Interest gauge for a Mexican dub release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

majinboogc
Not-So-Newbie

Interest gauge for a Mexican dub release

Post by majinboogc » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:05 pm

To satisfy my own curiosity and possibly to gain FUNimation's attention, I would like to know how many Daizenshuu EX-ers would be genuinely interested in a Mexican Spanish release by FUNimation in the USA.

We have had a tease here and there with the Cooler's Revenge DVD, the Ultimate Uncut DVD set and the Faux-remastered Spanish only release.

I already own the complete Dragon Box Z set but I would really like to see a complete version of the Mexican dub that isn't on VHS or on Bootleg DVDs.
I am SaiyaKaizoku.

What happened happened and couldn't have happened any other way. - Morpheus (The Matrix Reloaded)

nathantheguitarist
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Interest gauge for a Mexican dub release

Post by nathantheguitarist » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:32 pm

They could've thrown it on the Blu-rays, but that's too late now. Also, they tried a Spanish release and then stopped... If that was their gauge of interest, then it doesn't bode well.

So now, I'm looking forward to En Pantalla's release. Whenever it's coming...
http://daizex.com/old_updates/updates-2011_04.shtml

If Funi did happen to release it on their own again, then I'd be pleasantly surprised. If they managed to finish it, I'd be amazed. Some new bricks would be all they'd need. If Funi happens to see this thread for whatever reason, WANT. :P
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:45 pm

I love comparing dubs, so why not?

trunkschan90
Beyond Newbie

Post by trunkschan90 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:16 pm

I would like the Mexican dub too. They added it to movie 5, why couldn't they have added it to the rest of the movies.

I would also like to have the entire series, they could have added to the orange bricks or something.

dragonfist
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonfist » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:57 pm

I second this motion! :wink: Even if I already have the Dboxes. :lol:

thedarkuniter
Beyond Newbie

Post by thedarkuniter » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:05 pm

I'm interested in the Mexican dub as well. Not only the scripts are accurate, but also it has really great voices. It also allows me to improve my Spanish vocabulary, so why not? :)
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TP2O

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:05 pm

I'm hoping one day the Filipino English dub of DBZ movies 5 and 6 are released on DVD.

We all have dreams.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:35 pm

I'm all for it since I'm interested in all different languages and dubs. But, let's be honest here. Your average "American" hardcore dubbie (not saying that as a bad thing and it doesn't necessarily apply to all of these types of fans); however, they'd probably think something like "What's this Mexican shit doing on my DBZ?" Around where I live, I don't know if they're joking. But, they're pretty ignorant about foreign languages and usually just call Spanish "Mexican". I can't stand that type of ignorance. I personally love for as many different languages to appear as possible; but, it just wouldn't happen. And you'd need to garner the support of Mexican dub fans living in the US and outside of Daizex. Daizenshuu EX maybe a big community; but, it's still not that big to show the fanbase of DBZ in America. Hell, a lot of members aren't even from America and usually tend to be more interested in the Japanese version and sometimes their own dubs. But that's fine, as Daizex I'm sure is for all worldwide fans to discuss near-everything Dragon Ball.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:45 pm

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:I'm all for it since I'm interested in all different languages and dubs. But, let's be honest here. Your average "American" hardcore dubbie (not saying that as a bad thing and it doesn't necessarily apply to all of these types of fans); however, they'd probably think something like "What's this Mexican shit doing on my DBZ?" Around where I live, I don't know if they're joking. But, they're pretty ignorant about foreign languages and usually just call Spanish "Mexican". I can't stand that type of ignorance. I personally love for as many different languages to appear as possible; but, it just wouldn't happen. And you'd need to garner the support of Mexican dub fans living in the US and outside of Daizex. Daizenshuu EX maybe a big community; but, it's still not that big to show the fanbase of DBZ in America. Hell, a lot of members aren't even from America and usually tend to be more interested in the Japanese version and sometimes their own dubs. But that's fine, as Daizex I'm sure is for all worldwide fans to discuss near-everything Dragon Ball.
I'd hardly say the average person that buys DBZ is a dubbie. Joe Schmo buys DBZ because its DBZ, the show he remembers from years ago. Schmo will just pop in the disk and hit play. He doesn't care about the other language tracks that are already on it. There isn't any incentive for FUNi to include another.

