Overrated use of the words "damn", "hell" and "bastard".

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Overrated use of the words "damn", "hell" and "bastard".

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:45 pm

Well, damn, I was shocked and impressed by how many times FUNimation used these three profane words so repetitively.

ImmaKai1's Collection of the Damns, Hells and Bastards in FUNi's Kai: http://youtu.be/TnaPKXW-ng4

Since they've used these cussing words, why didn't they go the extra kilometre and use: "shit" "fuck" "prick" "asshole" "cunt" "twat" "tryhard" "fag" "cocksucker", etc, this way Kai would be rated 15+ but the profane words wouldn't sound so repetitive with more variety.

The use of offensive words is actually pretty crazy, imo, either, they should've not used or used a big variety.

TFS DBZA exists so an English alternative, but I'm still waiting for Ocean Kai.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Re: Overrated use of the words "damn", "hell" and "bastard".

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:57 pm

FUNimation didn't use those words because the original Japanese version didn't use those words. FUNimation has no problem with swear words, and if you don't believe me feel free to watch their dub of "Speed Grapher." In any event, why insert swear words when they weren't originally there? Then they just wouldn't serve a purpose. A practice like that is not very common in anime dubs, but one of the few dubs to do that would be the English dub of an anime called "Cybercity Oedo 808," which purposefully intensified the swearing because the dubbing company was attempting to appeal to an older audience.

Actually, though...now that I'm thinking about it, I believe the German dub of DBZ inserted a lot of previously non-existent swearing, but I could be wrong.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:03 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Since they've used these cussing words, why didn't they go the extra kilometre and use: "shit" "fuck" "prick" "asshole" "cunt" "twat" "tryhard" "fag" "cocksucker", etc, this way Kai would be rated 15+ but the profane words wouldn't sound so repetitive with more variety.
I'm assuming you're a foreigner, so I'll explain. DB isn't really adult. And the words you mentioned can't be said on US TV with a few shows' exceptions, minus the word "fag" but that can't be said due to political correctness. And what works for Shin Chan might not work for DB.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:13 pm

Super Sonic wrote:I'm assuming you're a foreigner, so I'll explain. DB isn't really adult. And the words you mentioned can't be said on US TV with a few shows' exceptions, minus the word "fag" but that can't be said due to political correctness. And what works for Shin Chan might not work for DB.
I wasn't talking about the TV-VERSION, the TVV uses "darn it" for example, that was for the uncut dub.

Fag also means cigarette, not just homosexual.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:14 pm

Didn't Guldo yell out "Shiiiiit!" before he activated his Mind Paralysis Technique?

And honestly, Damn, Hell, Bastard, Piss and Shit are all that's really needed. Anymore would seem overkill.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:32 pm

Super Sonic wrote:I'm assuming you're a foreigner, so I'll explain. DB isn't really adult. And the words you mentioned can't be said on US TV with a few shows' exceptions, minus the word "fag" but that can't be said due to political correctness. And what works for Shin Chan might not work for DB.
Yeah, if DB characters called each other "fag" as a general insult, FUNimation would be risking an uproar from the gay community and other civil rights proponents.

And the other words are really adult and profane compared to "damn" and "bastard." Even uncut DB is still a kids show, so it would sound ridiculous to hear "fuck" and "shit" thrown around all the time. (Though there are a few instances where I think they'd be appropriate, like Namek exploding, or Gokuu's final attack against Kid Boo.)
dbboxkaifan wrote:Fag also means cigarette, not just homosexual.
It can mean a lot of things, but "homosexual" is really the only meaning for it when it's used as an insult.
-Rachel

Corporate_Nothing
Beyond Newbie

Post by Corporate_Nothing » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:04 pm

If they say kuso/chikuso, jigoku (maybe there are other forms of "hell" used as well, I really don't know), and kisama in the original Japanese script, then why wouldn't they say damn/shit, hell, and bastard in the English dub for Kai, as opposed to other more severe/profane words? If it's there in the original script, use it, if it's not, don't. There really is no room for argument here.
It's been done countless times before, but...
ImmaDMCA

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:14 pm

Kuso and chikusho are not strong curse words. Even though they literally mean "shit", they are used more in the context of "darn" rather than "damn" or "shit".

Kisama does not mean "bastard". It is simply a very informal way of addressing someone (in other words, a rude way of saying the second-person pronoun "you").

