Piccolo Training after death

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Piccolo Training after death

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:28 pm

Does anyone know if Piccolo learned anything from or was even trained by King Kai. Also was Piccolo's power level really as high as 23,000 when he arrived on Namek?
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:14 pm

I seriously doubt that Piccolo obtained new techniques, while training under Kaio-Sama!? I also believe that his power level was a lot higher then 23,000, and here is why I think so.

Piccolo would not have been equal to Freeza Form 2 by a simple fusion with another namek!! Piccolo's power was most likely in the upper 90,000, or 100,000. I am not 100% accuarate on that, but that is just my opinion. There is no way he could have been a match for Freeza just by merging with nail!? He had to do some hard training at some point, I guess?
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:39 pm

Piccolo was there for a few days at most.

He was less than 10,000 when he arrived.

He is not shown doing anything while there.

It's a plot hole
Where's the beef?

tealsmith
Beyond Newbie

Post by tealsmith » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:07 pm

El_Diablo wrote:Piccolo was there for a few days at most.

He was less than 10,000 when he arrived.

He is not shown doing anything while there.

It's a plot hole
A few days?

This is from the dub, but I remember King Kai mentioning it took the Z Senshi only two weeks to cross Snake Way (which I suppose would make sense. It took Goku a lot longer, but he was far far weaker when he ran Snake Way, and he fell off at one point). Given the fact that it took what, 6 months for Krillin, Bulma, and Gohan to reach Namek, plus the time before they set off, plus about the week after they touched down before Piccolo was revived, I'd figure he was there for more then a few days.
"My heart, it ceases. My breath, undrawn. My eyes forever focussed - on the sanguine metal dawn." - Caduca, Thief II: The Metal Age

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:39 pm

They only got there when Goku was on his way to Namek.

His journey only took about a week to get to Gohan and the others.

Piccolo was there a few days
Where's the beef?

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:46 pm

Too bad Piccolo didn't learn the Kaioken. Now that would've been something to see.

But, yeah, Gohan's team got to Namek in a month, and it took Goku six days.

No way Piccolo could go from just over a 1000 to 100,000 in six days.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:03 pm

Rocketman wrote:Too bad Piccolo didn't learn the Kaioken. Now that would've been something to see.

But, yeah, Gohan's team got to Namek in a month, and it took Goku six days.

No way Piccolo could go from just over a 1000 to 100,000 in six days.
There is also no way it took over a month for Piccolo and the others to reach King Kai's. At the most it took them 2 weeks. I don't give a damn when it first showed Piccolo and co. on King King's. Saying that they didn't get there until they were first shown there would also mean that Goku didn't arrive on Earth until Bulma met him. First appearance somewhere does not equal arrival.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:32 am

Piccolo was just over 1,000 at the battle with Raditz. So he was significantly stronger at the battle with Nappa and Vegeta. Piccolo ran snake way and fought Tenshinhan, Yamcha and Chaotzu 3 on 1 for his training. He did the monkey catch and cricket smash to humor King Kai as well. If I recall, Nail was at 42,000 or was it 48,000 (I forget) when he fought Frieza form 1. He brought more to Piccolo's power upgrade than I think you give him credit for.

Gamingdevil
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gamingdevil » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:33 am

Akira wrote:Piccolo was just over 1,000 at the battle with Raditz. So he was significantly stronger at the battle with Nappa and Vegeta. Piccolo ran snake way and fought Tenshinhan, Yamcha and Chaotzu 3 on 1 for his training. He did the monkey catch and cricket smash to humor King Kai as well. If I recall, Nail was at 42,000 or was it 48,000 (I forget) when he fought Freeza form 1. He brought more to Piccolo's power upgrade than I think you give him credit for.
One flaw in your statement: Piccolo was somewhere around 340 when he fought Raditz, his Makenkassapo was over 1000, which is not the same because the Z-Senshi concentrate their energy into one blast.
Who said life isn't a game?

Magnaboss
Banned

Post by Magnaboss » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:40 am

Power level comparisons! Because we all know they're wortwhile and meaningful!

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:16 am

Wow, I'm amazed that you guys can take powerlevels so damn seriously.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:52 pm

Wow, I'm amazed that you guys can take powerlevels so damn seriously.
Oddly enough, while I normally hate numbers and all things math like, I love powerlevels. But this is coming from the stand point of a Fanfiction author that needs to know who's stronger than who and by how much so that I don't have Person A gettting their ass kicked by Person B who get's their ass kicked by Person C who then gets their ass kicked by Person A without first make person A stronger.

This aversion to powerlevels is pointless and a lot of peoples reasons for why they don't like them are baseless. Granted, the scale of how much power is stronger than how much power is pretty much non existant, but it's only a rough outline of strength measure (much like the Punching Machine seen later in the series) as a means to grasp what's what.

