Episode #0005 (18 December 2005)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:48 pm

Socar15 wrote:Does anyone remember if they used a dual voice for KabitoKai (or Kibitoshin or whatever his name is) in the Japanese version or if they just used the same voice as Shin's like in the dub?
Not at all. That might be why his Japanese name remained "Kaioshin"...
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

SDHero
Beyond Newbie

Post by SDHero » Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:18 am

It's a sheer oddity in the DB world that the fusing of Kibito and Kaioshin produces no dual voice. The dual-voice was well established by that point because of Gotenks, so there's no logical reason for some other fusion not to have that voice-type. Nevertheless, I imagine Kaioshin's voice remains the same for logistical reasons, he has to talk wayyyy too much for either Toei or Funimation to want to do an overlayed dual performance for the rest of the series. Gotenks and Vegito were both short-term characters, so it posed less of a long-term annoyance.

Plus, let's be fair, besides being taller and having more hair, Kaioshin behaves like Kaioshin before and after the fusion. And he somehow loses Kibito's cool healing ability...what a gyp!
SJ Dragonball Graphic Novel, Volume 9, page 60. That is all.

Socar15
Beyond Newbie

Post by Socar15 » Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:39 am

The only thing I could ever think of to explain it was that perhaps since the Patorra (sp?) fusion was created by the Kaioushin's, that whenever they use it, it creates a more "whole" individual and thus no dual voice; just like if the Natamoru (I think that was their name) people that Goku met in the afterlife used the fusion dance, they too would have no dual voice (that's the only theory I can come up with anyway).

But yeah, it kinda sucks that all the Kibito-Shin fusion seemed to be was just a power upgrade for Shin (other than the change in appearance). And I'm not sure about the healing thing. I don't remember about the anime, but in the manga I don't believe Shin ever said he couldn't use it, he just never offered since Dende was there. Seems odd that he would lose that ability, while retaining Kibito's teleportation technique.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:12 pm

Also note that when Kibitoshin talks about Kaiôshin's past, he uses "watashi" (I), while the other fusions seem to think of themselves as totally different people. I think Toriyama just wanted to get rid of Kibito!

WhatTheDarn
Not-So-Newbie

Post by WhatTheDarn » Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:29 am

Hmm... it seems to me that Kibito was kind of "absorbed" into Kaiôshin rather than fusing with him. Kibito is his assistant, right? So who's to say Kaiôshin didn't create him himself? Maybe Kibito was kind of an extension of Kaiôshin. Except this doesn't explain the witch and what's-his-face. Maybe they just didn't have enough willpower to maintain a surface personality. Or something.

Socar15
Beyond Newbie

Post by Socar15 » Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:06 am

WhatTheDarn wrote:Hmm... it seems to me that Kibito was kind of "absorbed" into Kaiôshin rather than fusing with him. Kibito is his assistant, right? So who's to say Kaiôshin didn't create him himself? Maybe Kibito was kind of an extension of Kaiôshin. Except this doesn't explain the witch and what's-his-face. Maybe they just didn't have enough willpower to maintain a surface personality. Or something.
The whole mystery of the Kaiôshins is pretty complicated. It was mentioned that East Kaiôshin was the “youngest” of the Kaiôshins, which implies that they are born, created or whatever at different times. They can obviously die (though where they go after that is a mystery (though when Rou Dai Kaiôshin took his own life, he stayed right where he was during that time)). And apparently they have limited life spans since Rou Dai Kaiôshin mentioned that he only had about a thousand years left to live (though this could be simply the result of his fusion with that witch). Anyway, one possible theory, is that the Kaiôshins are the result of reincarnation, in that they are the stage in which those souls that have lived particularly high moral lives (other than fighters such as Goku who get to train in the afterlife) get to enter. This is possibly the stage directly before “Nirvana” (or whatever it is I’m driving at). But yeah, I’m not really sure where Kibito fits into the scheme of things. If he were an extension of East Kaiôshin, than I wonder why he didn’t have the teleportation or healing ability instead of just Kibito having it. And I would agree that since the witch is outside of all this, that’s probably why Rou Dai Kaiôshins fusion ended up differently.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:13 pm

Socar15 wrote:But yeah, I’m not really sure where Kibito fits into the scheme of things. If he were an extension of East Kaiôshin, than I wonder why he didn’t have the teleportation or healing ability instead of just Kibito having it. And I would agree that since the witch is outside of all this, that’s probably why Rou Dai Kaiôshins fusion ended up differently.
Kibito just screws things up more; he's a member of the Kaioshin race, but not an actual Kaioshin. This, along with the fact that Rou Kaioshin was replaced, would indicate that Kaioshins can be succeeded, but for some reason the East Kaioshin never took Dai Kaioshin's spot when he was the only one left nor ever appointed four new regular ones.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Socar15
Beyond Newbie

Post by Socar15 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:27 pm

Dayspring wrote:but for some reason the East Kaioshin never took Dai Kaioshin's spot when he was the only one left nor ever appointed four new regular ones.
It could be because up until they had encountered Buu, no Kaioushin had actually been killed. And considering how long they apparently live, it may take a VERY long time for a new Kaioushin to "appear" (or whatever) to succeed a previous one.