DBZ #1 Japanese Region 2 release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RC315
Not-So-Newbie

Post by RC315 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:30 pm

DBW wrote:I'm assuming these new menus are also silent. (Or do they have music playing?)
The menus are just as I've posted. They are still images and nothing moves. No clips and no music, which is lame. I'm sure the Dragon Boxes have better menus since they were available in limited quantities.
DBW wrote:Just curious, but what are your impressions of the disk and the remastering? Definately worth it? Good, but not worth the money? Crappy? Just wondering. :D
The remastering is probably the same as the Dragon Boxes. If you have enough money and want the cool looking cases and cover art, you should consider buying at least one. For those that don't have the Dragon Boxes, these DVDs are definately worth buying.

Magnaboss
Banned

Post by Magnaboss » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:45 pm

DBW wrote:Unfortunately, they announced this series as a 49 disk release, which wouldn't include the 3 bonus disks. They might still collect the TV specials on a single disk and release it some time down the line, but at the moment there's no indication of them doing this.
Well, I can keep hoping since what they say now can be different to what they say two years down the track (and considering it's just covering the TV episodes, and the specials and playdia aren't exactly episodes.. you know :) )

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:05 am

Well, for those buying these releases, enjoy getting through the 100% Japanese barrier, considering FUNi are releasing and have released these same episodes Uncut and 100% subtitled by DaizEX's own Daimao. *peers at long collection of FUNi DBZ DVDs on shelf* To each his own.
14 years later

Dan_the_Rebirth

Post by Dan_the_Rebirth » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:31 am

....There's no need for cover shots because...well, there is no cover!
DragonBox DVDs dont have a cover? thats the first time that i heared from a DVD-Box where the singel DVDs dont have a cover

and i think the Box Menü of DVD #1 isnt so good, because they had took animations of the Cell and freeza saga...i think it would be better if they had used only sceens of the episodes on this DVD or the Saiajin saga

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:41 am

Conan the SSJ wrote:Well, for those buying these releases, enjoy getting through the 100% Japanese barrier, considering FUNi are releasing and have released these same episodes Uncut and 100% subtitled by DaizEX's own Daimao. *peers at long collection of FUNi DBZ DVDs on shelf* To each his own.
Jesus Christ, we get it, you don't like the releases because they don't have subtitles. Do you have anything new to contribute?
Dan_the_Rebirth wrote:DragonBox DVDs dont have a cover? thats the first time that i heared from a DVD-Box where the singel DVDs dont have a cover

and i think the Box Menü of DVD #1 isnt so good, because they had took animations of the Cell and freeza saga...i think it would be better if they had used only sceens of the episodes on this DVD or the Saiajin saga
SSJ Goku is in the menus for the individual discs too :P

The menus were decent in that they cover all the sagas. Besides, given the number of discs I was only minorly disappointed in the lack of individual, unique menus for each disc. The designs were still well done.

The 'covers' were actually books, each containing 4 discs with episode listings, and were actually pretty damn attractive. I'll let DBW post pics, or I can take some tomorrow. Still, in terms of singles, the packaging is well done for the individual discs. I love the art, and would say for a watered down (purposefully, to distance them from the limited DBoxes) release they're excellent at the price.

-Corey

Magnaboss
Banned

Post by Magnaboss » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:59 am

Conan the SSJ wrote:Well, for those buying these releases, enjoy getting through the 100% Japanese barrier, considering FUNi are releasing and have released these same episodes Uncut and 100% subtitled by DaizEX's own Daimao. *peers at long collection of FUNi DBZ DVDs on shelf* To each his own.
Yes, with their interviews with dub actors *pass*, spanish audio tracks *pass*, inferior AV *pass*, no next ep rpeviews *pass*, uninspiring coverart *pass*, 3 episode discs *pass*, releases that end up costing more than R2j *pass*, BUT OMG! SUBTITLES! one of the few things FUNimation actually got right, but hey, lets not consider the fact that the R2 release was not designed for people who spoke English!

Oh and we're forgetting- One-two month release delays between volumes, lowbitrate :o

:roll:

I'll just enjoy a relativley easy to understand kids cartoon, with hgiher audio and visual clarity, with the knowledge I have a release that isn't completely fucking BANANAS.

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:09 am

Dan_the_Rebirth wrote:DragonBox DVDs dont have a cover? thats the first time that i heared from a DVD-Box where the singel DVDs dont have a cover
If you mean the label on the back of the disk, then yeah, it's got that. But the individual disks don't have covers because they all came in giant DVD cases that hold 4 disks, and each case was designed the same.

