The Forgotten Brother

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

The Forgotten Brother

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:44 pm

A few days ago, I watched Bardock: The Father of Goku and noticed that in the dub version Seripa asked Bardock how long ago his son was born. Bardock replies saying "that was a long time ago". She then reminds him that it was only a day ago. Is it possible that Bardock was making a reference to Radditz?

Another thing I wonder about Radditz is how much older is he than Goku? At the beginning of DBZ, Goku is 24 years-old; I assume that Radditz is probably around 28 or 29, or older.

Finally, In another topic someone said that Goku and Vegeta's mothers were probably a one time sort of thing (after Bardock and King Vegeta were done with them, they hit the road). Does that mean Radditz could be Goku's half-brother instead? Let's face it, Radditz bears none of Goku or Bardock's looks, saying he took after his mother.

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:31 pm

Are they even brothers under Bardock, or are they brothers under the mother Saiyan? I kind of get the feeling that Raditz isn't Bardock's child...
The complete DragonBall archive...Believe.
www.kanzentai.com

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Re: The Forgotten Brother

Post by Dayspring » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:11 pm

Chaos Saiyajin wrote:A few days ago, I watched Bardock: The Father of Goku and noticed that in the dub version Seripa asked Bardock how long ago his son was born. Bardock replies saying "that was a long time ago". She then reminds him that it was only a day ago. Is it possible that Bardock was making a reference to Radditz?

Another thing I wonder about Radditz is how much older is he than Goku? At the beginning of DBZ, Goku is 24 years-old; I assume that Radditz is probably around 28 or 29, or older.

Finally, In another topic someone said that Goku and Vegeta's mothers were probably a one time sort of thing (after Bardock and King Vegeta were done with them, they hit the road). Does that mean Radditz could be Goku's half-brother instead? Let's face it, Radditz bears none of Goku or Bardock's looks, saying he took after his mother.
It's never mentioned when Radditz is born or even about how old he is. Even Nappa got a "he was in his fifties when he died". :P
Vegeta is five years older than Goku, so maybe Radditz is five to ten years older than Goku.

I also get the impression that Saiyans only have one-night stands. I figure since they're so damned heartless, the most affectionate couples would simply be what are considered what "fuck buddies" are on Earth. Although it occurred to me that Radditz might simply be Goku's half-brother as a result, I still think Bardock's Radditz's father, but only because Bardock's bio says he is. :P
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:15 pm

When he first shows up, he makes reference to their parents as the same when he says, "Our father and mother were included among the ones destroyed" or something like that. I need to look at that ep again.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:16 pm

Super Sonic wrote:When he first shows up, he makes reference to their parents as the same when he says, "Our father and mother were included among the ones destroyed" or something like that. I need to look at that ep again.
But that could just as easily mean "our father and mothers" since every Saiyan was killed. :P
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:22 pm

Raditz apparently knew who Bardock was, though.

There must be some kind of registration or something.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:40 pm

Just found the line I was talking about. From the Viz manga: "Our entire race reduced to space dust...even our parents. Your parents, Kakarot."

From the anime: "Just about all of the Saiyans were vaporized into space dust. Our father and mother included!"

Dominator
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dominator » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:28 am

I always thought Raditz to be a bit of a bastard child. Anyway it makes sense that Saiyan women were practically prostitutes and I've got to agree with Dayspring on affectionate couples.

As for his appearance, it would've made more sense if Raditz looked like Tulluce but I guess Akira Toriyama wanted to build up the suspense in who this character was.
[url=http://www.freewebs.com/vendavaleste/]Carrion - The Dominator Fansite[/url]

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:18 am

Yanno..Bulma mentions that Radditz looks like Goku. I've always wondered if she was on something considering there didn't seem to be much in common in terms of looks between Radditz and Bardock. :s But then again, it seems like Radditz is completely forgotten about after he's dead and is only mentioned about once or twice when Vegeta and Nappa arrive on Earth.

I'd assume the two are indeed completely brothers and that Radditz might seem to resemble their mother's side more (even though we never see her or even hear a mention of her aside from the fact that she was killed on Planet Vegeta). Though we gotta remember, at the time of mention of their parents during the manga, Toriyama hadn't completely thought up of the whole past issue with Goku and never did introduce Bardock until drawing a memory of Freeza's involving a Saiyan identical to Goku (and was after the debut of the Bardock special, IIRC).

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:48 am

Tsukento wrote:Yanno..Bulma mentions that Radditz looks like Goku. I've always wondered if she was on something considering there didn't seem to be much in common in terms of looks between Radditz and Bardock. :s But then again, it seems like Radditz is completely forgotten about after he's dead and is only mentioned about once or twice when Vegeta and Nappa arrive on Earth.

I'd assume the two are indeed completely brothers and that Radditz might seem to resemble their mother's side more (even though we never see her or even hear a mention of her aside from the fact that she was killed on Planet Vegeta). Though we gotta remember, at the time of mention of their parents during the manga, Toriyama hadn't completely thought up of the whole past issue with Goku and never did introduce Bardock until drawing a memory of Freeza's involving a Saiyan identical to Goku (and was after the debut of the Bardock special, IIRC).
Chronology says Goku's mother died of a disease one year after the planet blew up. This was probably just to give an explanation as to how Goku got his heart disease, though.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:54 am

Dayspring wrote:
Tsukento wrote:Yanno..Bulma mentions that Radditz looks like Goku. I've always wondered if she was on something considering there didn't seem to be much in common in terms of looks between Radditz and Bardock. :s But then again, it seems like Radditz is completely forgotten about after he's dead and is only mentioned about once or twice when Vegeta and Nappa arrive on Earth.

