DB fans different?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

DB fans different?

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:01 pm

Would anyone say that some hardcore dB/DBZ fans are different than fans of other anime? What I mean is for one thing, the whole "Saiya-jin" thing. So far DBZ fans are the only ones I have heard refer to the alien species in an anime as "(insert race here)-jin" while speaking English. I've looked on both tenchi and Outlaw Star websites (the only anime I currently own other than dBZ with aliens) and never have I seen the word "Jurai-jin" or anything else come up. It's always Juraian. Also it seems that some fans are crazy about hearing a move's name in Japanese. For example, I've heard people complain about how they changed "Roga Fufu Ken" (Fist of the Wolf Fang) to "Wolf's Fang Fist". I really don't see the difference. Any thoughts?

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:39 pm

for the -jin thing its just SSJ looks better than SS is all in abbreviation, but I myself tend to call it Super Saiyan, but as in any fandoms there are extreme otaku nuts.

So yeah, there are crazy DBZ fans but there are crazy Yu Gi Oh fans too - its just a matter of perspective.
-Laserkid

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Re: DB fans different?

Post by PsyLiam » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:09 pm

Super Sonic wrote:Also it seems that some fans are crazy about hearing a move's name in Japanese. For example, I've heard people complain about how they changed "Roga Fufu Ken" (Fist of the Wolf Fang) to "Wolf's Fang Fist". I really don't see the difference. Any thoughts?
There are fans who want to see a good, accurate dub of their favourite Japanese show. There are also fans who think that dubbing in any form is evil and should never, ever be done. Ever.

Personally, I don't have a problem with any of the name changes on Dragon Ball, because they are all, basically, extremely close to the original. I'm not going to complain that Bra didn't keep her name, because I knew that, realistically, there was no way in hell she was going to, and she's such a minor character anyway it's not important.

Same with move name changes, up to a point. Yeah, a translation of "Kienzan" would have been nice, but I don't think that shouting out "Circular energy disc" (or whatever) sounds overly dramatic. And the most important moves have been kept. Kaio-Ken, Kamehameha, and so forth. Genki Dama was changed, but "Spirit Bomb" is a pretty accurate translation. And they even gave Gohan "Masenko" after originally calling it "power blast" or something.

If I was going to complain about any of the names, it would be the dropping of "son", and maybe (maybe) "power pole" and "flying nimbus". If only because the Blue Water dub shows that young children are perfectly capable of remembering the word "Nuiybo."

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:12 pm

For me, I just like the sound of "Saiyajin" better. I don't know if that qualifies me as an "extreme otaku nut", but maybe not since I don't insist that other people do the same. I also like saying the attacks in Japanese, partially because a lot of the English names for them are plain retarded. Sorry, but they are. The other reason once again because I just like the sound of the Japanese names. It's the same reason why I only watch subtitled anime. Yes, the Japanese version is better a lot of times, but even if the dub is good, I still don't watch it simply because I like the sound of the Japanese language. So that's my two cents anyway. 8)

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:32 pm

Actually, that's reminded me...I really do wish they'd have used the word "ki" or "chi" or something. I don't think it's THAT hard a concept for kids to grasp, even if they just mentally think of it as "power". After all, I'm sure small children don't cry in fear and terror if they play the Budokai games?

(And, on translation, does it strike anyone else as odd that they use the word "Budokai" in the title of the game, and yet call it "World Tournament" in the game?)

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:36 pm

Jerseymilk wrote: I also like saying the attacks in Japanese
I've just had a scary mental image of Jerseymilk arguing with someone in a shop, and shouting "If you don't give me a refund right now, you're getting a Makanpossappo where the sun doesn't shine!"

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:56 pm

Oh I would not! Although it would be really cool if I actually could do that attack at the clerk though. :D

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:57 pm

They're different in that I'm better than them all.

I win at life.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:06 pm

Yay for Legendary Internet A-hole #1 winner VegettoEX!

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:27 pm

First of all, Japanese sounds awesome. It's the voice of God, or at least that's what I would say if they mentioned the Japanese at all in the book.

Either way, there's nothing wrong with Saiyan, there's no better way to translate it. SS might mean a boat or the Nazis, so SSJ it is, I guess.

Genki Dama might be an okay translation, although I thought it would be Energy Ball, but isn't there already a Spirit Bomb that Yamcha uses?

We would just be better off if no names for people and attacks were ever changed.

SonGohan-san
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonGohan-san » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:30 pm

What does Soaki (I know I spelled that wrong) dan actually translate to?
It wouldn't be hard for me to believe that it's actually close to "spirit bomb," maybe more closer than Genki Dama even.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:14 am

Zackarotto wrote:We would just be better off if no names for people and attacks were ever changed.
What about suffixes? Should they keep it as "Kaio-Sama", or translate it? And what would be a good/better translation of that than FUNI's? Lord Kaio, maybe?

Sean

AHH! So many things to say!

Post by Sean » Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:03 am

Would anyone say that some hardcore dB/DBZ fans are different than fans of other anime? What I mean is for one thing, the whole "Saiya-jin" thing. So far DBZ fans are the only ones I have heard refer to the alien species in an anime as "(insert race here)-jin" while speaking English. I've looked on both tenchi and Outlaw Star websites (the only anime I currently own other than dBZ with aliens) and never have I seen the word "Jurai-jin" or anything else come up. It's always Juraian. Also it seems that some fans are crazy about hearing a move's name in Japanese. For example, I've heard people complain about how they changed "Roga Fufu Ken" (Fist of the Wolf Fang) to "Wolf's Fang Fist". I really don't see the difference. Any thoughts?
AHH! I haven't posted on this forum yet...oh well.

