FUNimation DBZ TV Blu-ray Official On-Going Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Corpsecreate
Beyond Newbie

Re: FUNimation to put DBZ on Blu-Ray

Post by Corpsecreate » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:46 am

So how many frames does the eyecatch go for (in the first episode)?

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:56 am

Blu-Ray.com has a review up along with 20 screenshots:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dragon-Ba ... 59/#Review

SSJMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJMan » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:20 am

Corpsecreate wrote:So how many frames does the eyecatch go for (in the first episode)?
I'm going to have to get back to you on that one.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:31 am

None of this is "wow"ing me enough to want this over my Dragon Boxes.

The quality looks very inconsistent, Opening 1 looks gorgeous (Even with that craptastic music over it) but it was clearly taken from movie 1 and not the series itself. The screens posted look overly grainy and the line quality is WAY too fuzzy.

Gonna take a pass on this.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

isamu

Post by isamu » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:17 am

DemonRin wrote:None of this is "wow"ing me enough to want this over my Dragon Boxes.

The quality looks very inconsistent, Opening 1 looks gorgeous (Even with that craptastic music over it) but it was clearly taken from movie 1 and not the series itself. The screens posted look overly grainy and the line quality is WAY too fuzzy.

Gonna take a pass on this.
How can you judge it if you haven't seen it?

Mountain
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mountain » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:18 am

Oh, how I love grain.

www.KristaMichaels.com

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by G1Ravage » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:49 am

I must say, I respect FUNimation's tenacity in piecing together a creditless version of opening 1. Still, the lack of previews and English-only title cards make this a pass for me. I don't need to see Dragon Ball Z in HD, and my complete Dragon Box collection is all I need now.

Now, had the Dragon Box not been released, I probably would have picked up a few sets of this.

DMaarten

Post by DMaarten » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:17 am

Must have for me! I personally could not care any less about the textless openings or title cards :)
The image quality is good, the grain is as it is, if people don't want it then there probably are options on the tv for DNR or whatever it is called per brand :)

I hope that one day they will give Dragonball the same treatement :)

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:11 am

mikezilla2 wrote:is the brown on his scouter ruined in all of the versions like that ?
It's probably worth noting that the difference in colors between the Orange Bricks and the Dragon Box releases got smaller as the series progressed. This may be because the copy Funi has just is darker at those episodes (level 1.1 and level 1.2 releases). We saw similar issues with coloring with the Orange Season Sets. During the Freeza saga, I seem to remember the colors were closer to each other than the Saiyan Saga (Season Sets vs. DBox). So, I'm forecasting the future releases won't have as many color-detail issues. If you find all of the Orange Set releases, we all did screen shot comparisons to the R2 DBox releases, some of the colors were very close as the series progressed. The issue was always more of a "boosted contrast, overly smoothed, not restored, wide-screened" issue than a color issue for the Cell Games and Buu Sagas (it was Nappa toothpaste, not Buu toothpaste, right?).

I'm betting on the future episodes to look very nice -- especially after seeing those preview shots of the Namek Saga.

On another note, I'm hoping my set comes today. I might make another comparison video (like I did with the link in my sig).

And just to take a side on things here - I wish the Japanese titles cards were REALLY included and also I like CCCP. :lol:
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:18 am

All of the disappearing line stuff wasn't even an issue for Seasons 6-9. There was still DVNR applied, but to a much smaller degree. There was still grain present, just more smoothed out.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:25 am

jjgp1112 wrote:All of the disappearing line stuff wasn't even an issue for Seasons 6-9. There was still DVNR applied, but to a much smaller degree. There was still grain present, just more smoothed out.
I have to say I can point out a few disappearing line scenes in the last few seasons... but ONLY a few. And to be honest, the effect was so small it was easy to miss. Far different than the fist few sets though where the release was plagued by it.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:09 pm

I'm with Gozar, these don't seem consistent. That menu opening was damn sexy, but these screenshots not so much. It seems like we're going to have to compare the footage in motion to really give it a fair shake.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:19 pm

never mind. Someone already posted the review.

orangebrick94
Beyond Newbie

Post by orangebrick94 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:48 pm

So is the 1.1 Blue ray set worth getting?I havent seen any real opinions yet just screenshots and comparisons.

SSJMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJMan » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:02 pm

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:I'm with Gozar, these don't seem consistent. That menu opening was damn sexy, but these screenshots not so much. It seems like we're going to have to compare the footage in motion to really give it a fair shake.
Dbox
http://api.ning.com/files/OGUvl*C1eUZEL ... Dl2/gh.BMP
Level 1.1
http://api.ning.com/files/Tgdvq3nIOyOAR ... 152436.BMP
Its not the exact same frame. But close.
Last edited by SSJMan on Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:04 pm

The Dragon Box does not look anywhere NEAR that blurry.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:06 pm

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:I'm with Gozar, these don't seem consistent. That menu opening was damn sexy, but these screenshots not so much. It seems like we're going to have to compare the footage in motion to really give it a fair shake.
My set is due in today (I'm waiting for the mail now actually), but I'm prepping some comparison footage between Orange Season Sets, Dragon Box, potentially Kai (DVD Kai though) and the new bluray release all on the same video frame. I'll have to downscale a bit to fit everything though. But to be honest, the video wouldn't ready until tomorrow at best - but it will still be fun to do.
Last edited by ect5150 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ect5150

orangebrick94
Beyond Newbie

Post by orangebrick94 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:12 pm

ect5150 wrote:
My set is due in today (I'm waiting for the mail now actually), but I'm prepping some comparison footage between Orange Season Sets, Dragon Box, potentially Kai (DVD Kai though) and the new bluray release all on the same frame. I'll have to downscale a bit to fit everything though. But to be honest, the video wouldn't ready until tomorrow at best - but it will still be fun to do.
Sounds awesome cant wait to see it :)

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:20 pm

orangebrick94 wrote:Sounds awesome cant wait to see it :)
Thanks! I'll make it PS3 compatible. I want to do the Makankosappo piece and a second video showing some of the damage cleanup... for shots like this:

ect5150

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:26 pm

From what little I've seen so far: the Blu-Ray footage is actually looking pretty sweet in my eyes, way better than the Season Sets and even better than the Double Features. I probably would've picked this release up... if not for my precious Dragon Boxes.

This is good news and a good alternative for those who want Z (not Kai) in Blu-Ray (I don't really care about HD transfers for 80/90s anime personally), and especially fans of the Eng dub+American score who want something better visually than the Season Sets.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.