Yamcha

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Yamcha

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:18 pm

Is it me or does Mr.Toriyama have something against Yamcha or does Yamcha just get the short end of the power pole throughout his life. Here are a few examples

1. Yamcha gets screwed over in every tournament he was ever in. 1st he had to fight Roshi in the first round, then he had to fight Tien in the first round, last he had to fight Kami... (GOD of earth!) in the first round.
2. He was first to fight a seiba man before knowing theirs explosive powers.
3. He was first to find the androids which got him impaled and also got his arm broken by a cell Jr.
4. He didn’t even get to attack super Buu, atleast Kuririn got to charge the guy.
5. He only had one scene in GT.

The only luck he has had in the series was that he was one of the few that didn’t die in the piccolo arc.

So what do you guys feel about Yamaha’s bad luck?
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:43 pm

Actually, he had 2 scenes in GT :P
14 years later

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:11 am

The way I see it, Yamcha's entire purpose in the series was to demonstrate how powerful the opponents were by example, i.e. getting beaten to a pulp. The only reason why his strength even increased in the series, was just so that he could be paired against even stronger foes, so we would be even more shocked when he was beaten and Goku somehow defeats the villian later.

MajinMetroid
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MajinMetroid » Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:45 am

I feel sorry for him because he's a cool character but I don't feel as bad for him as I do Tenshinhan because Ten's so much more dedicated and focused on his fighting and he'll never attain the strength that he wants, the strength to defeat Goku in a tournament. Goku saves everyone but if this was a teen melodrama, everyone would hate him for being so good.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:47 am

Yamcha was always weaker than everybody else and followed a less intensive training than them as well. Only Chaozu was weaker than him.

With the Wolf technique against Goku, he only had the edge because Goku hadn't eaten in a day. Any training he MIGHT have done for the budoukai was filler, so he lost against Choun. Meanwhile, Krillin and Yamcha, both his betters, underwent Kamesennin's training.

As of the end of the Red Ribbon Army saga, did Yamcha only then start playing catch up. He also undergoes Kamesennin's training, but only once it was not longer effective enough for Goku. He does the same with Karin and Kami later on, and even goes to train with Kaio. Unlike Tenshinhan, however, Yamcha doesn't seize the strengths of the training and build upon them, so at best Yamcha can only hope to catch up to Goku's level when they last met up.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:26 pm

Yamcha was cool in DB and the first half of DBZ. It's just that after Frieza arrived on Earth, he started being made into a wuss. I mean he was willing to fight against King Piccolo's minions even with a broken leg. And when the Saiyans showed up, though it was hard to say due to his getting blown up, but he was probably about equal in strength to Krillin at the time.

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:33 pm

[quote]Yamcha was always weaker than everybody else and followed a less intensive training than them as well. Only Chaozu was weaker than him.

Yamcha was stronger then Kuririn in the Saiyan fight if you dont count Kuririn's attack after yamcha got killed, but i do agree with the less intense training point.
Last edited by TheMajinRedComet on Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:36 pm

Er, no. Being able to kill three saibamen with one shot (and that was only half the strength of the blast) kind of shows the difference between Yamcha and Krillin. Throughout the battle with his saibaman, Yamcha was hard-pressed to end it. This was because they were close to equality.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:41 pm

Yamucha: 1,300
Kuririn: 1,100

I'm just saying... dont count Kuririn's attack because he was pulling a Gohan and going crazy.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:50 pm

TheMajinRedComet wrote:Yamucha: 1,300
Kuririn: 1,100

I'm just saying... dont count Kuririn's attack because he was pulling a Gohan and going crazy.
Oh PLEASE! You discredit when I source the daizenshuu for info+PLs, yet you expect us to accept numbers you pull out of your ass?

Yamcha: 1,480
Krillin: 1,770

Get your facts straight. :roll:

Gamingdevil
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Yamcha

Post by Gamingdevil » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:50 am

TheMajinRedComet wrote:Is it me or does Mr.Toriyama have something against Yamcha or does Yamcha just get the short end of the power pole throughout his life. Here are a few examples

1. Yamcha gets screwed over in every tournament he was ever in. 1st he had to fight Roshi in the first round, then he had to fight Tenshinhan in the first round, last he had to fight Kami... (GOD of earth!) in the first round.
2. He was first to fight a seiba man before knowing theirs explosive powers.
3. He was first to find the androids which got him impaled and also got his arm broken by a cell Jr.
4. He didn’t even get to attack super Buu, atleast Kuririn got to charge the guy.
5. He only had one scene in GT.

