Harmony Gold "Blood Rubies" Restoration

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.
User avatar
Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN
Posts: 763
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:05 pm

Harmony Gold "Blood Rubies" Restoration

Post by Ashura » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:12 pm

As mentioned here, I've been working with a friend on remastering the Harmony Gold Blood Rubies dub: http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopi ... 9&start=80

I've almost completed the project... I've only hit one or two minor snags.

- I need clean versions of the Kintoun sound effects to cover up an audio edit near the end, since the movie cuts off somewhat abruptly in the VHS cap. I've had no luck searching these out.
- I'm curious if there's a higher quality version of the Harmony Gold intro theme than the RM on Temple of Trunks? I used it to restore the missing bit of the song, but the quality is so much lower on the rm that it's slightly noticeable.

Here's a clip of my progress: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeOnRAPjuPM
(Just as a general note, I will not be linking more than clips in the thread.)

For those curious, here's a repost of the complete list of edits:
I'm surprised that the video the kind person with the VHS uploaded worked out and matched up so well, since it only runs at 14fps.

Anyway, that's not the subject of this post. As I did my edit, I wrote down notes to help me keep track of everything I did. It turned out to be a good edit list, so I thought it would be a good thing to share with the community (and it was actually the whole reason I signed up here!) Nothing here is too surprising, and, really, I wonder if everything matches up exactly to the original Funimation Blood Rubies dub? If I were tasked with having to edit this for TV and time, I probably would've made (most) of these same edits. Even still, some of them are a tiny bit bizarre. So let's get started!

The first edit, and I'm not sure if this is an actual edit, but the opening narration is completely gone. I think it's likely that this is cut, since right after Mysterious Adventure plays, they have narration in the dub. So for timing sake, all of the timecodes for these edits begin right at the beginning of Mysterious Adventure.

Mysterious Adventure is some odd conglomeration of scenes. Some scenes are from Devil's Castle, I think? It's also textless, and HG has overlayed a Robotechesque font with the production credits over it. If someone can help me identify exactly what they did here, that would be awesome. As it stands, my cut just uses the actual Japanese intro.

The first confirmed cut in the is 8 minutes, 8 seconds in. Bulma pulls a gun and starts firing on Goku. Goku's shot in the head a bunch of times (and he shakes it off like the little tank he is), and it's quite easy to see why this was edited out of the broadcast. A young teenage girl using a gun? Yeah right.

Image

The second cut is 19 minutes and 59 seconds in. Yamucha encroaches on Goku's personal space and kicks him in the face. 2 or 3 frames of a goofy looking spit-take are cut out (I wonder why? Is this cut from Funimation's first Blood Rubies dub?), followed by slow-mo of Goku's face flying through the air, and then Yamucha clawing at Goku's face. This goes on quite a bit -- somewhat gratuitously in fact -- before he Hadouken-shoves Goku so hard he flies through the air and into a wall. The Harmony Gold edit cuts back in when Goku smashes into a wall, so it looks like Yamucha just swiftly kicks Goku and he goes flying through the air. It's actually pretty seamless, frankly.

The third edit is mere moments later at 20 minutes 10 seconds. Goku gets back up from being smashed into a wall, and uses the Rock Paper Scissor technique on Yamucha, quite brutally poking him in the eyes and dispensing with him. The Harmony Gold edit picks back up where Bulma comes in and uses her even more impressive cootie technique to scare off Yamucha.

The next edit is 28 minutes and 48 seconds in, and it's easy to see this one coming. Bulma has Oolong disguise himself as her so that she doesn't have to show Roshi her bazongas. This backfires in so much that Oolong gets a little too into it. In the Harmony Gold cut, it cuts to Gurumez's men scoping out the situation from afar. In case you were wondering, before Gurumez's goons intervene, in the Harmony Gold dialogue all Roshi asks for is a kiss and not a boobie show.

