DragonBall Z Kai TV Network Version (CW4Kids\Toonzai\Vortex)

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: DragonBall Z Kai TV Network Version (CW4Kids\Toonzai) Edits!

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:20 am

So... we just shouldn't talk about it then? I'm really not sure what it is you're getting at, or even what your opinion on the subject is. Are you pro-censorship? Anti-censorship? Anti-talking-about-real-life-issues-related-to-a-cartoon-we-spend-most-of-our-time-here-talking-about? Why not talk about it, especially in a thread that's about edits? If Tanooki would prefer the topic not get into this area, I'll leave that up to him. But if you don't want to talk about it, why complain at those who do?
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:25 am

Personally, I think that what each individual thinks is okay for their children to see is too subjective to find any sort of comfortable middle ground. There are thousands of religions and cultures to take into consideration. I don't want to force anything on anyone because I don't want anyone forcing anything on me. Therefore, safely covering every possible base (blue-mushrooms and digitally painted weenies and all) is the most logical and financially responsible decision in this day and age. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it too considering we still have uncut DVDs and Blu-Rays. I wouldn't change a damn thing about our situation right now.

I'm ecstatic that Dragon Ball is on TV. I'm so happy that kids get to watch a great cartoon with a great English dub to boot. I hope it means the franchise succeeds because I want more video games/movies/toys/ext.

But, hey man... Respect for spinning my antagonistic comments into something productive.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:33 am

Well, see, I feel the same way you do, but that's the reason I don't want censorship. Let the parent figure out what he/she is comfortable with and then choose programming that fits into that mold. They shouldn't rely on someone else to do it for them. And since, as you said, there are so many people with so many tastes and levels of comfort, the censored version is still going to a. offend somebody and b. choose what's appropriate for all the people who don't feel it's necessary. Believe me, I do understand that some people want their kids to enjoy Dragon Ball but don't agree with certain bits of content. Yes, you're right, it's not always that simple, and I don't know what the answer is, but I personally feel the line is drawn in the wrong place (if one needs to be drawn at all), that children are more resilient than censors (and a lot of times parents) give them credit for, and that censorship regardless of the purpose rubs me the wrong way.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

nathantheguitarist
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nathantheguitarist » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:10 am

Wow, I can't believe that I've missed the first few episodes of Kai on CW. I don't have Nicktoons, so this is the only way to see Kai on TV for me.

I find this ironic a little. For me, Dragonball Z is now back where it started 13-ish years ago (which was WB now CW for Phoenix), but just one day off. It was on Sundays around noon before Cartoon Network got to it. It's also ironic a little that MMPR came back this year as well, about 13-ish years later. /rambling
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:36 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:Complaining about something so big and out of our hands as FCC regulations on a niche of a niche message board on the internet does a little less than jack shit.
I can guarantee you that at least 70% of the things people complain about on this forum are out of our hands.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:36 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:Therefore, safely covering every possible base (blue-mushrooms and digitally painted weenies and all) is the most logical and financially responsible decision in this day and age. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it too considering we still have uncut DVDs and Blu-Rays. I wouldn't change a damn thing about our situation right now.

I'm ecstatic that Dragon Ball is on TV. I'm so happy that kids get to watch a great cartoon with a great English dub to boot. I hope it means the franchise succeeds because I want more video games/movies/toys/ext.
Yea, this is pretty much how I feel. Also, these next few sentences I can't help but feel like an old man shaking his cane at a young kid, but...

Back in my day DragonBall was censored and that was it. End of story. It was censored on TV and even on the home release. We had no choice at all if we wanted to watch the DragonBall TV series in English, we had to watch it with all the censoring. Also, it didn't matter if you bought the home releases cause those were exactly what was on TV, which by the way the VHS's were around $20.00 for 3 episodes!

If kids today watch DragonBall Z Kai and like it that much, they'll try to look for more stuff about it online and eventually come to a discovery that what they're watching is censored. I mean, if it happened in 1997 when the Internet was just starting to get into people's homes, it will definitely happen again now in 2010. The more fans we have, I think, is a good thing.
Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:41 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:If kids today watch DragonBall Z Kai and like it that much, they'll try to look for more stuff about it online and eventually come to a discovery that what they're watching is censored. It happened in 1997 when the Internet was just starting to get into people's homes. It will definitely happen again now in 2010. The more fans we have, I think, is a good thing.
Yeah, I think that's where all the pushers of an alternate location for your censorship posts were coming from. With forum posts, it'll get buried. But if there is a page set up, for easy access to curious casual viewers, all that work might do some good for the franchise to cause kids to seek out the uncut release.

Unless they just download it. I hear people do that a lot. I heard about it while I was doing it.

Vegeta1056
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vegeta1056 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:16 am

Goku's Halo is a ball of light. :lol:

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:36 am

Things that I noticed were different from the Nicktoons version:

*Goku's halo is a ball of light...

*Raditz was moaning when Bulma was taking off his scouter.

*Piccolo told Gohan "Your Daddy didn't make it here" (the Nicktoons version just had him say "Your Daddy didn't make it).

*When Piccolo explained to Gohan what happened, he said "Your Dad gave himself to him". It made me think Goku had sex with Raditz. :?

I think that was it. :D
Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:39 am

Tanooki Kuribo wrote: *Goku's halo is a ball of light...
Man that looks so weird...
Tanooki Kuribo wrote: *Raditz was moaning when Bulma was taking off his scouter.
What's going to happen when he wakes up?!
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:04 am

The title was cut down to just The One Million Mile Snake Way as well.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:11 am

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Things that I noticed were different from the Nicktoons version:

*Goku's halo is a ball of light...

For a few seconds I thought it was Navi. :lol:

Also they still kept Makankosappo in the flashback. This happened in the Nicktoons version too, but is it really that hard to change it for consistency? (Though it is nice to hear it on air though.)
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:42 am

That's just ridiculous. TheCW needs to stop being paranoid. A ball of light?
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:52 am

Bkev wrote:That's just ridiculous. TheCW needs to stop being paranoid. A ball of light?
Yea, it is a little ridiculous, I didn't think it would be edited. It was in the 1997 version so I guess I thought it was alright.

Cowboy Dev
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cowboy Dev » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:57 am

I can't wait to see what crazy antics Goku and his new pal Navi get into! :D
A Dragon Ball/Urusei Yatsura crossover would be awesome.
Having Toshio Furukawa balance between Piccolo and Ataru would be hilarious.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:07 pm

What? Alright, you can at least understand what the laser-shotgun is supposed to be...but what the hell is the explanation for this?

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:24 pm

Also, I just remembered there was a few places where Goku had to say the word "dead" or "die" but they just made him say "Uh, you know" or just "Uh..." which was really awkward especially when that Oni was driving Goku to Snake Way, Goku said he didn't know if he was as strong as he was before now that he's "uh...". :lol:

Edit: Finally! CW4Kids.com has updated their site with DBZ Kai episodes! Now I can post clearer pictures of the edits and also look back at them at my leisure! These are from last week, it seems they update an episode a week after it comes out...? ::shrugs::

Also, Raditz is moaning in the image with his eyes edited closed.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:12 pm

No halos? Really?

I'm starting to wonder why they even bothered with DBZ Kai. They're basically editing the story at this point. Nobody is going to know what the hell is going on.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:30 pm

Oh Lord, Joe...please, do full comparisons. I need the laugh. :p
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:36 pm

:lol: Vegeta eating a mushroom! :lol: but it was a clean edit there! You can't tell that it was edited if it was haven't seen the Original version or Nicktoons version.