When And How Will You Introduce "Dragon Ball" To Your Kids?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

When And How Will You Introduce "Dragon Ball" To Your Kids?

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:06 am

The title of this thread pretty much says it all. For clarification's sake, though, by "Dragon Ball" I mean everything "Dragon Ball" related. The manga, the anime (DB, DBZ, DBK, and DBGT)...everything.

At what age and in what forms will you introduce your kids to "Dragon Ball"? I was thinking the other day, "Dragon Ball" has a very big place in my heart, I'm definitely going to make an effort to introduce it to my kids one day (when I actually have kids, obviously). Of course, there's no guarantee that they'll get the same things out of it that I got, but I'm gonna at least make the effort. My hypothetical plan, in a nutshell, is...

-I'll probably introduce them to the anime first, probably when they're 6-7 years old.
-I'll introduce it to them through the English dub. I'll show them DB first, then DBK, then the Buu arc of Z, and then GT.
-I'll probably show them the uncut version too (since that's all that will be readily available by the time I have kids anyway). There are only a few scenes that I might be a tad concerned over.
-After that, I'll tell them about the manga if they're interested.
-Finally, I'll tell them about the original Japanese version so they can check it out if they want.

Anyone else?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Raithos
Advanced Regular

Re: When And How Will You Introduce "Dragon Ball" To Your Ki

Post by Raithos » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:11 am

Hmm same age as you around 6-7, but they'll be seeing the Japanese versions of course maybe like a family thing just me and them, all from DB to Z and GT aaaaaand they can read the manga if they wish or check out the English dub if they desire later on.
Otaku at heart.
Come visit me and my collection here!

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:10 am

Since both my serious girlfriend and I really enjoy Dragon Ball, this is definitely happening at some point in the future. I don't see the need for a plan; they'll probably just drop in during an episode while I'm watching it on my own and start from there.

Fin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Fin » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:22 am

I'll have to introduce is to nieces, nephews, or godkids, assuming I get any. :lol: I've never really thought about it, but 6 or 7 sounds about right. I'll probably give em some of my Viz graphic novels.

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:30 am

I'm gonna try and replicate how it was with me. I'll show him (or her) the first episode of the portuguese dub of Dragon Ball and go all the way to 64 of GT, with all the movies and specials in-between after he's 5.
After that, he'll take a break...THEN i'll show him the japanese version, which will be followed by the manga. (During the Red Ribbon arc some Dr. Slump readings will be required lol)

As far as games: Advanced Adventure -> Revenge of King Piccolo and/or Attack of the Saiyans -> Budokai 3 -> Super DBZ -> Sparking! Meteor (-> Maybe RB2 and Ultimate Tenkaichi)

And whenever he behaves badly, the punishment will be GT Transformation :lol:
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:16 am

I would introduce them to it the same way I was. When they're 12 or 13, I'll show them the Ocean Dub followed by the Funi dub and then when they're older they can get to watch the Japanese dub.

DanielGClapp
Regular

Post by DanielGClapp » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:29 pm

Yeah I'd start at 6 or 7. However, I would show them Z first, then DB, then GT. I would show them the dub and they could check out the Japanese dub later (when they can fluently read subs). After all, I was planning on showing my kids (if any) all of the things that I grew up with, like Rocko's Modern Life, Pokemon, DB and things of that nature. I don't like the way modern cartoons are headed. Have you seen Cartoon Network lately?

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:25 pm

DanielGClapp wrote:Yeah I'd start at 6 or 7. However, I would show them Z first, then DB, then GT.
Why? Are you gonna skip all the way to Johto when you show Pokemon as well?
DanielGClapp wrote:Have you seen Cartoon Network lately?
Why yes I have. Even with some of the crap it still airs, there are still some fun and original programming still keeping the channel alive.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:41 pm

DanielGClapp wrote:I don't like the way modern cartoons are headed. Have you seen Cartoon Network lately?
Yes I have, and Thundercats is somehow awesome. Yeah, okay, that's pretty much the only example I have to challenge your point, so I guess overall you're right... but Thundercats!