Let me see... Well... the whole -jin concept is that -jin after a place or word just means it's a type of people. Such as Saiya-jin meaning from Saiya or some such meaning. I don't really think that's a concept of hardcore dbz-fans. I believe people use it mostly because we Anglisize Saiya and make Saiyan sound like Say-yan which would drive purists nuts, of course.
In other anime, when translated I'm sure the -jin was dropped. Considering the jin notion is not very prevalent amongst the fans that take the Dub to infallible and absolute.

The movie titles are not translated from the Japanese title. I believe the titles are just random phrases made by the people at dubbing company to attract the most people to buy the product. I suppose Sloth has had his toll.
So yeah, there are crazy DBZ fans but there are crazy Yu Gi Oh fans too - its just a matter of perspective

I think Dragonball is bigger..and more sexy. However, Dragonball is not as crazy - So sad.
qualifies me as an "extreme otaku nut",

I wonder what you have to do to gain that ..uh..esteemed status?
I'm sure I'm a nut with out question. I wonder if taking Japanese and getting a 130% in the class and owning the manga... with several of the books 1st printings qualifies you.
What does Soaki (I know I spelled that wrong) dan actually translate to?
It wouldn't be hard for me to believe that it's actually close to "spirit bomb," maybe more closer than Genki Dama even
According to Greg Werner's UltimateDBZInfo site, Souki Dan is the "Real" Spirt Bomb. However, neither Souki nor Dan seems to mean either Spirt nor Dan in my limited reference books.

Oh well....now that I've confused both you and myself..ignore my babblings.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Re: AHH! So many things to say!

Post by PsyLiam » Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:23 am

Sean wrote:I wonder if taking Japanese and getting a 130% in the class and owning the manga... with several of the books 1st printings qualifies you.
I'd tend not to put too much faith in a class where the teacher lacks basic mathematical skills.

And, while I'm here, I might as well throw out a couple of questions.

1/ What exactly do the words souki, dan, genki, and dama mean?

2/ If the Saiyans all come from planet Vegeta, shouldn't they be called "Vegeta-jin"?

Sean

Post by Sean » Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:53 am

She curves her grades in such a way that outliers may be worth more than 100% when significantly higher than the next highest mark.

As I was just recently explained to, saiya is a play on yasai which is defined as vegetable... and all good little pseudo-otaku-type DBZ people know that Vegeta -- Bejiita..>_>; -- has some meaning to the word "Vegeta"ble.

o.o; Other people that are more fluent can answer #1.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:35 am

A winner is j00!

Erum anyway no saying Saiyajin, watching sub only exct doesnt necessarily make one an extreme otaku nut in and of itself, its when ya force it on others such becomes the case - before then its just being a bit eccentric, but hey we all are a bit eccentric.

as for Q2 - remember they were Saiyans first, then renamed the planet Vegeta or so anime filler says.
-Laserkid

tablet the eunuch
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by tablet the eunuch » Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:37 am

VegettoEX wrote:They're different in that I'm better than them all.

I win at life.
Is the final boss hard?

I HEARD YOU HAD TO GO RIGHT RIGHT LEFT LEFT ah shit jokes over.. :(

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:14 am

If the Saiyans all come from planet Vegeta, shouldn't they be called "Vegeta-jin"?
It would be Vejitasei-jin...right? But even if they come from that planet, it doesn't mean their race is called that way. I'm a Chinese, in the Netherlands. So, I'm from another race, but from that country-> Saiya-Jin from planet Vejita. Or something.

I can't explain well. ^^;
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:31 am

PsyLiam wrote:
Sean wrote:I wonder if taking Japanese and getting a 130% in the class and owning the manga... with several of the books 1st printings qualifies you.
I'd tend not to put too much faith in a class where the teacher lacks basic mathematical skills.

And, while I'm here, I might as well throw out a couple of questions.

1/ What exactly do the words souki, dan, genki, and dama mean?

2/ If the Saiyans all come from planet Vegeta, shouldn't they be called "Vegeta-jin"?

souki- 1st meaning-"recollection", "recall"
2nd meaning-"early stage"

dan-1st meaning-"body, group"
2nd meaning-"platform", "podium", I've also heard it interpreted as "level" or "stage"

genki-"energy", "spirit"

dama-"ball", "sphere"

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:41 am

For me, I generally use dub names because most of the people I know are ignorant of their Japanese names, or are just used to the dub names (and I won't even start on those two guys in Gym class many a year ago who thought DBZ was an American show...). For example, I know that most of these names can be translated many different ways (Freeza, Frieza, Freeza, Furiiza, et cetera), and yes, even Gokou is as accurate of a translation as Toriyama's own romanizations (Gokuh, Gokuuh, Gooku, etc.) I also know that Ginyu is Japanese for milk, Burter is Butter, Jeice is Juice, and I believe Recoome is an anagram for cream (cu-riimu). However, I've not a clue what Guldo could be...

Anyway, Genki Dama basically means "Energetic Ball", which could also be translated as "Spirit Ball". However, I don't know what soukidan could mean

EDIT: I guess Jerseymilk explained that while I was typing :p

Anyway, the whole point is... we're humans, correct? Does that mean that our planet is known as the Planet Huma? Planets are not named after the dominant species. Vegeta was known as Plant before the Saiyans took over. Did that mean the Tuffle... excuse me, Tsufurians, were actually known as Plantians?
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!