogames.

Soul
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Soul » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:16 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't count Willingham out or as a cheat imitator just yet.
Heck, they didn't replace Linda Young in Raging Blast for Freeza so we could see, performance wise something quite different for Willingham's Cell.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:21 pm

Soul wrote:Yeah, I wouldn't count Willingham out or as a cheat imitator just yet.
Heck, they didn't replace Linda Young in Raging Blast for Freeza so we could see, performance wise something quite different for Willingham's Cell.
I would hope the man just acts. His natural voice is unique enough, without needing to resort to imitations.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Soul
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Soul » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:27 pm

And his acting both FMA series and even as Ace in One Piece is proof he's got the ability.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:46 am

Good, cuz while Clark had some talent, and his imperfect Cell had charm, his Perfect Cell lacked edge and rage. I blame that mainly on the voice direction, as Clark certainly had this throaty ruggedness that with the right delivery, could of been great. Certainly better than opera singing Cell, but then anything's better than that rushed dub. Hopefully like Gohan, Bulma, and Freeza, Willingham will be able to for the most part do his own thing with the character to great results.

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:28 am

MR.Mark wrote:Good, cuz while Clark had some talent, and his imperfect Cell had charm, his Perfect Cell lacked edge and rage. I blame that mainly on the voice direction, as Clark certainly had this throaty ruggedness that with the right delivery, could of been great. Certainly better than opera singing Cell, but then anything's better than that rushed dub. Hopefully like Gohan, Bulma, and Freeza, Willingham will be able to for the most part do his own thing with the character to great results.
Gohan's new voice is anything but great.

@Innagadadavida below
I think I threw up a little in my mouth.
Last edited by Perfect on Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:36 am

Perfect wrote:Gohan's new voice is anything but great.
You're right... It's fantastic.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:26 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:
Perfect wrote:Gohan's new voice is anything but great.
You're right... It's fantastic.
Right up there as one the best voices in the entire dub, for sure.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:15 am

If there's anything worse than dub vs. sub arguments... it's definitely dub vs. dub arguments.

Anyway, damn, Wakamoto's new Cell voice sounds fucking insane at times!
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:38 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:If there's anything worse than dub vs. sub arguments... it's definitely dub vs. dub arguments.
Stan Lee: Nuff said!