Always love referrals...

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:03 am

VegettoEX wrote:
Dayspring wrote:Drama.
Is it really that bad, or is it just a total over-exaggeration?

I lean towards the latter.
The drama isn't in regards to your pointing out the rules so often; it's arising from the fact that you have to, and then the twits' reactions to your doing so and how we get debates in which people try to seem cool by completely agreeing or disagreeing with you for doing so. A friendly warning is one thing, but a lot of the times we go ape-tit because we're all getting fed up.

To everyone else: "MFG?" :?
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:04 am

Xyex wrote:Indeed. I've met a number of the people on MFG who have English as a second language and they'd all fit in here just fine. Eglaya would be a prime example of that. She types in English a lot better than a lot of the native English speakers I've met on the net.
Agreed. Though there has been times she typed SO well that it was...impossible to figure out. I'm sure you've seen what I mean at one point. It's like...an anomoly or paradox or something.
To everyone else: "MFG?"
www.myfavoritegames.com

www.anime.myfavoritegames.com

Mattias
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mattias » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:09 pm

Dayspring wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:
Dayspring wrote:Drama.
Is it really that bad, or is it just a total over-exaggeration?

The drama isn't in regards to your pointing out the rules so often; it's arising from the fact that you have to, and then the twits' reactions to your doing so and how we get debates in which people try to seem cool by completely agreeing or disagreeing with you for doing so. A friendly warning is one thing, but a lot of the times we go ape-tit because we're all getting fed up.
Damn, you're good. You went beyond what I was saying and got it exactly right. Most impressive.

But you are not a jedi, yet. :wink:
[i]"Well, Diane, I'm sure you and your brother are devistated for the two-headed monster that could have been,"[/i] ~ Tom Tucker.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:11 pm

Agreed. Though there has been times she typed SO well that it was...impossible to figure out. I'm sure you've seen what I mean at one point. It's like...an anomoly or paradox or something.
Indeed. It's slowed down my reading of her fics several times but makes no sense what-so-over. Half the time there's not even a typo to be found in those parts, or if there is it's nothing really notable that would cause you to stumble. She's not even using big words like Manic tends to do. :?
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:41 am

Mattias wrote:
Dayspring wrote:
VegettoEX wrote: Is it really that bad, or is it just a total over-exaggeration?

Damn, you're good. You went beyond what I was saying and got it exactly right. Most impressive.

But you are not a jedi, yet. :wink:
That's because I am SITH!!! :twisted:
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:34 am

Xyex wrote:
Indeed. It's slowed down my reading of her fics several times but makes no sense what-so-over. Half the time there's not even a typo to be found in those parts, or if there is it's nothing really notable that would cause you to stumble. She's not even using big words like Manic tends to do. :?
Yeah...you pretty much explained it as best as it can be.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:10 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I would just like to say that I don't care if you (general plural "you", there) find us arrogant or ignorant. If that's the case, you're free to simply keep on truckin' and find another place that you enjoy. We'll be sad to see you go, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. I *would*, however, like to point out that no-one's banned simply for not speaking English as their first language. In fact, those who do not have English as their first language tend to type better English than those who natively speak it (see our forum members languages thread for great examples).

It's those that natively speak English and have an absurd disregard for normal grammatical structure (and hey, curiously, they also tend to be the ones with severe attitude problems) that typically end up getting the boot.
Long after this thread has run its course, I'll take the time to post my thoughts:

I used to frequent a DBZ board or two back in the day, but I stopped when I realized the futility of it all. I found myself radically outnumbered wherever I went . . . not by so-called "foreigners" who get banned out of alleged prejudice, but by flaring tempers, holier-than-thou attitudes and a basic lack of structure and purpose . . . and I don't just mean the way people put their sentences together, either. While some boards were at least navigable, others were utter chaos, and usually because the moderators would allow just about anything to happen.

I haven't frequented any of the boards for a long time . . . and I imagine most of the ones I looked in on are long gone, anyway . . . so I could be speaking out of turn based on past experiences. But said experiences have served to keep me from exploring those different avenues again. I wasn't even sure just how much faith I should put into this board when I found it, though it turns out I was pleasantly surprised in the end for a variety of reasons.

I'm not against Oldboy's board or its members, as I know nothing of them; what irks me is this apparent god-given right a person will sometimes wield to judge a board or its moderator he barely knows anything about. Where the hell did this come from, and when?

As for the issue of grammatical nit-picking . . . who cares? It's just one of the things that someone who signs up here needs to get used to, though I suspect that not everyone can. That doesn't make me a better person than any of them; it just makes me different, makes this community different . . . and of course, it isn't as if you aren't warned at the door of that very fact. Or should EX change the name of his website to "Our Boards Strive to Be Different" for the grammatically impaired?

Someone from another board may look down on us and cry out that this board is elitist or egotistical or evil because of its grammar or rules (or rather, the mere presence of either), but why on earth should it matter to a person who makes the decision not to post here in the first place? It's our place; live and let live. There's a board for everybody, and just because this happens to be the board of choice for some doesn't mean it should be open season on those of us who attend.

I'm not saying that the Dragonball community is comprised of idiots, but somewhere along the line Mike and Julian and everyone else here must have realized that our well-spoken group is a fairly small minority and made the board for that reason. I was twelve once, but that's behind me now; I'm ready to grow up and talk like an adult, and find others who can do the same . . . and now that I've found a place like that, I'm willing to let the moderators be moderators and do as they see fit to maintain the atmosphere of intellect and camaraderie that caught my interest in the first place.

I've only been around for about six months, but from what I've seen EX tries his best to be fair. He isn't a bigot who goes around deleting random people and doesn't go out of his way to make things difficult . . . but even if he did, who said anything about this being a democracy?
VegettoEX wrote:Normally I don't care who says what about us, but when there's something like this where actual Daizenshuu EX forum members are involved, I take slight issue. "Taste your words to make sure they are palatable before speaking."
Heh. Well put!
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:07 pm

Heh, I'm just glad this place isn't like IGN.

Once again returns to posting on the Vestibule.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.