AT's income from Dragon Ball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

peter291
Not-So-Newbie

AT's income from Dragon Ball

Post by peter291 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:32 am

I'm interested how profitable Dragon Ball was/is for Akira Toriyama.

As far as I know, AT was creating one chapter of the manga once a week. He didn't have any other job, right? Did he make a good salary from drawing the manga?
Then we had anime, movies etc. Did all this staff bring income to Toriyama?

Does he still make money from Dragon Ball, nowadays? For example, if a new DB game is introduced, does it mean some cash for AT from copyright?

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Re: AT's income from Dragon Ball

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:50 am

Everything I see has Toriyama's name in copyright section. So, I guess he's still making money from all these products, right?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:30 am

Typically, manga artists are paid by the page, and get residuals from volume sales. It's also reasonable to believe he's getting a cut of merchandise(anime, games, toys, shirts, frying pans, etc.). Not sure if he sees overseas sales, though.

Just judging from manga sales alone, I would say he's pretty well off. It's the second best-selling series of all time.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:09 pm

Won't most of the money that people buy in Japan go to Shueisha? Seeing that Akira Toriyama has not been apart of the series for a long time, I would imagine that he does not get that much off of the series. I'm pretty sure the oversea sales goes to the company that is the distributed of the manga in the country. I'm pretty sure most of the Manga sales in the US would go to Viz.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:04 pm

peter291 wrote:He didn't have any other job, right?
Actually, he did. He drew some one-shots during Dragon Ball's run, and he did character designs for some video games during that time, too.
-Rachel

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:07 pm

B wrote:Typically, manga artists are paid by the page, and get residuals from volume sales. It's also reasonable to believe he's getting a cut of merchandise(anime, games, toys, shirts, frying pans, etc.). Not sure if he sees overseas sales, though.

Just judging from manga sales alone, I would say he's pretty well off. It's the second best-selling series of all time.
Knowing Toei, I expect they actually threat the original authors of their copyrighted material worst than recorders threat musicians.

Corporate_Nothing
Beyond Newbie

Post by Corporate_Nothing » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:41 pm

Fox666 wrote:
B wrote:Typically, manga artists are paid by the page, and get residuals from volume sales. It's also reasonable to believe he's getting a cut of merchandise(anime, games, toys, shirts, frying pans, etc.). Not sure if he sees overseas sales, though.

Knowing Toei, I expect they actually threat the original authors of their copyrighted material worst than recorders threat musicians.
Treat*. I don't mean to police your grammar, but the intended meaning of your post is completely lost otherwise.

However, Toei Animation has nothing to do with the manga itself - Shueisha published the manga.
It's been done countless times before, but...
ImmaDMCA

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:47 pm

They have licensed Dragon Ball frying pans?
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:59 pm

Saiga wrote:They have licensed Dragon Ball frying pans?
Yup.

You must seriously doubt the amount and variety of merchandise there is for the franchise.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:02 am

AgitoZ wrote:
Saiga wrote:They have licensed Dragon Ball frying pans?
Yup.

You must seriously doubt the amount and variety of merchandise there is for the franchise.
That is seriously cool.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:05 am

AgitoZ wrote:
Saiga wrote:You must seriously doubt the amount and variety of merchandise there is for the franchise.
That is seriously cool.
Without trying to sound even the tiniest bit racist, that is Japan for you. lol They've probably already made any obscure product you could possibly want, anything to make a buck off of the franchise.

Personally, I want Piccolo's rice cooker they had a while back. lol
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Corporate_Nothing
Beyond Newbie

Post by Corporate_Nothing » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:05 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
AgitoZ wrote:
Saiga wrote:You must seriously doubt the amount and variety of merchandise there is for the franchise.
That is seriously cool.
Without trying to sound even the tiniest bit racist, that is Japan for you. lol They've probably already made any obscure product you could possibly want, anything to make a buck off of the franchise.

Personally, I want Piccolo's rice cooker they had a while back. lol
I had to.
Last edited by Corporate_Nothing on Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImmaDMCA

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:39 am

Not only do I want those frying pans, but now I'm hungry. :(

TRL
Beyond Newbie

Post by TRL » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:24 pm

Dragonball has probably generated a lot more money than one man can spend in his entire life.

But still I find it kind of sad that Toriyama probably sees only a small percent of all that generated wealth that wouldn't be there without his original manga.

Corporate_Nothing
Beyond Newbie

Post by Corporate_Nothing » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:53 pm

TRL wrote:Dragonball has probably generated a lot more money than one man can spend in his entire life.

But still I find it kind of sad that Toriyama probably sees only a small percent of all that generated wealth that wouldn't be there without his original manga.
True, but all of that generated wealth wouldn't be there in the first place if Shueisha, Toei, Namco Bandai, et al. didn't employ all of their limited time and resources into blowing up Dragon Ball into the enormous worldwide franchise that it is today. It goes both ways. Toriyama didn't work the printing presses at Weekly Shonen Jump; he didn't animate the anime; he didn't develop the video games, or mold the frying pans for that matter; he didn't negotiate the terms to have Funimation and Viz license the anime and manga (respectively) in North America, etc.
Last edited by Corporate_Nothing on Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImmaDMCA

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:03 pm

I don't really see or care about the issue. lol The man is obviously doing well enough from DB's success. I mean, he isn't struggling to try to get another long running hit manga in Jump so that he can pay his bills. These days, he basically just seems to do art for videogames (Dragon Ball Online, Blue Dragon, Dragon Quest, etc.) and the occasional one-shot (Kintoki).
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

TRL
Beyond Newbie

Post by TRL » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:19 pm

Yeah I'm sure he doesn't need the money. Still it's something to think about. Like how the heads of jump magazine and shueisha probably saw more of that wealth coming their way just by riding the back of the creative man. It just seems unfair to me.

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:29 pm

I'm afraid that's how the business works. Somebody gives ideas and abilities and others provide him the possibility to polish and publish that for the lion share of the hypothetical incomes. Also they gave many things from their side risking that they would never see a yen for that- editing, proof-reading, whole business with printing, selling and advertising- you expected them to work pro publico bono?
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

TRL
Beyond Newbie

Post by TRL » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:41 pm

No ofcourse not. You're right. Just when you think about it, it doesn't make much sense.

Another thought though, by the time Toriyama was discussing his percentage on Dragonball merchandise and publishing, he had already done something called Dr. Slump. So he might have been able to bring some valid points to the negotiation table.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:43 pm

It's over $9000 for sure. :wink:

Toriyama's likely one of the richer, if not in the class of richest manga authors. He had two huge series in Dr. Slump, and Dragon Ball as well as a bunch of work on Dragon Quest, and others. At this point it's clear that whenever he does a one-shot or something he's doing it either as a favour, or just an artistic relief.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.