FUNimation DBZ TV Blu-ray Official On-Going Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Re: FUNimation DBZ TV Blu-ray Official On-Going Thread

Post by AgitoZ » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:58 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:They misused suspended for cancelled? That's not very professional.
It's incredibly professional. No company is gonna flat out state they're cancelling something. Hell, most don't even give a statement.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:05 pm

They cancelled the release and have suspended remastering to see if they can find another way to do it. It's always been that way since the initial press release. That's what people have been trying to get across.

I think poor Marc has probably had an aneurysm by now.
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:40 pm

Amazon now has:
Currently unavailable.
Maybe Amazon has some hope FUNi'll release the sets before the date.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:01 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Amazon now has:
Currently unavailable.
Maybe Amazon has some hope FUNi'll release the sets before the date.
Why? They always use that for discontinued listings.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:16 pm

I wonder what happened with their original process of putting DBZ on Blu-Ray...

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:22 pm

dprez wrote:I wonder what happened with their original process of putting DBZ on Blu-Ray...
Anyone have the original links FUNI used interviewing people regarding how the process was done? I wonder how far along they got into it.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

dprez
Advanced Regular

Post by dprez » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:27 pm

A google search may lead me to the answer...

Son Geeko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Geeko » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:27 am

ect5150 wrote:Anyone have the original links FUNI used interviewing people regarding how the process was done? I wonder how far along they got into it.
Here, this should help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csTc7LsxNM0&list

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:59 am

Son Geeko wrote:
ect5150 wrote:Anyone have the original links FUNI used interviewing people regarding how the process was done? I wonder how far along they got into it.
Here, this should help:

When I saw Steve Franko the first words that came out of my mouth were "Oh hell not you again" but other than that the rest of the feature was cool.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:02 am

I've been meaning to say this for a while, but I assumed I'd have pitchforks thrown at me.

Franko may just have been the scapegoat; I wonder how much of what he did he was flat out told to do? He seems perfectly capable of telecining and color correcting the footage he's gotten at the very least. It's the further processes which went awry, so I wonder what the exact deal was.

I mean, if Funimation told him, we want this to have the bold colors and flat look of a new cartoon, he sorta got that... at the expense of the detail.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:26 am

Ashura wrote:I've been meaning to say this for a while, but I assumed I'd have pitchforks thrown at me.

Franko may just have been the scapegoat; I wonder how much of what he did he was flat out told to do? He seems perfectly capable of telecining and color correcting the footage he's gotten at the very least. It's the further processes which went awry, so I wonder what the exact deal was.

I mean, if Funimation told him, we want this to have the bold colors and flat look of a new cartoon, he sorta got that... at the expense of the detail.
General evidence suggests Franko wasn't scapegoated, he was just the most easily blameable by fans.

I think the thing that most points to it not necessarily being his fault is...

When Funi's main encoding guy left and was replaced by someone else, all of Funi's DVDs magically got much better quality wise, orange bricks included.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:35 am

I'm generally impressed by the guy who's (I think?) currently in charge of encoding/authoring. He seemed very knowledgeable in interviews, so I sort of bet you're right. I was extremely surprised just how much I was agreeing with him on his stances on stuff, and their disks are some of the best ones now.
Last edited by Ashura on Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:15 am

"Steve's Transfer" looked fantastic much better than the actual final version on the orange bricks, so this is a possibility of Franko's Transfer coming to Blu-ray.

It'd be better the original FUNimation team who was remastering, but the footage of Franko's transfer looked really good to me.

I have to say, the moment I saw him it brought awful memories of his orange bricks' remaster.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:28 pm

Son Geeko wrote:
Here, this should help:

Amazing how Franko knows just as much about grain as anyone in the Restoration business should (Not like I can talk, I learned about all this thanks to Dragon Ball), but he was ordered just a few years earlier to wipe it off the same series. Do we know who decided on the route the Orange Bricks took?

Everything else sounds about right, from what I understand. It is funny hearing Funi use the same sort of hype marketing five years later, with a single actual tech detail (6 times the resolution of DVD). Zenkai power at the end for a touch of "class".
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:39 pm

Ashura wrote:I've been meaning to say this for a while, but I assumed I'd have pitchforks thrown at me.

After I saw that video, I thought the same thing. Maybe the problems with the orange bricks weren't entirely his fault.

If they don't outright cancel everything, I'm betting they remove the frame-by-frame pass as it's most likely the most costly part of it all.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

Android 50
Beyond Newbie

Post by Android 50 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:19 pm

Off topic but am i the only one who had a hard time staring directly at the screen during the blu-ray version of the kamehameha vs galick ho power struggle? I never had this problem before and i don't have a history of seizures from looking at flashy lights. But looking at that episode full screen on my laptop kinda fucked me up.
Maron is stacked!!

Corpsecreate
Beyond Newbie

Post by Corpsecreate » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:32 am

I just hope someone, either Toei or Funimation end up completing the full series on blu-ray. The visual quality really is amazing and is a lot better than the dragon boxes if you actually compare them side by side.

CyberpunkCentral
Not-So-Newbie

Post by CyberpunkCentral » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:33 am

I wonder if Toei is indeed planning on remastering the series on Blu-ray themselves? Not sure if they'll do a perfect job on it though, but it's better than nothing.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:52 am

Corpsecreate wrote:I just hope someone, either Toei or Funimation end up completing the full series on blu-ray. The visual quality really is amazing and is a lot better than the dragon boxes if you actually compare them side by side.

*snips*
That shot from the DBox is awkwardly blurred. Here's a proper shot:

And a colour-corrected one I made for some reason:

Corpsecreate
Beyond Newbie

Post by Corpsecreate » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:18 pm

My pics had a 16-235 remap applied to them...maybe that made it appear a little more blurry (though it really shouldnt)? I really dont know what else could have caused it.

Edit: Nope its not that. Its not a problem with my screen capture either because even comparing your picture with my video in MPC yours still looks sharper. Are you sure you dont have any post-process sharpening applied to that image when it was taken from your player? I dont know what else it could be.

Edit2: I just tried playing it in VLC and now the image looks as sharp as yours...interesting.