I'd probably show my kids the dub first. Actually, to be more precise, I'd try to show them whatever's airing on TV at the time if anything. So if that's Kai, then I'll show them Kai. I'd rather they experience what other kids are watching so they can talk about it with peers if they so choose. As for the Japanese version, I'll show it to them if they express any interest or curiosity, but I simply don't feel it's important to expose them to it.

thedarkuniter
Beyond Newbie

Post by thedarkuniter » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:50 pm

If I were to have kids, I'll probably introduce them when they turn 7 or 8. Before showing them Dragon Ball, I'll show them all of Dr. Slump via the manga. Then, I'll probably all of Dragon Ball ( the original) to them via the dub and for the Z portion, I'll show them Dragon Ball Kai with the English dub and Kikuchi score and the Majin Boo saga via the Dragon Box and dub. GT, though, is up for them if they want to see it.
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TP2O

DanielGClapp
Regular

Post by DanielGClapp » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:57 pm

AgitoZ wrote:Why? Are you gonna skip all the way to Johto when you show Pokemon as well?
No I won't. This is how I was introduced to DB and I would want my kids to experience the same thing. As far as Pokemon goes, Johto is just a different region within the same show. It's pretty much just like a different season. DB and Z are two different shows within the same story line. Johto is still contained within the same original series, so that's not really a fair comparison.
AgitoZ wrote:Why yes I have. Even with some of the crap it still airs, there are still some fun and original programming still keeping the channel alive.
Well good. However, it's not nearly enough to make me watch it or want to show it to anyone. We'll see how they do in a few years.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:58 pm

I will first raise them on the dub. When they reach a certain age, I shall implement subs over the dub, so they can get a taste of the real thing. Finally, I'll allow them to watch the original at some.....undisclosed point.

But really I wouldn't have kids.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:51 pm

DanielGClapp wrote:No I won't. This is how I was introduced to DB and I would want my kids to experience the same thing. As far as Pokemon goes, Johto is just a different region within the same show. It's pretty much just like a different season. DB and Z are two different shows within the same story line. Johto is still contained within the same original series, so that's not really a fair comparison.
I think it's a fair comparison. Sure Pokemon isn't as continuity heavy, but like you mentioned both are part of the same continuing story line or show. I don't quite understand your logic. You could easily compare Z to just another season since it's continuing with past characters and events, like switching from region to region. So why skip about a third of DB's storyline?
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:09 pm

DanielGClapp wrote:I don't like the way modern cartoons are headed. Have you seen Cartoon Network lately?
Watch Young Justice and the new Thundercats.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:13 pm

It depends if I have kids or not? I first hear about Dragon Ball when I was six or seven, it won't be something that I won't force someone to watch. I think having them watch the first DB anime would be a good choice.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:35 pm

when/if it I happen to have kids I'll show them the show in the correct order in English with Japanese music at around 6-7 and perhaps introduce them to the japanese version later on. Of course Dragonball Bedtime stories will be a must :)
Please check out my Youtube channel GLEclipseGaming
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8otmN ... FvDYiaKt9w

Currently Playing
Gundam Breaker 3

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:42 pm

Super Sonic wrote:
...to confirm their point?

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:34 pm

It's not a big enough deal to me that I'd force it onto them. If they see me watching or see any Dragonball media and ask, then there will be dialogue.
Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:
Super Sonic wrote:
...to confirm their point?
Ouch.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:02 pm

My brother already saw it at 5 years of age, so I already have an experinece in this :D
Well I said: Do you wanna watch what your immature hopeless brother is watching?
Well, one of his favorite series next to Saint Seiya and Gundam.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

DanielGClapp
Regular

Post by DanielGClapp » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:44 pm

AgitoZ wrote:I think it's a fair comparison. Sure Pokemon isn't as continuity heavy, but like you mentioned both are part of the same continuing story line or show. I don't quite understand your logic. You could easily compare Z to just another season since it's continuing with past characters and events, like switching from region to region. So why skip about a third of DB's storyline?
Like I mentioned before, I was first introduced to Z, so that's how I want my kids to watch it. And what I'm trying to say is that Z is a different show than DB. It has different characteristics than DB, even though it is a continuation of the same story line. It's not the same thing with Johto. You can't really use Pokemon as an example because the original series was the most popular, and that was at the beginning. Z was the most popular here, but that was in the middle of the story line. Not that any of this even matters.