"Gateway Drug"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:18 am

Ramenman wrote:Yeah, Manga does some bad dubbing. I'll never forget one line from the film that always made me laugh because of it's delivery:

"Talk? And just what exactly are you going to talk about? You don't even know your own name you STUPID DICKHEAD!" :roll:
Is that not what he's saying in japanese, or is it just the way he said it? I thought the dub on Ghost in the Shell was pretty good...I'm not really familiar with their other titles though.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:22 am

Ya I agree with you about that. I remember I was recently talking to someone about Trigun and they were complaining that Pioneer didn't put the right opening sequence in for the show. That it was supposed to change slightly from episode to episode and that this really bugged them. But, I mean, if that's all that was edited, should it really matter that much? I don't care, as long as they didn't cut a bunch of scenes out of the actual show, I'm content. I really don't care that 3 seconds of the opening sequence animation has been messed with. It's just three seconds! And it wasn't some key footage for the plot or to provide info. Now Cardcaptor Sakura is "butchering".

tablet the eunuch
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by tablet the eunuch » Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:45 am

Wrong.

Ghost in the Shell, the movie, is dubbed by Animaze, who also did Trigun, Bebop, and will be doing the ghost in the shell TV series. They do a lot of stuff.

Manga don't dub. They simply author (not very well) and distribute.

US manga Corp are a different company all together.

And I didn't mind the Ghost in the Shell dub.

And the Dickhead line was pretty well delivered I thought

On another dub(HAHAHA CROSS REFERENCE JOKE LAFF)ject, whats happened to my old avatar?

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:25 am

I never saw the American release of Trigun... I saw some fansubs a very long time ago... you know, back when all fansubs sucked. I really have to watch some Trigun DVDs...

So, what, they didn't change the opening animation? It was just some funny things... like the WANTED sign for Vash changes into a WARNING sign, as Vash becomes classified as a natural disaster. Great anime.

Ramenman

Post by Ramenman » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:45 am

tablet the eunuch:
Huh...I always thought they did the dubbing themselves. Guess I didn't pay much attention to the credits...

Anyway, was that "dickhead" line in the Japanese version? I'm a little curious about that myself.
"It's 3am in Wisconsin. I want a camel. Go get me it."
"Prince...it's 3am in Wisconsin. It's the middle of January. You want a camel. That is neither physically or psychologically possible.”

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:50 pm

No I know that Manga doesn't do any dubbing, I should have worded that better. I meant more that anything they seem to distribute usually has a lousy dub. And yes, Trigun is right up there with my all time top favourite 5 anime series, the others being Vision of Escaflowne, Ushio and Tora, One Piece, and of course DB! :D

tablet the eunuch
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by tablet the eunuch » Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:33 pm

Jerseymilk: Have you ever seen the Macross Plus? That's a dub distributed by Manga that's actually fairly well acted. Same with Ninja Scroll, though content in Ninja Scroll is debatable by person to person (I like it).

Ramenman: Nah, they don't say dickhead, but they do cuss from what I can remember.

Zackarotto: the wanted sign does change about half-way in, to some evacuation notice. The only changes majorly between opening animation is that Pioneer uses only the First Episodes opening (each intro has sniplets of animation from it's episode in the credits), and uhh... yeah.

Overall, nothing to loose sleep over.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:14 pm

Eunuch,(I love saying that!): Notice I said, "usually a lousy dub". I have seen the dub for Macross Plus and I didn't have a problem with it. I didn't mind Ninja Scroll either, but hey Wendee Lee did the lead female in that and she's been in dubbing a long time. Actually, I believe she holds the record for the most voices dubbed in North America. She did a really good Faye in the Cowboy Bebop dub too. A lot of dubs, at least the ones that were done in the early days, had two-bit actors who couldn't get any other work, and didnt really want to be there.

tablet the eunuch
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by tablet the eunuch » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:21 pm

PLease watch Violence Jack. There's a line one of the badguys say, and it's the following

"Goddammit, where the hell is Jack? The fucking chickenshit, fucking fucking shit, fucking shit!"

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:31 pm

Yes I've heard about that! :lol: I've never actually watched Violence Jack, but I've read all about it's um, over-the-top, crazy violence and bad dub! It's hard to find a copy nowadays, but I think one the Blockbusters I go to still has it. If they do, I'll rent it out and let you know how much of a kick I got out of it. But tell me, can it be any worse than Apacolypse Zero? I still get " 'Nam-esque" flashbacks from that one. :shock:

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:22 pm

Actually, I absolutely love the GitS dub.