A Fellow Member Converts

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ultimate_DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

A Fellow Member Converts

Post by Ultimate_DB_Fan » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:44 am

During my current run watching DBZ, things have felt a little off lately. I couldn't put my finger on it at first, but I came to the realization that it was simply the Funimation dub with its problems. I don't need a "punched-up" script with corny dialogue to enjoy Z, and I used to wonder why I had a problem watching filler... It was the dub.

I've said a lot of crap in the past about the whole dub vs. sub thing, but I truly understand why the original's so loved. No longer is it about what I grew up with, or prefering the dub 'cause that happens to be the primary language I speak, it's about watching what feels right -- the real way it was meant to be seen, I guess. I'm sittin' there recently watching Goku against Jeice and Burter, and there's a huge, vast difference between Funi's interpretation of Jeice and the original's. The sub's dialogue is simply more mature and better than the dub's.

To those of you who I've given a wrong impression to in the past, I'm sorry. If anything, coming here has sort of been like therapy in that, "You're truly not seeing why the sub's better" kind of way. However, I do stand by my opinion that Faulconer's score is still better, and I'm just glad I can get his music on CD via Amazon.

Is there anyone here who had a hard time converting, or did you just know off the bat that it was a no-brainer?

Puto
I Live Here

Re: A Fellow Member Converts

Post by Puto » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:17 am

Never watched the English dub (of Z), and pretty much every single clip of it I see online makes me glad I never did. Though Kai's dub's cool.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:42 am

I sort of 'converted' gradually. It started with Budokai 1 and 2, which I got for Gamecube and had the Japanese voices. At first I was upset, because I loved my Sean Schemmels and my Chris Sabats. Not that I hated the Japanese cast, I just preferred Funi. However, over time Nozawa & co grew on me and now I can enjoy both (corny dialogue aside). I've also changed my spelling of character names to Kuririn, Tenshinhan, Mr.Satan, Tullece and Freeza, instead of their Funi counterparts.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been blatantly inspired by Akira Toriyama's manga.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:21 pm

I was a full fledged dubbie when I first registered here. While watching the Japanese version of Kai online as it was coming out, I gradually came to enjoy the Japanese cast, and the way the characters acted. It seemed less.....embarrassing to watch. Then after a while I watched the first Dragonbox, with the dub audio, but with the subs from the Japanese version on as well, just to see the real differences out of curiosity. After that I couldn't treat the dub in a serious manner. Despite all of that though, I'm still nostalgic for the voices, characterizations, bgm, and altered dialog, corny and embarrassing as they are, which has lead me to accept the dub, as an officially licensed parody. Its a win/win for me.

Gogeta 00
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gogeta 00 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:11 pm

It's a long story for me, but in a nutshell I was simply persuaded to give the Japanese version a try after years of all the dub bashing. Basically, for years I had accepted that the dub was flawed and inferior, but it took me a while before I actually made the switch, partially because I was in the middle of watching the dub and wasn't too hot on the idea of starting over. I still hold a soft spot for the dub out of nostalgia (mostly the ocean dub though) and I still enjoy the occasional Faulconer track, but I doubt I'll ever watch the entire series dubbed again. But that doesn't mean that I won't pop in the a few episodes of the Saiyan saga with the ocean dub, or a few of the Android/Cell Funi dub episodes every once in a while. I am a true sucker for nostalgia.
[url=http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=9403] 12 years, 100 memories[/url]
[Former dub fan 1996-2008]

DanielGClapp
Regular

Post by DanielGClapp » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:37 pm

I've said this before, and most people think I am completely crazy and ignorant, but I honestly can not handle the Japanese voice cast. Although the script is so much better than the Americanized one, I simply cannot take the voice actors seriously. I have tried to convert so many times, but all in vain. I watched the entire Saiyan arc and parts of the Freeza arc with Japanese voice cast on my Dragon Boxes, and I found myself asking this question: "Were the people down at Toei being serious when they chose the voice actors?" I am not saying that the actual acting is bad, in fact I think it is good. Rather, what I am trying to say is that most of the voice actors do not match the character that they are meant to represent. For example, I think that Goku's voice actor does not, by any means, fit Goku. It's not that I'm being sexist, (which I was accused for in a previous post) it's just that when I look at Goku, I do not see him with a high-pitched lady voice. When is the last time you saw some one that buff with a voice like that? Again, I am not being sexist or racist or racist or anything. I know that a majority of the people on this forum all love the Japanese voice cast, but I am just stating my opinion, which is neither right, nor wrong.

kaialone
Regular

Post by kaialone » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:59 pm

I cant really say that I "converted" to anything. I enjoy the japanese and the german dub the most, but I enjoy both of them in different ways. But it has always been that way.
-凯

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:04 pm

I absolutely love the English version and the Japanese version. But if i had to choose a version to watch all the time, It would be the Funimation version.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:44 pm

DanielGClapp wrote:When is the last time you saw some one that buff with a voice like that?
Mike Tyson?

