Interesting Question.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:45 am

Hey someone else who remembers The Brave Little Toaster! I still love that stupid "Lampy"! :P

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:51 pm

The Brave Little Toaster Goes to Mars was cheap, though.

And thanks for the info, Dayspring! I know where I'll be spending my ration money on for the next couple of weeks. Food and drink is for pussies, anyway.
[url=http://www.projectafter.com]Project AFTER[/url]: Every fanfiction's worst nightmare.

XxShinGokuxX

Post by XxShinGokuxX » Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:58 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:Hey someone else who remembers The Brave Little Toaster! I still love that stupid "Lampy"! :P

OMG lol your bringing back memories lol how could you remember something like that lol that was great. :D

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:05 am

Heh heh, it's funny how we remember our childhoods in terms of the shows we were watching ^_^ Me, I was a fan of the grumpy vacuum (I don't think I ever saw the sequel....just like I saw the Land Before Time a bunch of times but never bothered with the 50 billion crappy sequels). I also remember thinking how cute the little mice in Voltron were ^_^ Man, any more of this nostalgia and I'll have to break out the Beta tapes again!
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:34 am

Hey Sailorspazz, do you remember "Rainbow Brite and the Star Stealer"? It was another one of my favourites as a kid. I know it wasn't anime, but it looked "anime-ish" plus I loved Rainbow Brite. :D Oh, ya and I watched Land Before Time a thousand times over too, and I never saw any of those sequels either.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:01 am

I remember having a bunch of Rainbow Brite cassette tapes and books (you know, turn the page when you hear the chime!) I don't remember if I saw it on TV.

Does anyone remember a show called "The Little Bits"? Thinking back, it might have been an anime, because I remember my brother and me would make fun of the "weird trianglar mouths" the characters had ^_^

Oh no, we're really off topic! Is VegettoEX going to ban us?! :wink:
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:45 am

Ya that's right, we really shouldn't be talking about this. Well let's get back on topic then! This can be addressed to everyone actually. Now that we have said what I first exposyres to anime were, let's talk about what first attracted us to be interested specifically in DBZ. What was it for everyone? :)

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:15 pm

I remember seeing some Saiya-jin saga DBZ episodes in syndication back around 1996, particularly the one where Yamucha dies. It was sort of interesting, but I couldn't really get into it, because I just had no idea what was going on. There were the six good guys, the two bad guys and all their Saibaimen, Gokuu was on his way from the afterlife, plus there was about a dozen people watching at Kame House... :shock: So many characters, all very confusing.

The episode that hooked me in was one of the Freeza reruns in 2000. It was the episode where Porunga is summoned, and Dende cusses. I was very interested in this dragon, and the Dragon Balls themselves. Plus, there were only a few characters to get to know at that point. Vegeta, Gohan, Kuririn, Dende, and Freeza. Freeza seemed like a really cool villain (in spite of his dub voice), and he still is my favorite villain. After Pilaf, of course.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:35 pm

I remember the rainbow bright movie! It was actually VERY dark, and lots of fun at least for a 6 year old it was, its been a LONG time. I was more of a Thundercats kid myself, that and he man.
-Laserkid

Jakez04
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jakez04 » Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:01 pm

The CareBear movies was better than the RainBow bright movie. :D
Da Name is Jakez -ROC Baby!
[url=http://www.geocities.com/dragonfistgt]DragonFistGT![/url]

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:30 pm

I watched Voltron, Robotech, and Star blazers when I was little, though my memories of Voltron are better than the other two. I also watched the kids animes that used to come on Nickelodeon until 1993. DBZ is what really got me into anime though. Also an ironic fact I found out was that Ms. Nozawa was the voice for the main characters in the original Japanese versions of w of those Nickelodeon shows: "Noozles" and "Mysterious Cities of Gold".

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:23 pm

Voltron, Speed Racer, Thundercats, and the Original 80's dub of Dragonball
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:22 pm

Super Sonic wrote:I watched Voltron, Robotech, and Star blazers when I was little, though my memories of Voltron are better than the other two. I also watched the kids animes that used to come on Nickelodeon until 1993. DBZ is what really got me into anime though. Also an ironic fact I found out was that Ms. Nozawa was the voice for the main characters in the original Japanese versions of w of those Nickelodeon shows: "Noozles" and "Mysterious Cities of Gold".
Ya, I used to watch an anime version of Alice in Wonderland when I was a kid and I also later found out that in the original of that show Nozawa Masako was the voice of the White Rabbit. Actually Ms. Nozawa's first role was in the original 60's Astroboy! Isn't that cool?! She's certainly a veteran!

Ramenman

Post by Ramenman » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:29 am

Man, I remember Samurai Pizza Cats! That show was great. Apparently one anime company owns the rights to the show but for whatever reason can't release it on DVD.

Speaking of old shows, did anyone else ever watch Inspector Gadget when they were little? Or how about Count Duckula? Nickeloden used to be so cool...
"It's 3am in Wisconsin. I want a camel. Go get me it."
"Prince...it's 3am in Wisconsin. It's the middle of January. You want a camel. That is neither physically or psychologically possible.”

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:37 am

Okay. If there's one cartoon I want to take EVA Unit O1 to and obliterate all trace of it, it's that damn Inspector Gadget! I HATED that show as a kid and I still HATE that show! I don't know how that bloody thing has manged to still be around. :evil:

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:34 pm

As for Inspector Gadget, it was okay... I never really got into it, but I had no real problems with it either. Nowadays the only american cartoons I watch are ones that weren't intended for / limited to young children, such as Simpsons and South Park.

Spongebob falls under that category, too.

Ramenman

Post by Ramenman » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:47 pm

If there's one cartoon I want to take EVA Unit O1 to and obliterate all trace of it, it's that damn Inspector Gadget!
:shock: Dare I say, "Wowzers?" How about Rocko's Modern Life? You can't go wrong with that show.

Zackarotto: Spongebob can be funny sometimes, but I always thought Invader ZIM was funnier.
"It's 3am in Wisconsin. I want a camel. Go get me it."
"Prince...it's 3am in Wisconsin. It's the middle of January. You want a camel. That is neither physically or psychologically possible.”

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:49 pm

Off-topic vs On-Topic... please remember which it should be ^^.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

BoomerSooner

Post by BoomerSooner » Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:54 pm

My first experience with anime was in 1992 when my older cousin brought over Akira and showed it to my brother and I. We were only 7, and needless to say, it scared the crap out of me. At that age I never dreamed that 'cartoons' could be scary. Although I had no concept of anime at the time...

The tv series that I watched were Thundercats, Voltron, He-Man and Super Friends (does that count?) and Samurai Pizza Cats (completely forgot about that until it was mentioned, heh)

Then I can remember watching DBZ and parts of Sailor Moon in 1996, and my real interest in anime took off from there. ^^

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:02 pm

Your older cousin showed you Akira when you were seven? Christ. Did he follow it up with the Texas Chainsaw Massacre?