Here's some pics I rounded up.
http://www.u-blog.net/steven70500/img/D ... -Z-BOX.jpg
http://kamisama.com.br/dvd.htm
(You can see the label for disk 1 on the second site. It's the disk in the open case with Goku on it. I'd take some better pics, but I don't have a digital camera :P )
All the disks use the same menu, which kind of sucks, but I don't think it's that big of a deal.
The complete DragonBall archive...Believe.
www.kanzentai.com

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:22 am

Magnaboss wrote:Oh and we're forgetting- One-two month release delays between volumes, lowbitrate :o
My personal favorite was when 'Freeza - SSJ Goku' came out two weeks before 'Babidi - Dark Prince Returns' and 'Rivals'. Must have been funny for people getting the DVDs if they didn't know they were coming out in a weird order:

"Hey! Goku went SSJ! I bet he's gonna kick Freeza's ass!"

*two weeks later, buys new DVDs*

"Alright! Time to see...wait, why's Goku dead? And Gohan's grown up? And who used a branding iron on Vejita?"

Ah well, to each his own. I walked the FUNi path, and traded my entire collection for a Nintendo Wavebird and a game or something, and I'll do the same with the movies when that box comes :P

-Corey

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:44 am

MajinVejitaXV wrote:Ah well, to each his own. I walked the FUNi path, and traded my entire collection for a Nintendo Wavebird and a game or something, and I'll do the same with the movies when that box comes :P

-Corey
LOL, same here. Although I'm actually gonna keep the Pioneer disks of movies 1-3 (best DBZ dubs I've ever heard). I've also still got the DVD set with the 1995 pilot, but other than that I've sold off all my FUNi disks.
Magnaboss wrote:Yes, with their interviews with dub actors *pass*, spanish audio tracks *pass*, inferior AV *pass*, no next ep rpeviews *pass*, uninspiring coverart *pass*, 3 episode discs *pass*, releases that end up costing more than R2j *pass*, BUT OMG! SUBTITLES! one of the few things FUNimation actually got right, but hey, lets not consider the fact that the R2 release was not designed for people who spoke English!

Oh and we're forgetting- One-two month release delays between volumes, lowbitrate
Now, now, let's not get too excited. Remember that subtitles are a very important aspect for many people, and lots of them would rather have an English translation above all else. Especially if they don't know any Japanese at all. Like Corey said, to each his own.

*cough* By the way, you forgot that FUNi's DVDs don't have the Japanese credits and the Vegeta Saga disks have the wrong opening animation. :P
www.kanzentai.com

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:55 am

DBW wrote:
MajinVejitaXV wrote:Ah well, to each his own. I walked the FUNi path, and traded my entire collection for a Nintendo Wavebird and a game or something, and I'll do the same with the movies when that box comes :P

-Corey
LOL, same here. Although I'm actually gonna keep the Pioneer disks of movies 1-3 (best DBZ dubs I've ever heard). I've also still got the DVD set with the 1995 pilot, but other than that I've sold off all my FUNi disks.
Magnaboss wrote:Yes, with their interviews with dub actors *pass*, spanish audio tracks *pass*, inferior AV *pass*, no next ep rpeviews *pass*, uninspiring coverart *pass*, 3 episode discs *pass*, releases that end up costing more than R2j *pass*, BUT OMG! SUBTITLES! one of the few things FUNimation actually got right, but hey, lets not consider the fact that the R2 release was not designed for people who spoke English!

Oh and we're forgetting- One-two month release delays between volumes, lowbitrate
Now, now, let's not get too excited. Remember that subtitles are a very important aspect for many people, and lots of them would rather have an English translation above all else. Especially if they don't know any Japanese at all. Like Corey said, to each his own.

*cough* By the way, you forgot that FUNi's DVDs don't have the Japanese credits and the Vegeta Saga disks have the wrong opening animation. :P
First of all, I said "To each his own" :P . Also, I thought the Dragonbox releases removed the Kanji credits from the OP/ED. And Corey, why the hell are you so pissed at me? I was only pointing out which DVD releases I prefer, yet you bash me over the head when all I was doing was expressing my opinion, which last time I checked, wasn't a crime on a messege board.
14 years later

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:20 am

Conan the SSJ wrote:Also, I thought the Dragonbox releases removed the Kanji credits from the OP/ED.
Nope, every episode is presented 100% intact, including the original credits and everything.

(Well ok, the Trunks Special is missing the preview, but other than that the Japanese DBZ release is mint).
www.kanzentai.com

Magnaboss
Banned

Post by Magnaboss » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:30 am

Conan the SSJ wrote:Words, as to not summon the quote Zigarut
Because each and every single time any discussion is bought up about the Region 2 discs you feel the need to interject the fact that the R1s have subtitles, and not realising that the people buying or are interested in them already KNOW they do not have subtitles, and considering this is a fairly tight-knit forum, everyone knows how you feel about them. Let a happy thing be a happy thing, kay? (IE, please dont shit on the parade, kay?)

Also, got mine, and I can honestly say without a doubt that it has to be some of the classiest, most proer handling of any anime, ever. Holding it in your hands just feels I dunno.. like how quality would feel. Good quality, or something.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:12 am

Dragon Ball Z's been available since its release in Japan in 1989. The US got Dragon Ball Z in 1996. The series completed its run in the US in the early 2000s.