Chronology says Goku's mother died of a disease one year after the planet blew up. This was probably just to give an explanation as to how Goku got his heart disease, though.
What chronology, and how could it be she died after the planet's destruction when only 4 Saiyans (well, 7 in the movies universe) survived? Plus, I always thought and heard Goku picked up his heart disease on planet Yardrat. Concerning Bulma saying Raditz looking like Goku, well ... that was a dub only line, used in both the Ocean and Redub versions. Can't recall what the sub's said, maybe I'll look back later.
14 years later

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:28 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:What chronology, and how could it be she died after the planet's destruction when only 4 Saiyans (well, 7 in the movies universe) survived? Plus, I always thought and heard Goku picked up his heart disease on planet Yardrat.
Yeah, Radditz mentioned that their parents died when Planet Vegeta was destroyed. I also heard the same thing about Goku getting the heart disease from Yardrat.
Conan the SSJ wrote:Concerning Bulma saying Raditz looking like Goku, well ... that was a dub only line, used in both the Ocean and Redub versions. Can't recall what the sub's said, maybe I'll look back later.
Leave it to me mixing up the versions after going back and forth between watching Japanese, Spanish and English versions. :P Yeah, the line was dub only. Checked my DVD and in the Japanese and Spanish tracks, Bulma's just shocked that the two are brothers. Sorry 'bout that. XD

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:52 pm

Hmm...I've never heard of Goku recieving the Heart Virus from Yardrat. I always thought it was an Earth born disease, seeing as how Trunks told Goku that in the future they had medicine for it. Unless Bulma made the medicine just for Goku...

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:25 pm

I'm not saying I agree with the Chronology on this one (daizenshuu). That's why I said it was probably only written to suggest how Goku caught the disease. It's a pointless factoid that shouldn't have been given. Also, I got the year wrong: it took place between the destruction of planet Vegeta and when Goku arrived on Earth. For those that want to include this as DB fact, maybe she was one of the few Saiyans that were off-world being hunted down and was found already dead?

EDIT: The heart disease is an Earth disease, not one from Yardrat.

h3ndrix2005
Beyond Newbie

Post by h3ndrix2005 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:12 am

Here's a link to a family tree found on THIS website. Although I don't know a thing about his mother, (but the dotted line between Celypa and Bardock is odd) this proves that Raditz was definitely Bardock's son.

LoL, completely random, but I always felt that some of the Saiyajins were test tube babies. Yeah, it's a load of shit, but still, they DID have the technology. If the scientists from Bio-Brolly could do it, why wouldn't the Tsufurujins(is that their name?) be able to?

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:16 am

I remember reading in one of the old DBZ Beckette Magazine articles that Bardock and Celypa were childhood friends, this was written in Beckette's ultimate character bio I believe way back in 2001. Rather this can be supported as fact or not is questionable since Beckette's been known to streth with other things before. Concerning Bardock and Raditz's Father-Son link, there's a phrase in Budokai 3 that deepens the fact they're of same flesh and blood. Defeat Bardock with Raditz and you'll get a "Father..." comment from Raditz in dissapointment at his low class Dad, and for such a short line, definitly my favorite character interaction in Budokai 3 (next to Goten and Omega Shenron's that is :lol: ).
14 years later

h3ndrix2005
Beyond Newbie

Post by h3ndrix2005 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:33 am

I don't think a game like B3 can really 'deepen' any kind of fact. I mean, doesn't it strike you as kind of odd that Cell can somehow create a Genki Dama? (Regardless of what he said in the anime, it would be impossible.)

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:37 am

Actually, Cell mentions that he could probably create a Genki-dama if he wanted in the Manga too.

The idea that you have to have a "pure heart" to make one is some kind of mistranslation or Filler too, from what I can tell, because it is not mentioned anywhere I can find in the Manga.

Also, Goku's disease was probably just some normal, very potent Earthly one. Being among the strongest in the universe doesn't reinforce your immune system a bit.

Raditz is very much Burdock's son. In fact, he mentions the fact that Goku looks like their father as well, which surprisingly was remembered by Toei, even though they already made another Goku copy...for some reason...

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:59 am

h3ndrix2005 wrote:Here's a link to a family tree found on THIS website. Although I don't know a thing about his mother, (but the dotted line between Celypa and Bardock is odd) this proves that Raditz was definitely Bardock's son.

LoL, completely random, but I always felt that some of the Saiyajins were test tube babies. Yeah, it's a load of shit, but still, they DID have the technology. If the scientists from Bio-Brolly could do it, why wouldn't the Tsufurujins(is that their name?) be able to?
The dotted line indicates that Selypa and the rest worked with or for Bardock, not that Selypa is the mother. Look at the Nappa-Vegeta line: it's the same, not indicating that that they're married.

Does anybody want to scanslate the entire page, please?

Conan: Never quote Beckette as canon. It would be like quoting Pojo's, only worse. Also, don't take video games as canon. Each game differs from the other in attempts to make up for losses and make the game more enjoyable.

h3ndrix2005
Beyond Newbie

Post by h3ndrix2005 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:26 am

Look at the Nappa-Vegeta line: it's the same, not indicating that that they're married.
LMAO; I almost fell out of my seat after reading that! I guess I missed that; I was paying more attention to Bardock's side of the pic, so I didn't think to look at Vegeta's side.
Conan: Never quote Beckette as canon. It would be like quoting Pojo's, only worse. Also, don't take video games as canon.
Yes, no more conans, Canon. I mean no more canons, Conan. LoL, disregard that lame joke.

Anyways, I think the family tree is as solid as you can get; anything besides that would just be up to our opinions, which = endless, as well as pointless.

A translation would be nice, though. Anyone know japanese?