At 31:50 minutes in, some slow and thoughtful scenes are cut, with scenes of Goku flying around on the Kintoun and Oolong complaining to Bulma while they fly off from Roshi's island. While there's obviously some pausing on the VHS, I'm pretty sure this was just a commercial break, mainly because it fades up during a scene where a seagull is flying in whereas in the original it fades through Master Roshi talking into the same scene with the seagull. (Some frames of the seagull sequence are cut-out due to this.) My only guess as to why this was cut was mainly timing or them figuring kids wouldn't dig the slow scenes since there's really nothing offensive there.

At 32:34 more of Oolong's complaining inside of Bulma's aircraft is cut out; this time he's insulting Bulma's motives for getting the Dragonballs and she's not very amused by him claiming she's only in it for herself and that she'll run off as soon as she gets them. He then asks why she's searching for the Dragonballs, and when she says it's for a boy-toy we cut to a long shot of the plane shaking with Oolong angrily calling Bulma a lamester mcstupidface. Instead of Oolong's eloquence, we cut directly to Gurumez berating his soldiers. I really have no idea why this was cut out. If it wasn't for time, it must've been too-slow a scene for kids.

At 33:56, just after Goku is attacked by Main Baddy #1, scenes of Gurumez's men firing gratuitously at Bulma's airship and they narrowly evade getting shot down are snipped away. They had no problems showing the bullets before, so my guess is this is either a timing thing, or they just weren't comfortable showing this /amount/ of bullets. I'd say timing, if only because at this time in American cartoons (in HG's Robotech, natch), they weren't too worried about showing bullets hitting and destroying inanimate objects, and in fact the scene where the plane is shot down does remain! It just looks like Bulma's plane goes down really easily in the Harmony Gold version, making Capsule Corp.'s equipment seem less reliable to 1980s America's Test Audiences! Such misrepresentation... I wonder if Dr. Briefs would have a good lawsuit against HG due to damaging the image of his fine Capsule Corp. products somewhere in this edit?

At 34:22 there's a rather severe edit to Goku's battle with Henchman #1, though it's easy to see why; The Henchman -- specifically an adult henchman -- takes Goku's face and runs it through a the outside of Gurumez's castle while flying through the air, the remains of bricks flying through the air in their wake. It's quite obvious why they cut this out, especially since they don't establish that Goku's a tough cookie and bullets don't even harm him. You can just imagine the Harmony Gold lawyers thinking 'Kids might try to imitate this and we're reasonably sure their faces won't break the siding off of really old castles.'

A few seconds later, it's way okay for kids to throw adults through the sides of really old castles though, as we see Henchman #1 fall off his hover-thing due to Goku's due diligence!

35 minutes in; Not an edit. Yamucha storming the castle and smashing one of Gurumez's soldiers in the face so hard that it damages the guys teeth. Wow.

35:57; There's a small cut where bullets richocheting repeatedly off of Yamucha's stomache and do absolutely no harm while he sort of freaks out comically. It actually makes the whole scene seem more brutal with the edit; the since the scene plays out with the main henchwoman running up, pulling out a sub machinegun, the gun firing gratuitously, Yamucha getting shot as we cut to a profile shot of him getting blown back into a wall as Bulma and crew run away in terror as Yamucha's body unceremoniously slides down the wall and slumps to the ground is all intact. Maybe that was the point of the edit? To make bullets seem more dangerous? To be honest, speaking from strictly an editor's standpoint, the Harmony Gold cut flows better in this instance.

36:15 Showing Yamucha's shirt with bulletholes through it was a-okay, but during his battle with Henchwoman #1 it's not okay to show him accidentally grabbing her boob and her becoming startled. In the Harmony Gold version, Yamucha is, instead, a hair fetishist we find out. It's not accidentally grabbing mammaries that makes him go numb, no no no no, but merely seeing Henchwoman #1's luxurious flowing hair.

It's either cutely naive, or in a sort of weird and creepy 'I've got a folder on my hard drive named hair, and in it, there are subfolders labeled by color and length' kind of way. I guess we're lucky it wasn't feet?

The funnier thing about this is that in the Harmony Gold version, this scene is immediately followed by Henchwoman #1 going ballistic and throwing grenades at Yamucha repeatedly because he.. GASP ... saw her hair!