Your opinions are your opinions, but if you really want to understand Toei's casting decisions here, I would recommend watching all of the original DB in Japanese. (Not that I need a reason to recommend that to people. Everyone do it!) If you still don't get it after that (even if you don't like it), then I will be shocked.
-Rachel

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:26 pm

DanielGClapp wrote:...I simply cannot take the voice actors seriously.
Funny, I feel the same way about the FUNi dub of Z.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:42 pm

I started out as a hardcore dub fan on here, (which was in my introduction post, later edited) and I now can't even watch an episode of Z in English. There's so many things wrong with it. Firstly, the script. It admittedly got better over time, but still, even rarely in Kai, has FUNimation's brilliant punch-up writing. (lolz, cat loves food, i hate the media, pain on the barbie, so funnee) Not just punch-up writing, however. They also seem to think that there cannot be a silent moment. Watch a scene originally with just music in English with subtitles to see what I mean. Prime examples include Gohan's Super Saiyan 2 transformation, Kamesennin's explanation to Maron about Goku and the Red Ribbon Army, Vegeta's flashback to training to become a Super Saiyan, etc. Not only that, but the names. It is not Tribeam, it is Kikoho. It is not Special Beam Cannon, it is Makankosappo. Krillin, Kuririn, Ti-en,Tenshinhan, Spirit Bomb, Genki Dama, etc. (Forgive me if I misspelled any of those.) Now onto voices. Many of them are either poorly acted or unfitting. Kaio should sound like a wise but sometimes silly old man. Jheese is not Australian, he's an alien. Freeza is not a creepy old tranny. ReaCoom is not mentally retarded, Goku isn't superman, you get the idea. The Japanese version feels so much better to me, and I will likely never watch the dub again, unless I'm with someone else who won't watch it in Japanese. Sorry for going on endlessly, but those are my honest feelings.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:45 pm

DanielGClapp wrote:I've said this before, and most people think I am completely crazy and ignorant, but I honestly can not handle the Japanese voice cast. Although the script is so much better than the Americanized one, I simply cannot take the voice actors seriously. I have tried to convert so many times, but all in vain. I watched the entire Saiyan arc and parts of the Freeza arc with Japanese voice cast on my Dragon Boxes, and I found myself asking this question: "Were the people down at Toei being serious when they chose the voice actors?" I am not saying that the actual acting is bad, in fact I think it is good. Rather, what I am trying to say is that most of the voice actors do not match the character that they are meant to represent. For example, I think that Goku's voice actor does not, by any means, fit Goku. It's not that I'm being sexist, (which I was accused for in a previous post) it's just that when I look at Goku, I do not see him with a high-pitched lady voice. When is the last time you saw some one that buff with a voice like that? Again, I am not being sexist or racist or racist or anything. I know that a majority of the people on this forum all love the Japanese voice cast, but I am just stating my opinion, which is neither right, nor wrong.
I think you should know that Nozawa's voice for Goku is probably trying to represent his innocent, childlike nature even as an adult. That's likely the reason Nozawa, who voiced Goku as a child too, was kept on to voice him as an adult.

Although you may know that already. I was just trying to inform you, since I see this criticism a lot. There's nothing wrong with that, though, since you're entitled to your opinion.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

DanielGClapp
Regular

Post by DanielGClapp » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:03 pm

TripleRach wrote:
DanielGClapp wrote:When is the last time you saw some one that buff with a voice like that?
Mike Tyson?

Your opinions are your opinions, but if you really want to understand Toei's casting decisions here, I would recommend watching all of the original DB in Japanese. (Not that I need a reason to recommend that to people. Everyone do it!) If you still don't get it after that (even if you don't like it), then I will be shocked.
Haha, well I think Mike Tyson has more of a lispy gay voice, but ok!

I believe Piccolo explained why you would want everyone to watch the original Dragonball in Japanese, although I probably won't get to that until Dragon Boxes for the original are either official, or officially not going to happen.
Pokewhiz7 wrote:...Jheese is not Australian, he's an alien. Freeza is not a creepy old tranny. ReaCoom is not mentally retarded, Goku isn't superman...
Um so if Jheese is an alien then why would he speak Japanese? He's not Japanese, he's an alien!
Freeza comes pretty close to a creepy old tranny. He sort of looks like a snake, that's what the voice actor was going for.
"ReaCoom is not mentally retarded" - Could have fooled me....
And last - "Goku isn't superman." - first of all, he sort of is the manga version of Superman, and second, why in the world do you think that his American voice actor sounds like Superman? His voice suits him perfectly (IMO) and can be playful and cheerful when needed, and serious when needed. He does not sound like any "Superman" I have heard.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:26 pm

If by "conversion" we mean completely disowning the dub, the dub + Kikuchi option kept me from that. I haven't the slightest clue why folks say the overall combo doesn't make sense, it helps a bunch.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:33 pm

DanielGClapp wrote:Um so if Jheese is an alien then why would he speak Japanese? He's not Japanese, he's an alien!
I guess I could concede on this one.
Freeza comes pretty close to a creepy old tranny. He sort of looks like a snake, that's what the voice actor was going for.
So, snake = creepy old tranny? How he looks is irrelevant, he's supposed to be calm and intelligent, but can get angered,
"ReaCoom is not mentally retarded" - Could have fooled me....
How exactly? If you think he does, then pretty much any member of the Ginyu Force save for maybe Ginyu himself is.
And last - "Goku isn't superman." - first of all, he sort of is the manga version of Superman, and second, why in the world do you think that his American voice actor sounds like Superman? His voice suits him perfectly (IMO) and can be playful and cheerful when needed, and serious when needed. He does not sound like any "Superman" I have heard.
To be fair, in Kai, Schemmel can pull of Goku's childish side perfectly. However, in Z, he sounds like an exaggerated stereotype of a superhero. Goku is a naive, childish, hick. In my opinion, Nozawa pulls those off perfectly. In Kai, if Schemmel could just say ain't or drop a few Gs off of words (I'm fightin'! etc.) But honestly, watch the dub speech as a prime example, and tell me he doesn't sound like a superhero.
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:If by "conversion" we mean completely disowning the dub, the dub + Kikuchi option kept me from that. I haven't the slightest clue why folks say the overall combo doesn't make sense, it helps a bunch.
Yeah, I'll be honest, I watched a few dub episodes with it, and it was a billion times easier to watch.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:21 pm

I watched the dub on TV when I was younger. I ended up buying a DB years later and while playing it I found I really didn't like the voice cast so I switched to hear the Japanese voice cast which I found to sound much, much better. That is about it.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:23 pm

Problem with Z-dub-Jheese isn't that he has an Australian accent, it's that said accent sounds completely fake and overblown. The Kai dub has a far more realistic sounding Australian accent, and what do you know... it doesn't actually bother me there!
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

jnj13

Post by jnj13 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:49 am

When I was a kid, a friend introduced me to the show with the English dub. At the time it never felt cheesy or anything. The music seemed good and the voices all worked for me. At some point during middle school, though, I watched small bits of the original DragonBall series online (with the wonderful Nippon Golden Network subtitles :mrgreen:).

The Japanese version quickly developed a sort of "mysterious" nature in my mind, particularly the original DragonBall: it was the REAL show as it was meant to be seen, nothing left out, and it had many exciting episodes and back-stories that had not yet aired in the dub. Oolong was actually a minor VILLAIN? Bulma flashed Roshi for a Dragon Ball? I HAD to watch it. I would watch the raw Japanese version of DBZ on the International Channel whenever I could (terrible picture quality and all) - it was awesome watching episodes from the Cell saga without having the faintest clue about what the heck was going on (anybody else remember the Bloussant commercials that they always seemed to show during the breaks?). And, of course, I quickly amassed a large collection of VHS fansubs. After awhile I stopped watching the dub completely and started to only watch the show either in raw Japanese or subtitled.

I doubt I will ever watch the dub again... unless I start feeling really nostalgic or something.

DanielGClapp
Regular

Post by DanielGClapp » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:50 am

Pokewhiz7 wrote: So, snake = creepy old tranny? How he looks is irrelevant, he's supposed to be calm and intelligent, but can get angered.
Well I honestly like all of the voices for Freeza. (Original, Japanese Kai, Funimation and Funimation Kai) But, the original Funimation dub is what I heard first and that is what I automatically link to Freeza's character.
How exactly? If you think he does, then pretty much any member of the Ginyu Force save for maybe Ginyu himself is.
I personally think that he was meant to be a big brute, but with a primitive mind. I don't think he is very smart.
To be fair, in Kai, Schemmel can pull of Goku's childish side perfectly. However, in Z, he sounds like an exaggerated stereotype of a superhero. Goku is a naive, childish, hick. In my opinion, Nozawa pulls those off perfectly. In Kai, if Schemmel could just say ain't or drop a few Gs off of words (I'm fightin'! etc.) But honestly, watch the dub speech as a prime example, and tell me he doesn't sound like a superhero.
All right, I have to admit that the speech is very super hero-like, (not to mention cheesy) but I like it. I look up to Goku and he sort of is what I perceive to be a super hero.

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:18 am

I'm honestly not trying to insult anyone but it was the music that made me switch over to the Japanese side. I've said a few times here that I enjoy certain dub tracks and I legitimately, honestly do. That being said I think it's the fact that the music plays for 20 minutes straight with little to no pauses. If I watch three episodes that's essentially an hour straight of listening to music that I don't really enjoy as a whole but can at least tolerate. The music always made me so antsy and annoyed any time I was in for watching a few episodes in succession.

Now that the primary track for DVD releases is the dub voices with the original music I do watch the dub alongside the Japanese version. I watch the dub mainly for nostalgia and it's always fun to see what kind of script changes took place now that I know the Japanese version like the back of my hand. I find it laughably corny but it's fun. I'd be lying if I said I don't watch the English version a lot because I like to fiddle around on my laptop when I watch TV and I'm not good enough at multitasking to look up and read subtitles every couple of seconds.