But with that said, a man can dream...
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:01 pm

Yeah, good point, haha. I agree now that you mention it that way; but, as you said "A man can dream". I wouldn't be surprised if this popped up on a release considering how much DBZ gets re-re-re-re-re-released.

majinboogc
Not-So-Newbie

Post by majinboogc » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:17 pm

nathantheguitarist wrote:...they tried a Spanish release and then stopped... If that was their gauge of interest, then it doesn't bode well.
Yes FUNimation did try a Spanish only version and I can only imagine why that release failed. I can only speak for myself but the only disc that I bought from that series was "El Principe Saiyajin". Having purchased all of the Ultimate Uncut volumes which already contained the Spanish track. I pre-ordered the 10th volume of the Spanish only release but by then I guess it was too late. That series was quietly cancelled.

Then there was the En Pantalla official Mexican release. I bought all six volumes available but that was cancelled also. The re-licensing agreement only adds one more volume worth of episodes and who knows when we will see those.
I am SaiyaKaizoku.

What happened happened and couldn't have happened any other way. - Morpheus (The Matrix Reloaded)

majinboogc
Not-So-Newbie

Post by majinboogc » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:26 pm

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:Your average "American" hardcore dubbie (not saying that as a bad thing and it doesn't necessarily apply to all of these types of fans); however, they'd probably think something like "What's this Mexican shit doing on my DBZ?" Around where I live, I don't know if they're joking. But, they're pretty ignorant about foreign languages and usually just call Spanish "Mexican".
That is exactly what I was afraid of but I'm glad that you guys have all been positive about this. :D

This man is dreaming of a limited edition blu-ray set with the English dub with the Kikuchi score, Mexico's Spanish dub and the original Japanese audio tracks.
I am SaiyaKaizoku.

thedarkuniter
Beyond Newbie

Post by thedarkuniter » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:38 pm

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:I'm all for it since I'm interested in all different languages and dubs. But, let's be honest here. Your average "American" hardcore dubbie (not saying that as a bad thing and it doesn't necessarily apply to all of these types of fans); however, they'd probably think something like "What's this Mexican shit doing on my DBZ?" Around where I live, I don't know if they're joking. But, they're pretty ignorant about foreign languages and usually just call Spanish "Mexican". I can't stand that type of ignorance. I personally love for as many different languages to appear as possible; but, it just wouldn't happen. And you'd need to garner the support of Mexican dub fans living in the US and outside of Daizex. Daizenshuu EX maybe a big community; but, it's still not that big to show the fanbase of DBZ in America. Hell, a lot of members aren't even from America and usually tend to be more interested in the Japanese version and sometimes their own dubs. But that's fine, as Daizex I'm sure is for all worldwide fans to discuss near-everything Dragon Ball.
You mention dubbies would say something if there's a Spanish track on an official release. Many cases if the dubbies is from what I called "English America" (Spanish is like the second most spoken language here), he or she wouldn't care about the extra audio track, most cases they'll watch the English dub. Hell, most local Americans don't really care about extra audio opinions or subtitle opinions for movies or shows, as long as it is in English, they're good.
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TP2O

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:48 pm

thedarkuniter wrote:
You mention dubbies would say something if there's a Spanish track on an official release. Many cases if the dubbies is from what I called "English America" (Spanish is like the second most spoken language here), he or she wouldn't care about the extra audio track, most cases they'll watch the English dub. Hell, most local Americans don't really care about extra audio opinions or subtitle opinions for movies or shows, as long as it is in English, they're good.
Yeah, I'm not entirely sure how'd the react. But, then again some of what I said was assumption, so definitely room for me being wrong. But, that sounds even more accurate. I guess the point I really wanted to make was that like around where I live, they're ignorant about anything not English. But, I guess I'm trying to bring my own experiences. I usually check out dubs and subs of anything. Whether American (North, South), Japanese, etc. I'm just interested in how other countries/regions did their versions.
Last edited by El Diabeetus on Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:54 pm

I don't think such xenophobic people are buying anime anyways...
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:59 pm

Can't argue with that statement, haha. Although, a decent amount of people around here watched DBZ. As sometimes brought up not everyone sees it as an anime, though it is. But, I don't think ever bought DBZ though, so that only furthers the statement.