BleedingCool News claims Toriyama is writing new Dragon Ball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jon Jon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: BleedingCool News claims Toriyama is writing new Dragon Ball

Post by Jon Jon » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:30 am

I'd like to think if it's true, it's a manga version of the story for DBO. I mean, didn't he write the story for that?

Arique
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arique » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:48 am

Wait, Wait, Wait.
If Viz Media is going to bring this manga over to the US, does that mean we'll finally get a US Localization of DragonBall Online along with it? 'Cause I would love to see that happen! :D
Forum quote of the moment:
Castor Troy wrote:You're all doing it wrong.

DBZ bootlegs have the movie 9 cover with the pioneer movie 2 description on the back and the disc actually has a Japanese soap opera in MEPG2. :roll:

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:11 am

Rocketman wrote:
Mewzard wrote:Where did the whole "He meant to end the series at *insert saga" even come from? I'm sure he decided to end it when it ended, but besides some power scaling after Freeza (damage from attacks were scaled back), it doesn't seem to be the case that he wanted to stop early.
Basically, Toriyama wanted to end it after nearly every major story arc. He doesn't like doing large works. Freeza comes up the most because it's the first 'ending' in Z, it wraps the entire story of Goku's life nice and tidy, and the stitches used to force the story to continue are so damn blatant.
There's absolutely no evidence that Toriyama ever intended to end the story after the Freeza arc. (Also, there's another rumor going around that he wanted to end the series after the Cell arc. That's also a baseless rumor.)
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:26 am

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:
Rocketman wrote:
Mewzard wrote:Where did the whole "He meant to end the series at *insert saga" even come from? I'm sure he decided to end it when it ended, but besides some power scaling after Freeza (damage from attacks were scaled back), it doesn't seem to be the case that he wanted to stop early.
Basically, Toriyama wanted to end it after nearly every major story arc. He doesn't like doing large works. Freeza comes up the most because it's the first 'ending' in Z, it wraps the entire story of Goku's life nice and tidy, and the stitches used to force the story to continue are so damn blatant.
There's absolutely no evidence that Toriyama ever intended to end the story after the Freeza arc. (Also, there's another rumor going around that he wanted to end the series after the Cell arc. That's also a baseless rumor.)
He mentioned wanting to end the story after the 21st Tenka'ichi Budôkai, but that's it.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:35 am

Yep. One or two story arcs doesn't equal "nearly every major story arc."

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:44 am

The only "Toriyama wanted to end it here" endings that I actually buy are the 22nd World Martial Arts Tournament endings and the Cell Games endings, only because of the nature of them.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:00 am

IIRC, in one of the Toriyama interviews (volume 2 or 9 or something), I believe he stated that he was originally going to finish after Pilaf. Don't quote me on that until someone checks though.

DbzFanboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by DbzFanboy » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:36 am

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that this is true. This could be potentially be the resurgence of anime and manga so I'm going to be optimistic about the entire thing.
FOREVER FORNEVER

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:56 am

Tyro wrote:IIRC, in one of the Toriyama interviews (volume 2 or 9 or something), I believe he stated that he was originally going to finish after Pilaf. Don't quote me on that until someone checks though.
That was more a realistic expectation than a creative vision. Those expectations were shattered due to the manga's popularity.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:04 am

He can come back, but he would be creating his own plotholes with his forgetfullness. :lol:

mystic trunks
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mystic trunks » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:54 am

Ahiru77 wrote:He can come back, but he would be creating his own plotholes with his forgetfullness. :lol:
I don't even care. I will take any new DB at this point.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:45 pm

I doubt they are going to use AF as the title since its likely that AT will never use a title that have been use for Fan Fiction.
Chuquita wrote: There's a reboot of the U.S. Godzilla movie franchise coming out?
Yes in 2012.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godzilla_(2012_film)
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:26 pm

I don't know what everyone's getting so excited about: we have absolutely no confirmation on this, no other sites are reporting it, and the whole thing is so baseless someone could just have made it up for some giggles. "We received word"? Please.

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath on this one.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:13 pm

Then again, when we first heard about DB Kai, everyone thought Wasted Wisher was "just a guy" saying baseless things, and look what we have now!

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:16 pm

And not only that, but Marc already mentioned that the guy reporting this is very reliable and rarely sources his news anyway.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:16 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:Then again, when we first heard about DB Kai, everyone thought Wasted Wisher was "just a guy" saying baseless things, and look what we have now!
Yeah, and apparently the website has a record of being inside the loop of certain informations. I`m not holding my breath either, but who knows...

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:38 pm

EVERYONE! Pray to your deity of choice! I really hope this is true.
Until then I shall await news with ears and arms wide open!

Kiyza
Regular

Post by Kiyza » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:57 pm

Arique wrote:Wait, Wait, Wait.
If Viz Media is going to bring this manga over to the US, does that mean we'll finally get a US Localization of DragonBall Online along with it? 'Cause I would love to see that happen! :D
Apparently, Namco Bandai is going to wait to see how it does in Asian markets before it's released over seas. It's doing pretty terribly in Korea, no doubt due to the fact that the series isn't overly popular and that everyone and their mom is playing Star Craft II. But, if this is Dragon Ball Online related, then it might well coincide with a Japanese release at the very least.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:49 pm

Kiyza wrote:But, if this is Dragon Ball Online related, then it might well coincide with a Japanese release at the very least.
As far as I can tell, there still hasn't been any news about if/when it will finally be released in Japan. I guess if this is true, it might coincide with an announcement for the Japanese release of DBO.
-Rachel

Kiyza
Regular

Post by Kiyza » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:14 pm

TripleRach wrote:
Kiyza wrote:But, if this is Dragon Ball Online related, then it might well coincide with a Japanese release at the very least.
As far as I can tell, there still hasn't been any news about if/when it will finally be released in Japan. I guess if this is true, it might coincide with an announcement for the Japanese release of DBO.
Yeah, there's been absolutely nothing regarding a Japanese release of the game. Interestingly enough, there's going to be a Hong Kong release planned for before the end of the year. You'd think Japan would be the first to get it.