Has Anyone Visited the Kai Boards on Nicktoons?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Has Anyone Visited the Kai Boards on Nicktoons?

Post by Cipher » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:22 am

Because it's actually really heartwarming. Amidst a bunch of polls and fifth-grade fan fiction I can't begin to comprehend (does everyone's fan character have to start their first day of school?), it's full of kids who are genuinely enjoying Dragon Ball for the first time. Reading through the "OMG Vegeta dies!" thread was particularly amusing. I saw one poster who was exceedingly proud to drop some knowledge of future events from having seen Z when he was four, now watching Kai as a twelve-year-old. Another person was adamant that someone tell him how they'd obtained a description of Freeza's father.

It's just ... really priceless. I clicked on it out of curiosity, and I'm glad I did.

I mean, do these people grow up and move on to "adult" sites like Daizex? (Which, actually feels really adult having viewed that.) Who knows? But it's pretty funny and nostalgic to watch in the meantime. I'm more than content to let those kids think they actually do know everything in the universe about the series.

I'm not an enormous fan of Kai, but if it's getting a new generation back into Dragon Ball, then fuck yeah. It's just kind of cool to see the results firsthand.

Oh, and they still think Freeza is a girl. The more things change...

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Has Anyone Visited the Kai Boards on Nicktoons?

Post by Bussani » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:23 am

Huh... That's adorable. I mean, I didn't realize that in this day and age it was still possible to be that mystified about it all, you know? It's like meeting someone who doesn't know who Darth Vader is. It makes sense if you think about how old they are and everything, but these days with the Internet and everything, I'm still surprised. It's pretty darn neat. In fact, it's kind of made my day.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

gmster
Beyond Newbie

Post by gmster » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:33 pm

I find the DBZ Kai forums on 4kids more amusing :lol:

http://forums.4kids.tv/forumdisplay.php?f=179

Some kids are even aware that the Nicktoons version is different.

ShiningMoon
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShiningMoon » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:19 pm

Aw, that's adorable (both of them). It makes me think of back when I started getting on the internet and reading about DBZ stuff. Except, I think I tried to avoid spoilers of the Buu arc before it aired on CN. Heh. (Since when I got into the show, the Cell arc was airing, I was more mystified by the stuff that had happened earlier that I hadn't seen. "Piccolo used to be a bad guy?")

It's really exciting to see that there's a new generation that's really getting into this. I wonder, what will happen when they find out there's a bigger, longer version of DBZ? (Heh. "Guys, there's a secret episode where Piccolo and Goku went driving!" [Er, I haven't seen much of Kai, but I assume they cut that out.])

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:45 pm

This is easily one of my favorite things about Kai--the new generation of fans it's bringing in. Especially the younger ones...it's so cute that they love Dragon Ball, you can't help but be reminded of yourself as a kid when you first learned of it. To quote Masako Nozawa, "You've got to believe in the magic of anime."
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:08 pm

gmster wrote:I find the DBZ Kai forums on 4kids more amusing :lol:

http://forums.4kids.tv/forumdisplay.php?f=179
Actually, I'm just glad to see the continued demand for TMNT among those kids, but that's neither here nor there.

And Bussani, I agree. I think the biggest (and nicest) surprise of all after I clicked on the boards was seeing just how little they know about the series. I think it probably reminds most of us about how we first saw it: mostly unfettered, but with tantalizing semi-accurate tips about future events. It's nice to see that's still possible when the entire plot can be found with a Wikipedia search.

gmster
Beyond Newbie

Post by gmster » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:32 pm

I lol'd at the kids raging about Blue Popo. :lol:

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:27 pm

From the Nicktoons Boards:
I Have Been Asking Myself If Trunks Has A Wife, Because I Heard It Was Ranfan! I Can't Let Myself Believe This, Because Ranfan Is Such A SMALL Character! Basically, Does Trunks Have A Wife?? Plz Post....
ohh i remember ranfan! that girl who did something...weird... to nom? well trunks is born way after ranfan so ranfan is probably an old lady before trunks is old enough to marry
It looks like someone stumbled upon one of Daizex's Otakon panel videos but didn't fully understand it. It's so cute :D lol
My Dragon Ball AMV's:
Pain into Power - Gohan Tribute - Best Character Profile at AnimeNext
The Dragon Ball Life - Original DB only AMV - Coordinators Choice at Anime Conji
When I See You Again [NEW!!!] - Goku & Krillin AMV - Best Drama at Otakon