The only luck he has had in the series was that he was one of the few that didn’t die in the piccolo arc.

So what do you guys feel about Yamaha’s bad luck?
Erm, GT has got nothing to do with Akira Toriyama.
Who said life isn't a game?

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:44 pm

I guess thats true about GT. Anyway lets not get angry. I have always believed that at base in the Saiyan fight Yamcha is stronger then Kuririn, of course Kuririn is stronger when he gets angry, but his power level goes back to his base after he attacks.

I think we all know that power levels are a ify thing, so there is room for disscussion... but no need to argue.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:12 pm

I've noticed that, aside from Budoukai preliminaries and a couple filler things I'm probably forgetting, Yamcha has only really won one battle in the entire series:

The invisible man. And he nearly lost that, too.

I think he's a really cool character, but he just kind of has a habit of losing. :( He certainly has innate talent and some interesting abilities that he developed himself, but as arrogant as he was initially, I don't think he was ever completely "into" it. He tried for a while, but he was just outdone by Kuririn and Tenshinhan (not to mention Gokuu and Piccolo). He was good, but apparently not good enough, unfortunately. I guess he just didn't scale up at the rate everyone else did.

I wouldn't say it was so much that Toriyama wanted to screw him over as it was that he just happened to fall into a somewhat needed roll of the "bad luck guy".

tealsmith
Beyond Newbie

Post by tealsmith » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:34 pm

TripleRach wrote:I've noticed that, aside from Budoukai preliminaries and a couple filler things I'm probably forgetting, Yamcha has only really won one battle in the entire series:

The invisible man. And he nearly lost that, too.
Two, if you count the filler episode where he fights Recoome.
"My heart, it ceases. My breath, undrawn. My eyes forever focussed - on the sanguine metal dawn." - Caduca, Thief II: The Metal Age

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:54 am

He also beat Boss Rabbit's two henchmen.

>_> What?
Where's the beef?

LaRésistance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LaRésistance » Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:34 pm

The people who made Budokai 1 and 2 seemed to like Yamcha and Tenshinhan. I wonder what made them create Yamhan or the Cell-Krillin story. They must have felt bad for them.
The résistance dies but never gives up.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:52 pm

All I know is that in my honest opinon, Yamcha can be quite pathetic, and it mainly happoened after he was first revived. First it was Frieza's arrival on Earth, out of everyone, he was the only one doubting if he should defend Earth and shaking like a baby. 3 years later against the Androids, he's beaten in literally 5 minutes and thrown aside like a piece of trash, and not bound for another fight till his stint with the Cell Jrs, and let's not forget his insignificant role in the Bojack feature. 7 years later, he's given up on fighting and when the time comes to show some balls against Buu, and to protect his best friends, he lets Krillin go alone to die and runs like a complete wuss (I'm glad he was killed again for that). Though he did get a nifty appearence during the Vegetto battle training on Dai-kaio's planet, but in the long run, he was only there for the special perks. Then fastforward to GT, he only gets 2 cameos in the entire series of that, I frankly feel he deserved zip. I actually refer to him as Lambchop, a little joke I use that was a line of dialouge by Goku in the "Curse of the Blood Rubies" feature.
14 years later

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:52 pm

I really like Yamcha.

He has the two most original attacks in the series.

Kuririn didn't even fight #17 and #18.

Tenshinhan and Piccolo got knocked out just as quickly.
Where's the beef?

tealsmith
Beyond Newbie

Post by tealsmith » Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:00 pm

El_Diablo wrote:He also beat Boss Rabbit's two henchmen.

>_> What?
He also beat up a bunch of wolves.

And some guys in a Martial Arts Areans while training.

And some baseball players.
"My heart, it ceases. My breath, undrawn. My eyes forever focussed - on the sanguine metal dawn." - Caduca, Thief II: The Metal Age

LaRésistance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LaRésistance » Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:42 pm

El_Diablo wrote:Tenshinhan and Piccolo got knocked out just as quickly.
Tenshinhan managed to slow down Cell in his second form.
The résistance dies but never gives up.