Other's views on DBZ BGM (JP)

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Other's views on DBZ BGM (JP)

Post by Bejiita » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:54 pm

No, not others here, I mean people you have shown this music to that haven't watched any Japanese DBZ, so they don't know where this music originates from or what it is. I always play the BGM tracks out of my speaker when I'm either:-

- playing DBZ Sparkling or DBZ3
- drawing
- doing something else

So the main point of this topic is what do people think this music is?

I asked my Mum after playing some battle music she says it sounds like circus music, she didn't really like it. Mostly tracks 2 to 11 from the Daizenshuu.

Asking my Dad he says it sounds like a mix of classical music and something else. He liked it so I let more play from Disc 5, the movie set.

My friend says it sounds like Theme Park music, the sort they play in the queue lines (I agree that some BGM tracks do a bit).

You just have to think, if you'd never have seen any Japanese episodes that you can relate certain pieces of BGM to, what would you think of it?

Obviously it depends on the piece you play, but there are a large majority of tracks that sound quite similar, especially to those who haven't heard the music.

I thought I'd try something different with this type of thread, I'd like to know what (if you've shown anyone else) other's opionions are on Japanese BGM.
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:55 pm

Asking my Dad he says it sounds like a mix of classical music and something else. He liked it so I let more play from Disc 5, the movie set.
I kinda agree since I haven't seen much Japanese Dragon Ball, only a few or so episodes and the movies. But they do sound extremely different from each other though. Very different.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:30 am

Well I grew up watching a lot of classic anime, so when I first heard the music, it wasn't all that "alien" seeming to me. A lot of it is similar to the music of many classic children's anime shows back in the 80's. I can understand how others would find the original BGM strange or silly, but to me it was nice.^^

As to other's reactions, I haven't really asked around too much. I have seen little kids watching the original and well, truthfully, they didn't seem to notice the music too much. They were too busy watching Goku transform and pummel enemies.XD Which makes you wonder if Funi should really go to all that trouble to blast punk rock songs during every fight scene.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:54 pm

I always thought that the BGM from Jp. DBZ sounds like it's out of a corny 70's action show (mainly because of the overuse of horns and trumpets), but that's never stopped me from loving it to death!
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

Leotaku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Leotaku » Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:57 pm

I actually HAVEN'T watched a single episode in Japanese (although, the dub version of DragonBall and GT that I watched kept the original BGM intact).

But I still enjoy the music anyway, just as music; not necessarily that I can relate them to great moments in the show.
It would probably have more effect if I could, but I still like 'em anyway.

A couple of favourites off the top of my head from the CD set you mentioned are that Red Ribbon song (I think that's what it is) off the Dragonball vocal disc, and that one where they keep yelling "Dragon!" off the DragonBall Z vocal disc. :lol:

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:16 am

Leotaku wrote:I actually HAVEN'T watched a single episode in Japanese (although, the dub version of DragonBall and GT that I watched kept the original BGM intact).

But I still enjoy the music anyway, just as music; not necessarily that I can relate them to great moments in the show.
It would probably have more effect if I could, but I still like 'em anyway.

A couple of favourites off the top of my head from the CD set you mentioned are that Red Ribbon song (I think that's what it is) off the Dragonball vocal disc, and that one where they keep yelling "Dragon!" off the DragonBall Z vocal disc. :lol:
Wow, that's suprising. Have you not got any DVD's with the Japanese track on it? You should definately check it out.

The Japanese language isn't as complex as you think, it's completely different from Chinese, which many people think are similar. Japanese sound sort of like a European language.

Edit, just thought up this little rap about Vegeta, didn't have no where to put it so I thought, here.

This is a fast tempo rap that would easily go to a Japanese BGM no problem, just imagine a Twista rap on a fast tempo'd BGM track, it goes perfectly. Try the battle theme used in the majin buu saga, when base Vegetto starts to smack up Buu after Kibitokai cheers for both of them. They also use this tune when Goku holds his hand in Kaio shin's face until he moves.

Ok. This is Vegeta talking from now on.

''I'm the leader, I'm Vegeta,
I'm the greatest ki attack reader,
and I won't take shit from no creep nah,
better duck down right down when I see ya,
I'm meaner, not like a dealer,
like I said my name is Vegeta,
I might bluff sometimes but I'll knock out your eye
and I'll make you look like Leela,
you're a squealer, like Freeza,
you don't wanna clash me I'll beat ya,
from this dimension delete ya,
if you're still breathing Dende won't heal ya.''

Sorry for anti rap fans, I just though this would be a laugh, I'm a garage MC (like Dizzee Rascal style, or Rolldeep) and I always make up little rhymes for jokes.

Not as if you'd still be breathing if Vegeta dealt with you anyway. :lol:

And sorry to use the dimension deleted term which so many hated Funi for using, it just fitted in quite good.
My DB Fan manga:
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

Leotaku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Leotaku » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:18 am

I never buy DVDs, though I have one DragonBall one that I won in a contest. :roll:
It does have the Japanese version on it, but I never got around to watching that version.

That rap was pretty amusing. It would've been more effective to hear it and not read it, but that can't be helped. I especially like the reference to Leela. :lol:

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:27 pm

Leotaku wrote:I never buy DVDs, though I have one DragonBall one that I won in a contest. :roll:
It does have the Japanese version on it, but I never got around to watching that version.

That rap was pretty amusing. It would've been more effective to hear it and not read it, but that can't be helped. I especially like the reference to Leela. :lol:
It was a bit funny, the bit with Leela was supposed to be.

About the Japanese version, you should watch an episode of it, you may like it, it's completely different to the dub, well, soundwise, certain scenes are more dramatic. If you ever think about getting one of the new Ultimate Uncut DVD's get the one where Gohan turns into Oozaru and fights Vegeta, that's a good one to watch. I don't think it's out yet though.
My DB Fan manga:

Leotaku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Leotaku » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:47 pm

I've never bought DVDs. Or even videos. :P
But if I ever do, thanks for the recommendation.

Hao_Kaiser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Hao_Kaiser » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:49 pm

I'll admit when I first heard it, I wanted to die, but now I love it. To the max.

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:11 am

Hao_Kaiser wrote:I'll admit when I first heard it, I wanted to die, but now I love it. To the max.
The first time I heard it was when I got a really bad quality fan sub off of my friend from scholl when I first got into it, and for some strange reason I liked it a lot, but when ever I pictured DBZ in Japanese, I thought, messed image, yellow(barely readable) subs, and crappy sound, when I could just about hear the BGM playing, that's why sometimes it didn;t occur to me the BGM was different, then I realised the scenes with no sound, I was like, 'what? No sound?'
My DB Fan manga: