What do you think of these fandubs?

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Attitudefan
I Live Here

What do you think of these fandubs?

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:58 pm

First of all, if you want a part in my animation, visit here:

These are my fandubs, or I guess auditions. Whatever. They are clips from the show and all sound effects are added/mixed by me.

Yamcha vs Droid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66Buu2rk ... C0A8BAF88C

Piccolo shoots his first Makankosappo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwIOqkMu ... C0A8BAF88C

Dead Zone, first fight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-vJMAII ... C0A8BAF88C

Enjoy! Oh and please critique :)
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: What do you think of these fandubs?

Post by funrush » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:39 pm

The Yamcha vs. Droid one was pretty good, especially how you did Yamcha's grunts.

Piccolo's Makankosappo was... bad. Raditz voice was bad, Piccolo's didn't really help either.

Dead Zone first fight was great, especially Garlic's minions voices.

In my opinion, these are good, you just need to work on some of the voices, mainly Raditz and Piccolo.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:45 pm

It's not bad, but you really need to work on your voice not getting so high pitched when you're yelling. Also, Goku's voice is really bad, he sounds like Abridged Krillin in my opinion. If you're going for an imitation of Ocean or Japanese Goku, fine, but I'd still tone it down a bit.

And I also agree that Yamcha vs. Droid was really good (except for the Goku voice over at the end).
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:57 pm

Okay thanks you guys! more critiques please from other viewers too!

It's not bad, but you really need to work on your voice not getting so high pitched when you're yelling. Also, Goku's voice is really bad, he sounds like Abridged Krillin in my opinion. If you're going for an imitation of Ocean or Japanese Goku, fine, but I'd still tone it down a bit.

And I also agree that Yamcha vs. Droid was really good (except for the Goku voice over at the end).
So you don't like the Goku at all eh? Could you elaborate a little more (if there is any more to say) It's trying to sound like a Nozawa/Kelamis Goku... some like it others don't.
Piccolo's Makankosappo was... bad. Raditz voice was bad, Piccolo's didn't really help either.
Forget Raditz and Piccolo. None of them (except Raditz) was supposed to sound like FUNi's but more Japanese style. My voice is at a higher pitch to do those voices though....

Garlic Jr minions were the first voices I ever tried to sound like ever since I heard it in 1998.... When I was young I always liked to sound like the characters, like Goku's "LET'S GO!" etc. :D

Thanks again for the critiques!
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:03 am

Well, for my complaints about Goku, it really comes down to two things. I really don't like the falesetto you sometimes reach, as it seems like something that distracts from the actual acting. It's hard to say, raise your voice in anger, or enunciate certains words over others when you're already going at Mach 5 at every word, you know? In particular, at 2:01-2:08, the way you enunciate the sentence is somewhat...babyish. It sounds more like Goku's whining and getting mad rather than saying something in a way that raises tension.

Something similar happens when Goku says "Let's go!" He sounds like Scrappy Doo to me. I mean, let's compare this to Nozawa. Sometimes, she would raise her voice really high, but at other times, she would lower her voice really low and sort of hiss out her words in this scratchy sort of way. So, my advice if you're going to go for the high voice. When Goku says "Let's go", put a little more oomph behind it by speaking from the chest, not from your nose (In choir, you learn to do this by standing really straight, cupping your hands and holding them between your stomach and your waist, then making the most powerful sound you can). Your voice might be a little lower, so if you don't like this, maybe instead of hanging the Leeeeeets, in "Let's go", just say the words really quickly and forcefully, and try to put some scratchiness in it, like Nozawa does sometimes.

Also a little nitpick about "You beat me, I'll take you all on!". You say it all in one breath, and you emphasize "You can't beat me" more than you emphasize "I'll take you all on!". I'd emphasize the 2nd half of that more than the 1st half, but other than that, there's not much you really can do about that since Goku's mouth flaps don't give enough time for anything else. If you want my opinion, you should put "You can't beat me" sometime before we can actually see Goku's face, then say "I'll take you all on" as you actually see his mouth start moving, that way you can actually have a short little pause before that bit comes as well as have the opportunity to say it with more force.

I would also remove most of Goku's grunts as he's deflecting the punches after that, especially the animation where you see his mouth completely still, and save them for when he actually hits enemies. As a martial artist, I can tell you that grunts like those when you're blocking are amateur mistakes that waste breath. Whatever noise you make are usually more low key and not as constant.

Really, aside from those techical complaints, my main problem with Goku is that he just doesn't sound very intimidating. But, I'm someone who likes Sean Schmell's Goku better than either Peter Kelamis or Masako Nozawa, so remember that I'm speaking from that perspective.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:47 am

Thank you for the very in-depth response, I appreciate that.
When Goku says "Let's go", put a little more oomph behind it by speaking from the chest, not from your nose (In choir, you learn to do this by standing really straight, cupping your hands and holding them between your stomach and your waist, then making the most powerful sound you can). Your voice might be a little lower, so if you don't like this, maybe instead of hanging the Leeeeeets, in "Let's go", just say the words really quickly and forcefully, and try to put some scratchiness in it, like Nozawa does sometimes.
I think is something I did wrong for this fandub. The voice is coming from my upper throat - nose areas instead of my chest. So the voice does not sound "intimidating" enough or mad enough. The screams, I think, sometimes come out a little flat with my Goku. I see what you mean with Nozawa, when Goku is mad, the voice deepens and hisses.
Also a little nitpick about "You beat me, I'll take you all on!"....
This was a tough line to do because of the flaps, but you know that. The line was "You can't beat me, I'll take you all/y'all on!" If I wanted to say the line in full I had to speak it really quickly, which in turn, would lose the oomph in the scream.
2:01-2:08, the way you enunciate the sentence is somewhat...babyish. It sounds more like Goku's whining and getting mad rather than saying something in a way that raises tension.
After I have listened to this for awhile, It's like "Bring... it... on!" in a less tense/anger sound with a, how you put it, whinier sound, that sounds too slow for my tastes. If I was to redo it, I would approach it differently.

Thanks for the critique, I don't have direction, I did it myself so this will help me improve for the future (hopefully). Will I ever be good at Goku? Who knows.

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:32 am

The Goku one occasionally sounds like a good Kelamis impression, but it's kind of hard to take seriously overall. I think Fionordequester pretty much covered all the technical details there.

The Makankosappo one... no offense, but it was pretty bad. Raditz sounds like a parody of Justin Cook's screaming, and Piccolo's voice was just plain inappropriate.

I have no complaints about Yamcha though. I was actually very impressed, and I think I like your version better than Chris Sabat's.
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:11 pm

ThunderPX wrote:The Goku one occasionally sounds like a good Kelamis impression, but it's kind of hard to take seriously overall. I think Fionordequester pretty much covered all the technical details there.

The Makankosappo one... no offense, but it was pretty bad. Raditz sounds like a parody of Justin Cook's screaming, and Piccolo's voice was just plain inappropriate.

I have no complaints about Yamcha though. I was actually very impressed, and I think I like your version better than Chris Sabat's.
With Yamcha thank you.

The Raditz one is terrible... I realize that and with Goku dub. I went over that too. Thank you for the criticism and feedback! I appreciate it a lot!