Dr. Gero and Planet Namek

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dominator
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Dr. Gero and Planet Namek

Post by Dominator » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:23 pm

This may have already been discussed, but I'm lazy when it comes to searching for something. If I remember correctly, the following is how part of Goku's encounter with Gero went.

Goku: One flaw, you know nothing about my battles on Namek.

Gero: Irrelevant, we have all the data we need.

As well as not knowing about any of this, he seems pretty unconcerned about some missing information. So if he knew nothing about Freeza, how did Cell know who Freeza was and how did he know his techniques (the one-finger Death Beam)?
[url=http://www.freewebs.com/vendavaleste/]Carrion - The Dominator Fansite[/url]

tealsmith
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dr. Gero and Planet Namek

Post by tealsmith » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:34 pm

Dominator wrote:This may have already been discussed, but I'm lazy when it comes to searching for something. If I remember correctly, the following is how part of Goku's encounter with Gero went.

Goku: One flaw, you know nothing about my battles on Namek.

Gero: Irrelevant, we have all the data we need.

As well as not knowing about any of this, he seems pretty unconcerned about some missing information. So if he knew nothing about Freeza, how did Cell know who Freeza was and how did he know his techniques (the one-finger Death Beam)?
As far as I recall, Gero mentioned taking some of Freeza's DNA when he landed on Earth. Could be completely off there though. I also recall him saying he didn't take any of Trunk's because he had all the Saiya-Jin DNZ he needed.

Of course, if his little DNA Collector/Camera Bug was present when Freeza landed on Earth and Gero watched, it would bring up the question of why he didn't recognize Goku's SSJ state, since Trunks went SSJ against Freeza, and Goku used it not long after touching down on Earth.
"My heart, it ceases. My breath, undrawn. My eyes forever focussed - on the sanguine metal dawn." - Caduca, Thief II: The Metal Age

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:35 pm

Didn't he get the data from Freeza and his father when they came to earth?

Edit: Ah, tealsmith beat me to it. And did a better job, I might add.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:38 pm

The spy-bot that stole cells knew about Mecha-Freezer+Cold. Gero himself stopped giving a damn after the time Goku fought Vegeta, if I recall correctly. Most likely he perfected the android designs to the point where #16 was coneived. At one point, he said to Goku "You've past your prime. Even if you did in fact make progress it would be negligable.", and that's an accuracte assumption since, had the events of Namek+Trunks arrival not occurred, Goku's strength would have stopped growing once he healed. That PL would have been significantly less than 90,000, whereas #19 and #20 would have been strong enough to kill Freeza. In those three years and one week, Goku made did make a psychotic amount of progress even by Saiyan standards, so it's not surprising Gero underestimated him.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:41 pm

Also didn't the cells from Frieza only happen in the timeline that Cell came from?

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:28 pm

Everything up to Freeza's arrival was the same in all the timelines, Goku's, Trunks', and Cell's. After that was when things got screwey.

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:32 pm

I'd like to expand on this a bit. Dr. Gero watched Goku use the Kaioken during his battle with Vegeta. I think Gero calculated Goku's future strength increases based on that fight and that technique. I figured the Mecha bugs arrived at the detection of new ki signatures, and readily grabbed samples from Freeza and Kold. They probably scanned Trunks before he went Super Saiyan, got a negative reading for further Saiyan DNA collection and left immediately to return the samples taken from the invading aliens. The fact that Gero probably wanted those samples ASAP is most likely kept him from uncovering the secrets of the Super Saiyans in advance.

During the three years, Vegeta made his transformation in space, and Goku just trained to raise his base against Piccolo and Gohan, therefore making him that much stronger when he became Super Saiyan later on.