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:32 pm

Black Is Too Scary For Younger Veiwers
Wow really?Black is just a color how much more scary it can be?
:lol:

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:40 pm

I love that so far none of the kids that posted even consider Mr. Popo's color change to be because of a racial issue. Just goes to show that the edit wasn't needed because kids don't think like that.
My Dragon Ball AMV's:
The Dragon Ball Life - Original DB only AMV - Coordinators Choice at Anime Conji

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:53 pm

Drabaz wrote:I love that so far none of the kids that posted even consider Mr. Popo's color change to be because of a racial issue. Just goes to show that the edit wasn't needed because kids don't think like that.
I think that's more of an issue with the parents. Sure, the kids won't notice, but their parents will and will cause a fit over it, regardless of whether or not the kid realizes what the problem is.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:54 pm

So much for kids not watching Kai.... :lol:

But it's really adorable seeing there naivety, wondering what will happen next. I wonder how old these kids are? It's nice that they have an outlet to talk about the show lucky kids with their computers and their cellular phones... GET OFF MY LAWN.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:03 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
Drabaz wrote:I love that so far none of the kids that posted even consider Mr. Popo's color change to be because of a racial issue. Just goes to show that the edit wasn't needed because kids don't think like that.
I think that's more of an issue with the parents. Sure, the kids won't notice, but their parents will and will cause a fit over it, regardless of whether or not the kid realizes what the problem is.
I agree, but isn't the point of the parents throwing a fit over it because they don't want their kids to see this racially insensitive character. If kids are not even seeing him that way, then whats the problem?
My Dragon Ball AMV's:

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:04 pm

WHO IS BROLY??:
I've HEARD SOO MUCH TALK ABOUT HIM, AND BARDOCK TOO. I WANNA NO WHO THEY ARE!! AND WHEN DO THEY COME IN THE SHOW? :evil:
The response:
broly is the worst enemy of goku and bardock is goku's saiyan dad.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:12 pm

Drabaz wrote:I agree, but isn't the point of the parents throwing a fit over it because they don't want their kids to see this racially insensitive character. If kids are not even seeing him that way, then whats the problem?
The problem is the parents. Specifically those who think anything that isn't shoving a good wholesome message down their throats will soil their kids' innocence. So instead of talking to their kids or you know parenting them, they'll take pitchforks to TV execs to shield their kids and parent them. To prevent this the CW changed the Popo's appearance.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Sun-Wukong
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sun-Wukong » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:29 pm

I fond this particularly amusing.

EDIT: I just noticed one of the responses said...
Gorega12 wrote:yes he is a sayin
idk
they come from the same rank
to plant the tree of might on earth and suck up all the joy. the fruit will multiply his strength each time he takes a bite of it
I guess someone's been watching DBZA...
This will never not be my sig:
VegettoEX wrote:"Snoop Lion" is just a character he's playing for his reggae album and documentary. Him saying that it's his new name is all part of the character.

I can't believe this is on-topic.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:33 pm

As cute as this continues to be, can I just say how thankful I am for Daizex's grammar enforcement?

Ridiculously thankful.

Drabaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Drabaz » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:54 pm

Cipher wrote:As cute as this continues to be, can I just say how thankful I am for Daizex's grammar enforcement?

Ridiculously thankful.
I'm thinking the same exact thing. It's so nice not having to guess what people are trying to say in terms of their grammar. I love the grammar enforcement.
My Dragon Ball AMV's:

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:29 pm

XanatosVanBadass wrote:WHO IS BROLY??:
I've HEARD SOO MUCH TALK ABOUT HIM, AND BARDOCK TOO. I WANNA NO WHO THEY ARE!! AND WHEN DO THEY COME IN THE SHOW? :evil:
The response:
broly is the worst enemy of goku and bardock is goku's saiyan dad.
I agree that he's the "worst enemy," but probably not in the same way as the original poster meant it. :P
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:49 pm

http://www.nick.com/mynick/messageboard ... 1&offset=0

Hahaha, kids say the darndest things. :P