Dragon Ball in Yu-Gi-Oh?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Pancakes

Dragon Ball in Yu-Gi-Oh?

Post by Pancakes » Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:37 pm

I bought a copy of Viz's Shonen Jump Yu-Gi-Oh! volume one a little while ago, and I noticed a few...strange things in there:

http://friendpages.com/pages/anime/kend ... photo9.jpg

Sorry about the size of the picture, but in the main panel, Yugi says "Whoever solves this puzzle shall be granted one wish." "You know what I mean?" "Like the Dragon balls!"

http://friendpages.com/pages/anime/kend ... hoto10.jpg

A Z TV? Isn't that the same TV company that broadcasts the Cell games? O___O;;

http://friendpages.com/pages/anime/kend ... hoto12.jpg

And even the guy's (a producer of Z TV programs) hat! It's a pretty similar 'Z' to the one used in Dragon ball.

I'm not sure wether anyone has the Japanese edition, and can tell me if there things are all in the original. I expected that if it were Shonen Jump's advertising, they'd have put something like: Yugi sez: Buy all the Dragon Ball Graphic novels!! You can't be a duelist without them!! or something similar :P

So, is Takahashi-Sensei a fan of Dragon Ball? I noticed that there has been no artwork from him in the Dragon Ball Kanzenban....

EDIT: 'Chonen' Jump? WTF? >_> <_<
Last edited by Pancakes on Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mattias
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mattias » Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:40 pm

I wouldn't be surprised. I think the first season of Yu-Gi-Oh was animated by TOEI before making the swap to TV Tokyo for "Duel Monsters".
[i]"Well, Diane, I'm sure you and your brother are devistated for the two-headed monster that could have been,"[/i] ~ Tom Tucker.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:41 pm

Yes Takahashi-sensei is a fan of DB. He says so in the interview he does in a later issue of Shonen Jump. Whether or not the "Z TV" thing was a nod or not, I have no idea. As to the "one wish", the idea of finding or accomplishing something in order to be granted wishes is nothing really new, it's always been in folklore. Don't forget that Toriyama himself, was inspired by Chinese mythology when he created DB. :)

Pancakes

Post by Pancakes » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:13 am

Ah, now I see.. Thanks for your help! ^^

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:30 pm

The last picture seems to link to your Cosmo avatar.

Yeah, the first one is an obvious connection with DBZ, (although it's hard to read the text that says it, but I do own the SJ so I know what you're talking about) and if the second one is, it's at least a lot harder to find, so congratulations on that. Even though it might be a coincidence...

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

!

Post by mAcChaos » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:51 pm

Well, if there is one DB reference it stands that logically there might be more, so it probably is.