Jigoku is not a swear word at all. It is "hell", but it is not used as a swear word. For translating "what the hell" into Japanese, it would be something along the lines of "ittai nani" or something along those lines, even though that phrase does not literally translate to "what the hell".

So using the Japanese script as a guide for FUNimation to insert curse words doesn't really work all that well in terms of literal translation.
So mondo lame.

Corporate_Nothing
Beyond Newbie

Post by Corporate_Nothing » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:17 pm

GotenDaisuki wrote:Kuso and chikusho are not strong curse words. Even though they literally mean "shit", they are used more in the context of "darn" rather than "damn" or "shit".

Kisama does not mean "bastard". It is simply a very informal way of addressing someone (in other words, a rude way of saying the second-person pronoun "you").

Jigoku is not a swear word at all. It is "hell", but it is not used as a swear word. For translating "what the hell" into Japanese, it would be something along the lines of "ittai nani" or something along those lines, even though that phrase does not literally translate to "what the hell".

So using the Japanese script as a guide for FUNimation to insert curse words doesn't really work all that well in terms of literal translation.
Thank you for the clarification.
It's been done countless times before, but...
ImmaDMCA

medvedenko2009

Post by medvedenko2009 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:45 pm

I remember i watched an episode in Japaneese (with subs) and they kept saying "Damn it to hell" lol, it seemed like they tried too hard to add some cursing.

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:47 pm

I think there was an instance where they did translate Vegeta screaming a "chikushou" at the top of his lungs as "Damn it to Hell", which is not a very good translation. At all. I think it was done to show Vegeta was pissed off to a great extent.
So mondo lame.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:53 pm

GotenDaisuki wrote:I think there was an instance where they did translate Vegeta screaming a "chikushou" at the top of his lungs as "Damn it to Hell", which is not a very good translation. At all. I think it was done to show Vegeta was pissed off to a great extent.
How so? I thought that was a perfectly valid translation. In fact, Simmons translated Goku's "chikushou" when Namek exploded was to the very same thing.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:56 pm

"Damn it to Hell" isn't a good translation because it is too strong and profane compared to "chikushou". In the scene I described it would be acceptable to translate it to "damn (it)", but "damn it to hell" is a little too much for a word that isn't even used in a strong context very often.
So mondo lame.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:19 pm

They should use "damn", "hell", "bastard", "cunt", "piss", and "shit".
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:36 pm

They did use "piss" on Z. And "cunt" is too strong of a word to use even for foul-mouths in the States anyways.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:57 pm

I think we needed at least "damn". It always bothered me when someone would be in a dire situation and say "darn it". It seemed very unnatural. I think "damn", "hell", and "bastard" are right on that fine line of being a curse. Anything over that like, "shit" or "fuck" would also sound very unnatural so, there is sort of a balance there.

Yes, I know Guldo said "shit" once. But, one time in 98 episodes seem fine.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:06 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:I think we needed at least "damn". It always bothered me when someone would be in a dire situation and say "darn it". It seemed very unnatural. I think "damn", "hell", and "bastard" are right on that fine line of being a curse. Anything over that like, "shit" or "fuck" would also sound very unnatural so, there is sort of a balance there.

Well to me, it didn't sound like Ghurd said "shit" but "shiiii time to bust out my weapon!".
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:42 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:I think we needed at least "damn". It always bothered me when someone would be in a dire situation and say "darn it". It seemed very unnatural. I think "damn", "hell", and "bastard" are right on that fine line of being a curse. Anything over that like, "shit" or "fuck" would also sound very unnatural so, there is sort of a balance there.

Well to me, it didn't sound like Ghurd said "shit" but "shiiii time to bust out my weapon!".
Well, he did. Damn, they do say damn or dammit a lot.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:12 am

GotenDaisuki wrote:Kisama does not mean "bastard". It is simply a very informal way of addressing someone (in other words, a rude way of saying the second-person pronoun "you").
Actually, kisama is VERY formal. It's only ever used in a sarcastic manner, though.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Shoryuken
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shoryuken » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:17 am

If I am not much mistaken then chikushō (畜生), literally meaning "beast" or "livestock", was originally a term in Buddhism referring to people getting reincarnated as various animals due to having bad karma, being part of the Rikudōrinne (六道輪廻 Six Paths of Samsara).
これはシグネチャではない
Personal blog - myriadleaves.eu