Jumping to 39:54, a scene of the Pre-Z-Fighters and Penny looking up at Shen-Long in amazement is cut, as-is some footage of the dragon. Likely for time!

And then at 40:03, a slow panning shot of Penny remembering the hardships the blood rubies have caused her and her village is cut out. Either likely for time or for it being too-slow paced for children.

40:54, a short scene of Penny thanking Shen-Long for his help is cut out. Ungrateful little demonspawn!

The capture we have cuts off at about 42:08... I wouldn't doubt that it actually ends here and cuts to credits. What follows is a scene of people waving to Goku as he flies off, and we segue into I'll Give You Romance. (I'll romance you!!!) The HG ending -- if it's the same as the second movie -- is a still card of Goku in his orange gi on Kintoun over clouds with Mysterious Adventure playing. What is this from? One of the later openings I think? It was used as a VHS cover at one point I believe...

And there you have it.
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5407
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:49 pm

Re: Harmony Gold "Blood Rubies" Restoration

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:19 pm

I apologize if this is an idiotic reason for posting, but did Gokū say, "prepare to meet thy doom" in that clip? He couldn't have said, "my doom" because he was speaking to Bulma. I just find it absurd that Gokū of all people would use an archaism like that.

User avatar
Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN
Posts: 763
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:05 pm

Re: Harmony Gold "Blood Rubies" Restoration

Post by Ashura » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:25 am

He does indeed say that. :) I'm not sure, but I think maybe the Funimation dub does as well. When I get a chance I'm going to compare the edits to both of the films.
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]

User avatar
Soul
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 365
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:34 am
Contact:

Re: Harmony Gold "Blood Rubies" Restoration

Post by Soul » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:12 am

Being a dub from 85!? It doesn't sound to horrible, Goku sounds kinda cute, dorky lines and all.

User avatar
linkdude20002001
I Live Here
Posts: 2613
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:22 pm
Location: Marysville, Washington

Re: Harmony Gold "Blood Rubies" Restoration

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:08 pm

It was actually dubbed in 1989, but I agree that Gokuh's quite cute in this dub. ^.^
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

User avatar
Kunzait_83
I Live Here
Posts: 3046
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:19 pm

Re: Harmony Gold "Blood Rubies" Restoration

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:09 am

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Tue May 03, 2011 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

User avatar
Turtle Marked Stone
Regular
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Harmony Gold "Blood Rubies" Restoration

Post by Turtle Marked Stone » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:47 am

Daizex is on a roll with neat projects recently. Very well done. It's frustrating I'll never get to see the entire movie cleaned up like this with the Harmony Gold dub! :lol:

User avatar
Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN
Posts: 763
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:05 pm

Re: Harmony Gold "Blood Rubies" Restoration

Post by Ashura » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:44 am

Here's a couple more clips I posted in the other thread:

Goku and Oolong meet Yamcha:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcvY7RCuj3g

Oolong and Puar run into each other in Gurumez's castle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsV-0kqP4Mk

I've progressed pretty much to the end of this project. I've actually created custom opening and ending credits to replace the unreplacable Harmony Gold ones:

Image
(Please note, I've fixed the 'By's on the final version.)

The project has ballooned to about 100gb, since I have various uncompressed versions of the movie all over my hard drive.
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN
Posts: 862
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:29 am
Location: West Virginia USA

Re: Harmony Gold "Blood Rubies" Restoration

Post by superrayman3 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:58 am

Ashura wrote: I've progressed pretty much to the end of this project. I've actually created custom opening and ending credits to replace the unreplacable Harmony Gold ones:
Sorry for necroing but I might be able to help with this to a degree. The first thing I'd need is OP 2 from the DBOX release of DB (or an extremely HQ version if a DBOX version doesn't exist) if I can get that I might be able to use image editing software to get rid of the japanese text when goku flies away from shenron and insert the HG credits complete with original font and everything (I plan to do the credits first after that's done i'm going to try my hand at making a textless version of OP 2 and remake the HG opening) let me know if your interested.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

Post Reply