HELP! Advice about Dragon Book

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mr. Robot
Not-So-Newbie

HELP! Advice about Dragon Book

Post by Mr. Robot » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:24 pm

I have an opportunity to purchase a Dragon Book (From the Dragon Box Z 1) for fifty bucks. Could anyone tell me how many pages it is, and whether it is actually worthwhile to pay this much money? What kind of stuff does the Z book have exactly? I want this as a collector's item in addition to a reference/episode guide, but I don't want it to be petty and ridiculously small if I'm paying fifty bucks.

Any help? Thanks a bunch in advance.

Magnaboss
Banned

Post by Magnaboss » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:16 am

Interviews, episode guides, some pictures, and general info. Nothing worth paying $50 for.

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:36 pm

It's about 130 pages long, and it's got the dimensions of a magazine (but it's obviously more solid), so it's actually a decent size. I don't know if it's worth $50, that's really up to you. The only real problem with the Dragon Books is that they cater specifically to the Dragon Box. The episode guide, character charts, release timeline, special index and many other features and articles only cover the first 147 episodes, and the book uses references to casing and DVD numbers from the boxset.

The highlights of this book are the early DBZ sketches and art designs, an 8 page round-table discussion with Kenji Shimizu (Fuji TV DBZ producer), Kouzou Morishita (Toei Animation DBZ producer), Kazuhiko Torishima(Shueisha DBZ, in charge of original version), and Takao Koyama (series organizer/screenplay), and seven Q&A's with the following people:

Production:
Matsuji Kishimoto (Production), Akihiko Yamaguchi (Production), Takao Koyama (Series Organizer/Screenplay), Daisuke Nishio (Director), Minoru Maeda (Character Design), Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru (Art Production Supervisor), Tadayoshi Yamamuro (Art Production Supervisor), Kazuya Hisada (Art Production Supervisor), Takashi Tokushige (Art Design), and Shunsuke Kikuchi (Music).
Seiyuu:
Masako Nozawa (Goku), Hiromi Tsuru (Bulma), Toru Furuya (Yamucha), Hiroshi Masuoka (the new Kame Sennin), Mayumi Tanaka (Kuririn), Hirotaka Suzuoki (Tenshinhan), Toshio Furukawa (Piccolo), Ryou Horikawa (Vegeta), Ryusei Nakao (Freeza), and Jouji Yanami (Narrator).

A lot of the stuff like the special index and the articles are still very interesting, but like I said, it doesn't cover the entire series. Anyways, I can't imagine why someone would sell their Dragon Book, it's pretty stupid if you ask me. It's not like some seperate book; it's specifically designed for the Dragon Boxes, but whatever, it's his loss...

By the way, the Dragon Books don't use furigana, so if you don't know all your kanji, then don't expect to read these things anytime soon...