Detail Loss in the Orange Bricks: Not Seeing It

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

thedarkuniter
Beyond Newbie

Re: Detail Loss in the Orange Bricks: Not Seeing It

Post by thedarkuniter » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:24 am

^ Wow, I still stand by what I said in the other thread: the orange bricks definitely have the same colors on the Blu-ray sets and original broadcast. It's a bit oversaturated due to the remastering process, but the deep blues are still there.
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TP2O

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:36 am

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:This is the best way to explain it, vegeta is oversaturated, the picture is too bright, and the colors clash together. It looks horrible!
*snip
That's not from the original broadcast. That's a shot from the delayed broadcast on TV Yamaguchi. They broadcasted the series few weeks later than Fuji TV did.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:51 pm

UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:
Son Satan wrote:
UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:The orange bricks aren't THAT bad. Sure there's some loss of image BUT you have to realize it was meant for HD in the first place.
Except that they were released on DVDs, which can't run in HD. The footage was mastered in 1080p, and then had to be downgraded for DVDs. Not that HD would make the bricks look less shitty.
Buy a 52 inch TV then! Or Perhaps tune up your settings!! Also seasons the later seasons don't have the same grain issue that the earlier season had. Proof
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... zs6n_kcPfA
This looks very good. I don't see this forum's issue with the quality of said season sets :?
What would a larger TV have to do with how those sets were mastered onto disc? I could have a 100 inch OLED HDTV and that still wouldn't change the fact that the disc I popped was encoded onto a DVD, and therefore has a max resolution of 480p. Upscaling it would only make the season sets look worse. You'd need to have a 1080p version of the master for a difference in TV equipment to play a role, and Funimation [thankfully] never released any HD-DVDs or Blu-Rays of that footage. Though, I guess one could buy episodes off of PSN, but are those encoded in 1080p?
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:55 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Though, I guess one could buy episodes off of PSN, but are those encoded in 1080p?
No, they're SD. But, the Trunks and Bardock specials are on BD, so those are likely what the season sets would look like, although the Broly double feature would be closer to the earlier seasons.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:10 am

The Blue Ray looks wonderful! :o
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:17 am

Attitudefan wrote:The Blue Ray looks wonderful! :o
What does? The levels or the movies? The levels I think look absolutely amazing. The movies look...decent.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:07 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:
What does? The levels or the movies? The levels I think look absolutely amazing. The movies look...decent.
Level Sets
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:13 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:
I hope they re-do the movies in similar manner as the level sets. The the movie just did not look good on the BD releases. In the early movies the film scratches were abundant, specially the second film.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:38 pm

Krycek7o2 wrote:
Pokewhiz7 wrote:
I hope they re-do the movies in similar manner as the level sets. The the movie just did not look good on the BD releases. In the early movies the film scratches were abundant, specially the second film.
I agree, but I'm looking forward to a DB/GT blue-ray release than the movies. I just hope the "Digitally Restored" line goes through everything the the Remastered line did.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:50 am

I remember feeling really torn when the DVDs first started getting released. The audio sounded so much better...but the picture was terrible. For me if you watch a version with the Faulconer music, you either get better picture (VHS sadly) or better audio (DVD).
- Scott
http://morganstudios.com

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:27 pm

cRookie_Monster wrote:I remember feeling really torn when the DVDs first started getting released. The audio sounded so much better...but the picture was terrible. For me if you watch a version with the Faulconer music, you either get better picture (VHS sadly) or better audio (DVD).
Or the Blu-rays, the best of both worlds. :wink:
And do you mean the season set DVDs or the original DVDs?

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:21 pm

PhoenixEX wrote:Yeah but it looks pretty bad, it makes the characters look all deformed and just doesn't look great. I guess black bars + great picture is better than no black bars + horrid picture.
The "season" sets are just center cropped. You could have bought the Dragon Box Z sets and set your TV to zoom in, cutting off the top and bottom, but leaving the sides. Poof! 16:9!
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:33 pm

But you would lose those five pixels on each side that FUNimation spent their whole ad campaign bragging about! What would you dooooooo?
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

UnbiasedDBZfan
Banned

Post by UnbiasedDBZfan » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:25 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:But you would lose those five pixels on each side that FUNimation spent their whole ad campaign bragging about! What would you dooooooo?
Is this about the season sets? Then go by season 1 and watch the extras from the last disc. They'll tell you what they did.
Has anyone seen my arm? You can't miss it, it's GREEEEENNNN!! HAHAHHAHAHA!! Funi dub Raditz
'Let's hold off on the trophy Majin Boo!' Brad Swaile as Teen Gohan
http://www.youtube.com/ My channel RenewedTenjin.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:34 am

UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:They'll tell you what they did.
They'll lie to you about what they did.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:25 am

UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:They'll tell you what they did.
Episode 65 of the podcast. That's all I'm gonna say.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

Craddle
Regular

Post by Craddle » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:20 am

UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:But you would lose those five pixels on each side that FUNimation spent their whole ad campaign bragging about! What would you dooooooo?
Is this about the season sets? Then go by season 1 and watch the extras from the last disc. They'll tell you what they did.
Is that a joke or something? Gaffer Tape knows exactly what they did. He was being sarcastic.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:59 pm

kei17 wrote:That's not from the original broadcast. That's a shot from the delayed broadcast on TV Yamaguchi. They broadcasted the series few weeks later than Fuji TV did.
Forgive me for not being completly knowlegable about DBZ broadcast colors but is there really any difference between the TV Yamaguchi version and Fuji TV one other than the channel name also could you upload a comparison shot between the two if there is?
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

GizmoKSX
Beyond Newbie

Post by GizmoKSX » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:12 am

UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:Is this about the season sets? Then go by season 1 and watch the extras from the last disc. They'll tell you what they did.
Do you mean extras like this interview with Steve Franko that you posted earlier in this thread?
UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:The orange bricks aren't THAT bad. Sure there's some loss of image BUT you have to realize it was meant for HD in the first place. If you don't have a HD-TV, then it sucks for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDtGDztMle8
Also listen to this guy you might learn something! Hehe!
...Because I thought you were joking.

When Franko talks about reformatting the show to 16:9 and says that "you're going to see a lot more", that's a big lie. There is a touch of extra footage on the sides, but that pales in comparison to the huge amount of footage cropped off the top and bottom. FUNimation justified the cropping by saying that they wanted to hide film damage, and tried to cover their tracks by saying that you wouldn't notice much of a loss due to overscan.

There's also an infamous clip showing off how much grain was removed during the remastering process. The fine folks right here at Daizenshuu EX analyzed that clip, showing that fake grain was added to the unremastered footage to make it look worse by comparison. That's another reason a lot of us have a problem with the orange bricks on principle; the ad campaign was full of misinformation.
I can see their parachutes.

Kuhan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kuhan » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:57 am

I made this video some months ago about a story involving Facebook streaming videos, but I think it applies here as well.

http://youtu.be/zBsgBLz05Nk
[quote="Masako-kun / MasakoX as Goku"]This is worse than that time I was in high school! And all the guys called me Geeko, and I was Piccolo's slave, and I couldn't get Chi-Chi to like me... Oh wow, I hit that rock harder than I thought.[/quote]
Follow me on twitter! http://www.twitter.com/kuhan