I highly doubt subtitles are really that important to understand the situations going on that you're visually seeing. Especially since the series has been around for YEARS. With the amount of episode guides and summaries released during those years, surely one would know what is going on. Whether they watched the English dub or Japanese dub or just read about what went on in each episode.

What makes THESE DVDs much more worthy of owning are the basic things FUNi stiffs you with.

1) R2 DVDs come with SIX episodes. FUNimation's come with three. Which is better?

2) R2 DVDs come with remastered episodes. FUNimation's truely show the age of the series and have abit of a red tint to it that can poorly affect the image (take Super Saiyan 4 Goku at the end of the GT opening in the GT DVDs, his fur is a blinding bright pink in the FUNi DVDs).

3) Goodies. FUNi's DVDs only include..the DVDs. They're missing the correct openings, missing credits and next episode previews. FUNi's are also terribly inconsistant. We have the first two season DVDs including Spanish audio when the rest of the series does not. Freeza saga DVDs are mostly missing the eyecatchers, and it's difficult to tell which version you got is the re-released fixed version without looking at the disc. R2 DVDs come with a NICE jewel case and a booklet with info. FUNi has..trailers that can be seen on ALL of their products.

Now, there are some good things about the FUNi DVDs. Namely the accurate subtitles from "Daimao," but also the Spanish dub in the Vegeta discs. Three episodes for $20+ a DVD ain't that great, and you're not even getting the COMPLETE versions. Especially since there's a good handful of shows that have just about SEVEN episodes per disc.

I'd say that the R2 discs are certainly more worth the money. Not to mention, those of us who have little space on bookshelves couldn't possibly fit over 80 DVDs of JUST the Dragon Ball Z TV series on them.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:14 am

Can we *not* have every thread concerning R2 releases turn in to people bitching and whining about which they think is best? Jesus Flippin' Christ, it's pretty damn obvious from a technical standpoint which discs are leagues above the others, and we know which ones have subtitles.

Everyone, please let it go. If you can't stay on topic, don't post *at all*.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:13 am

Conan the SSJ wrote:And Corey, why the hell are you so pissed at me? I was only pointing out which DVD releases I prefer, yet you bash me over the head when all I was doing was expressing my opinion, which last time I checked, wasn't a crime on a messege board.
Not at all, and I'm sorry if I seemed like a dick. Someone saying, "The japanese DVD's don't have english subtitles, so the english DVD's are clearly much better!" is kinda old. I've done both, and really the only thing the R1's have going for them (especially now with these individual releases, so price and having to get the series all at once isn't an issue anymore) is the subtitles.

Yes, Toei's discs don't have subtitles. They were never meant to have subtitles. Pointing out a willful omission isn't the same as pointing out the shabby authoring and errors present in FUNi's discs. That's all I'm gonna say about it, and if you want to continue this you can PM me.

Anyway, is there a possibility we can get someone to scan all these covers at high res (preferably .PNG's)? I'd love to have the new art at least.

-Corey

Magnaboss
Banned

Post by Magnaboss » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:41 pm

It's probably just me, but it feels as if the Cha-la- Head Cha-la opening on epiode 1 isn't well.. the same, audio-quality size, as the rest. Does anyone else have this problem?

RC315
Not-So-Newbie

Post by RC315 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:11 pm

I have more captures here, but these are to compare episode 1 from both the Region 1 Funimation Saiyan Showdown video and the Region 2 DBZ #1. They are side-by-side. The one on the left is the Region 1 Funimation release and the one of the right is the Region 2 Japanese release.
http://img263.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ed18aq.gif
http://img263.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ed21bf.gif
http://img369.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ed38qu.gif
http://img369.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ed44xi.gif
http://img369.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ed54yr.gif
http://img313.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ed67wv.gif
BTW, the Saiyan Showdown video has the wrong opening video. I'll try to put up some captures of the correct one.

Mr. Robot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Mr. Robot » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:21 pm

RC315, thanks a bunch for doing all of these scans.

But...I'm a greedy ass. Could someone do some pictures of the Dragon Books? I think Corey said he would... I don't mean scans, just pictures to whatever degree of quality possible without hurting the books. Thanks a lot.

Dominator
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dominator » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:44 pm

Hmm, I prefer the picture on the FUNimation DVDs. I can't stand Goku's bright pink skin, a lot of the brightness on the images of the Japanese DVD hurt my eyes slightly.
[url=http://www.freewebs.com/vendavaleste/]Carrion - The Dominator Fansite[/url]

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:50 pm

Keep in mind that a picture on the computer does not look the same as that same picture being broadcast onto/through actual NTSC video hardware to a low-resolution television.

Also, we have some of our own comparison pictures (thanks to some of our forum members) back up on the old feature we put up after the "Ultimate Uncut" DVDs began coming out.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::