Aside from this, the claim "They take away supsense as to who will win and make fights all about power instead of skill" is quite... how do I say this politely... idiotic. First of all, on the rare ocassions where they were given first, prior to the fight, they were either incorrect (Z Fighters Vs. Saibamen), you already 'knew' who would win anyway (Vegeta Vs. Dodoria or, hell, Kui), or the underdogs used skill and came out on top (Piccolo/Goku Vs. Raditz) despite being weaker.

It's not like the series went "Oh, my PL is 15,000 and yours is 10, I win!" and moved on to the next encounter. The technique was still there and, on top of that, the power thing existed well before the introduction of Power Levels. After all, in another thread we were talking about how Kami could flick Goku away without even trying when they first met. And then there's the fact Goku couldn't scratch Old Daimou when first they met. So it's not like that's a new element brougth about by the Power Levels. The Power Levels just give you a rough scale to look at, just like you'd still weight whatever you weight even if no-one had ever invented a scale for you to be weighed on.
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Good point.

Gamingdevil
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gamingdevil » Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:18 pm

I'm only using powerlevels now, because they were there in that part of the series, you won't ever see me pull some out of my *** when I don't have a very good reason/solid base for them.
Who said life isn't a game?

Mike D
Regular

Post by Mike D » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:58 pm

Xyex is right. Say boxer A can bench press 375 and boxer B can only bench press 235. All boxer B needs is crisp, perfect technique and he would win.

Piccolo didn't have a power level of 1,000,000 where as Freeza did; and Piccolo still served 'em. Piccolo was a better fighter than Freeza who had just raw power.

tealsmith
Beyond Newbie

Post by tealsmith » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:16 pm

Mike D wrote:Piccolo didn't have a power level of 1,000,000 where as Freeza did; and Piccolo still served 'em. Piccolo was a better fighter than Freeza who had just raw power.
I always liked that about Piccolo. It seemed in several instances through the series he was faced with opponents much stronger then him, but he always managed to pull through. Raditz, Freeza, Cell Jr.

In essence, I figure that Nail's fusion with Piccolo didn't give Piccolo a huge power boost, so much as it increased his skill and fightning knowledge. Nail was a Namekian warrior, so through him Piccolo could have possibly gained generations of styles and techniques.
"My heart, it ceases. My breath, undrawn. My eyes forever focussed - on the sanguine metal dawn." - Caduca, Thief II: The Metal Age

Tenka-Ichi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenka-Ichi » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:08 pm

Yeah, two of Piccolo's best atributes is that he is an intelligent and agile fighter. He thinks things through and plans out his moves as well as being able to dodge his opponents' attacks. So even if his opponent is more powerfull, it doesn't mean anything if they can't hit him and he manages to catch them off-guard or something like that.

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:43 pm

It sucks that they pretty much killed Piccolo character in the buu saga.
It makes me angry that he gave up against Shin that would have been a great fight. Strength wise they would have been about even.

Back on topic there is no way that piccolo's power level was above 10000. I think that it was the magic of Namekian Fusion giving him a crazy power increase. I agree that it was skill not strength that helped him put the beat down on form 2 Freeza.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

tealsmith
Beyond Newbie

Post by tealsmith » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:54 pm

TheMajinRedComet wrote:It sucks that they pretty much killed Piccolo character in the buu saga.
It makes me angry that he gave up against Shin that would have been a great fight. Strength wise they would have been about even.

Back on topic there is no way that piccolo's power level was above 10000. I think that it was the magic of Namekian Fusion giving him a crazy power increase. I agree that it was skill not strength that helped him put the beat down on form 2 Freeza.
Piccolo had his use in the Buu Saga. He chopped Babidi in half (Very cool, even if he did survive). He also picked up where Goku left off and trained Goten and Trunks in fusion, delayed Buu getting to the time chamber. Plus, I always found it really cool when Buu absorbed Piccolo and began taunting Gohan with his knew knowledge, intelligence, and accent.

And I liked that Piccolo didn't fight him at the tournament. A sign of respect.

Anyways, back on topic, yes. OK, skill can only get you so far. If Nail was roughly around 45 000, adding to 10 000 gets you only 55 000.

As opposed to 1 000 000.

I think it's a safe bet that Piccolo went way above 10 000 in his training at King Kai's.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:46 am

Anyways, back on topic, yes. OK, skill can only get you so far. If Nail was roughly around 45 000, adding to 10 000 gets you only 55 000.

As opposed to 1 000 000.

I think it's a safe bet that Piccolo went way above 10 000 in his training at King Kai's.
But Fusion is not PL + PL. I seriously doubt Piccolo's power climbed beyond 10,000 training with King Kai. He only had a couple of weeks or so.
<Xyex> Good point.

tealsmith
Beyond Newbie

Post by tealsmith » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:37 am

Xyex wrote:But Fusion is not PL + PL.
Hell, I don't think anyone really knows exactly what fusion does :P