Fan Manga: DBC [Dragonball Continued]

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Fan Manga: DBC [Dragonball Continued]

Post by Bejiita » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:01 pm

Hi people, I'd like to post a manga I started roughly six years ago called DBC, it's a little thing I began and never got the time to finish after chapter 2, I did always say I'd finish it and never did. Apart from not having time I had several issues, such as how I drew body proportions, and how I'd have to revert to the original manga to copy stances and pictures for most panels.

I have improved over six years, and my proportioning of the body parts has improved, but I won't lie, it's not perfect, I still have lots of problems drawing bodies, in fact for each 'well drawn' picture you'll see you can bet there's a scrap bit of A4 lying about my room with the same picture drawn many times on it 'till I got it right! Also (as before) it's still obvious that I'm better at drawing faces than the body, this is because when I doodle I just draw faces and leave out the body, which resulted in this outcome, but it can pass. I really only wanted to re-draw the 2 chapters to compare to my old art (the link is in my sig), like a hobby due to being bored so I don't even know if I'll do chapter 3 yet. Living in London and being 25 is hard right now! Getting a job and such, so time ain't on my side, but I'll try and do what I can but I ain't promising nothing! :mrgreen:

It's not inked, I'm not good with computers so much so it's not as polished as DBMultiiverse, it's a bit in raw fomat, sorry for that, but at the least I've used Paint to put in computer text and also another program to change the contrast and all that stuff.

Anyways, a few things I've changed about the manga before I post it. Firstly, it's all re-done, secondly I'm not copying hardly anything rom the original manga (I say hardly 'cos of the Uub Kamehameha which I kept as I liked it and SSJ3 Goku from the back view), it's now read from right to left, so it really is a manga and not a comic! I've also tried to vary the panels a bit more, as the old manga has a lot of 'talking heads' so I tried to draw more different positions. I have re-drawn all of chapter 1, I just need to sort out the darkness setting for the other pages and I'll post it tomorrow or something.

Enjoy the manga!

It takes place after Z and before GT. Remember it's read right to left!

Last edited by Bejiita on Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Fan Manga: DBC [Dragonball Continued]

Post by funrush » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:52 pm

Wow, this is pretty cool. I'd like to see more of this! :D

Great Saiyaman I
Regular

Post by Great Saiyaman I » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:11 pm

I like it hand-drawn. It makes it unique in comparison to many other DBZ fancomics, which is nice to see. Keep on going! I'd love to see more of this.
-The Great Saiyaman
Herms wrote:
Nex Carnifex wrote:Herms can you translate the whole thing
No.

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:51 pm

Yeah thanks thanks. I've started doing chapter 2 now, I was gonna start on the 3rd but I felt I had to re-do chapter 1 and 2 before doing the 3rd one 'cos it's been that long. It's also true though loads of manga are inked on PC's to give that professional look to it whilst I've just left mine as it is, I just contrast and brighten the image, or use ms paint for a few rubber markings that didn't rub out fully and edit the speech bubbles but that's it. I suppose DB was always drawn in that kind of sketchy newspaper-comic style anyway, when it's inked it's does make the drawings stand out more and futuristic compared to the actual manga.

I'll post more soon.
My DB Fan manga:
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:52 pm

Having Future Trunks and "A New Threat" on the last panel is a bit of a cliche bomb, but if this is six years old I'm not complaining.

I'm definitely liking this style, though, both being hand drawn and that it doesn't like straight Toriyama. That double-layered kamehameha was a great idea; at first I was thinking "Wait, Super Sayain 3 that quickly? How much do you want to taunt the guy, Goku? Oh, wait, you're making sure he doesn't fry you..."
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:04 am

Yeah I know the Future Trunks thing's a bit old but it should build up to the main storyline quite well if it goes to plan, hopefully. It's good that you're liking the style though anyway, thanks.
My DB Fan manga:

Hisham

Post by Hisham » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:33 pm

nice, more more.

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:00 am

Thanks. Soon I'll post chapter 2, just need to finish drawing it and re-wording a lot of it, chapter 2's changes are more than the 1st ones, I didn't seem to explain it very well 5 years back...it should make more sense now.
My DB Fan manga:

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:08 pm

I really like the facial expressions. I'm interested to see where this story will go. This is kind of what I was hoping GT would turn into.

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:14 pm

Thank you. The story should go smoothly. I needed to change some speech in the 2nd chapter as it seems I dug myself a few holes in the original draft, I'm still sticking to the same storyline however, just changed a few parts about how Trunks knows certain information and this and that. The hardest thing's drawing a new enemy that looks decent, I don't just want to take bits 'n bobs off Toriyama's bad guys to create one, but still want to the enemy to retain the feel of the DB-style, this is quite a difficult thing to do. I'll post some more soon.
My DB Fan manga:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:51 am

Nice that you actually start off right after the end of DBZ! I have yet to read it, but I've always wanted an anime that starts with Goku and Uub doing real training and following them for a bit.

goku1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by goku1234 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:38 pm

nice job on the drawing keep up the good work!!

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:42 pm

So you say that it takes place between Z and GT... does that mean you will be trying to not conflict with GT's continuity, or that you plan to ignore it?
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:41 pm

Yeah, @ sangofe, I thought it'd be right to continue from where Z left off, since it's where the manga ended, and I, like many others don't like GT, plus there's not much to go off of GT since it kind of brings the story to a close, unless I were to make a manga based on Goku and Vegeta Jr, that would be fun. And thanks goku1234, I'll keep it up.

@ Kingdom Heartless, it's just based after Z, so I will be ignoring GT, I probably should have mentioned that.

I'll complete drawing chapter 2 before I post it anyway, shouldn't take too long I'm nearly there.
My DB Fan manga:

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:52 pm

In regards to the content of the comic, I actually really like it. You seem to have done a good job keeping Goku in-character, and the art is really good so far, with the fact that it's hand drawn keeping the look of being overly processed away, which is something that I've seen several fan-manga artist suffer with. This way you get much nicer shading and such.
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:23 pm

Thanks, I appreciate how you notice the work I've put in to this. It's important to keep the characters' dialogue authentic regardless of how good or bad the art is so I'll try to keep this up.
My DB Fan manga:

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:44 am

Another thing to add: I'm not big on the name... it just comes across as a little bland to be honest.

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:06 pm

I did think that as well. I couldn't think of a name I suppose. I called it Dragonball Continued because the manga was called just Dragonball by itself, without the 'z' at the end, I guess I didn't spend much thought on the name really. I thought, Dragonball Continued...DBC abbreviated... sounds a bit like DBZ, cool I'll just use that. Some other names I could have ended up using (now I think back) would probably have been 'Dragonball: the next adventure/a new era/the saga continues'...or something else obvious that another DB fan manga is likely to be called...all in all, it's a pretty boring name.
My DB Fan manga:

ChahikoDBZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ChahikoDBZ » Fri May 04, 2012 11:58 pm

DBC has to be one of the best fan-manga I've ever read. Good work. Keep it up. :wink:
(Fanfiction link coming soon.)

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Thu May 24, 2012 7:38 pm

Thank you, much appreciated.

I will update soon I'm just going through some tough times :!:
My DB Fan manga: