The hype over Ocean Dub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

The hype over Ocean Dub

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Tue May 29, 2012 6:26 pm

I don't see it, or get it. Brian Drummond makes Vegeta sound like an imp-villain. He reminds me of that Bones character from Yugioh. I sorta like the Goku's (Corrlet/Kelamis/whoever else), except when sounded like a surfer dude. What I hear from fans of the Ocean dub, the acting quality is better. I feel a lot more emotion from the Ocean cast, it's a good performance, but....the voices themselves (most not all) are pretty bad. The only voice I thought did a good job was Recoome's VA. Also this isn't to say other English dubs are any better, I don't want this to turn into another Funimation in-house vs. Ocean debate....

Serious thoughts people.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Re: The hype over Ocean Dub

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue May 29, 2012 6:34 pm

The vocal performance was excellent until post-episode 53 and worsen as it went along, which was when FUNimation in-house took over for the US and we all know what intially came out of that. Let's just say it's a nightmare to you.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Tue May 29, 2012 6:50 pm

Thing about the Ocean cast, was you could tell they were actors. Not librarians, before taking the roles of the characters.
Drummond's Vegeta sounded a lot more prideful and cocky, I thought, not some 'Imp'. Also, there wasn't a stupid amount of rasp everywhere.
Kelamis was my favourite though, especially in the movies. What a fantastic replacement for Nozawa, channelled her perfectly.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue May 29, 2012 7:06 pm

I am a huge Ocean fan and I really don't find that there is any Hype over it. What I see is that there are a lot of Ocean Fans in Europe, Canada and a a bit in the U.S. And then FUNimation fans in the U.S, maybe a bit in Canada and some of Europe and Australia. Then the flame wars start.

Of course there are those who like both.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue May 29, 2012 7:06 pm

Rabid Ocean fans are delusional. They seem to forget that the Ocean days were the same days of "the next dimension", "Your father was a brilliant scientist", and just terrible voices and acting from the VAs for more than half the cast. And the dub of the later seasons was even worse at times, with a few exceptions (Brad Swaile did well as older Gohan). Especially with the laziness of recycling Mega Man cartoon music. At least the Faulconer music was produced specially for the show.

I do have a certain fondness for Peter Kelamis, Scott McNeil, Brian Drummond, and Saffron Henderson, but for the most part, the VAs were terrible.

Now, the Funimation dub of Z is pretty awful, but Ocean didn't really do it any better. But maybe they'll redeem themselves with that Kai dub nobody knows when is coming.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue May 29, 2012 7:11 pm

penguintruth wrote:Rabid Ocean fans are delusional. They seem to forget that the Ocean days were the same days of "the next dimension", "Your father was a brilliant scientist", and just terrible voices and acting from the VAs for more than half the cast. And the dub of the later seasons were even worse at times, with a few exceptions (Brad Swaile did well as older Gohan).

I do have a certain fondness for Peter Kelamis, Scott McNeil, Brian Drummond, and Saffron Henderson, but for the most part, the VAs were terrible.

Now, the Funimation dub of Z is pretty awful, but Ocean didn't really do it any better.
I really have no problem with the next dimension and it's a lot better than if he would say "I will destroy you". Of course "Your father was a brilliant scientist" is just plain wrong. You really got to take certain aspects with what was "acceptable" during that time. Many people just took it for what it was because the Japanese version was not around and that meant there was more freedom (if you will) when dubbing. But I really have no problem if you're not a huge fan of the VAs. ^^ I personally like them and sometimes it's hard to decide if I like them better than the Japanese VA's.
Last edited by eledoremassis02 on Tue May 29, 2012 7:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue May 29, 2012 7:13 pm

penguintruth wrote:Rabid Ocean fans are delusional. They seem to forget that the Ocean days were the same days of "the next dimension", "Your father was a brilliant scientist", and just terrible voices and acting from the VAs for more than half the cast. Especially with the laziness of recycling Mega Man cartoon music. At least the Faulconer music was produced specially for the show.
Considering that Ocean is just the collective name of the voice cast, it's unfair to fault them for line changes or music choice. That would be like blaming Sean Schemmel for "I am the hope of the universe" when he just got paid to say it, not write it. It's FUNimation who's just as responsible for "brilliant scientist" as "ally to good."
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Son Satan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Satan » Tue May 29, 2012 7:19 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote: Considering that Ocean is just the collective name of the voice cast, it's unfair to fault them for line changes or music choice. That would be like blaming Sean Schemmel for "I am the hope of the universe" when he just got paid to say it, not write it. It's FUNimation who's just as responsible for "brilliant scientist" as "ally to good."
I think what penguintruth is really trying to say that the dub writing was at some of it's wildest and most botched in the early days with the Ocean cast.
DanielGClapp wrote:Every time my dad sees anything anime, he always say "When are these goddam Japs gonna learn how to draw?".

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue May 29, 2012 7:20 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
penguintruth wrote:Rabid Ocean fans are delusional. They seem to forget that the Ocean days were the same days of "the next dimension", "Your father was a brilliant scientist", and just terrible voices and acting from the VAs for more than half the cast. Especially with the laziness of recycling Mega Man cartoon music. At least the Faulconer music was produced specially for the show.
Considering that Ocean is just the collective name of the voice cast, it's unfair to fault them for line changes or music choice. That would be like blaming Sean Schemmel for "I am the hope of the universe" when he just got paid to say it, not write it. It's FUNimation who's just as responsible for "brilliant scientist" as "ally to good."
I don't think he's saying Ocean was responsible for all of those alterations. It seemed to me that he was speaking of the product as a whole, which the Ocean cast provided the voices for (as most people do), considering he said "the ocean days", which would refer to the dub around the time period Ocean was providing the voices.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue May 29, 2012 7:51 pm

Yeah, I guess I was just commenting on the overall quality of the dub in that time.

If we're going merely by voice acting, it's still not great.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Tue May 29, 2012 8:05 pm

I guess when it comes down too it, the only impression I have of Ocean is from way back in the day, and it isn't fair to compare it to anything Funimation is doing now. If it's more accurate and less 4Kids-ish (I don't know why, when I think Ocean I think 4kids) than it was back then with Toonami, Ocean version of Kai probably isn't a bad idea like I originally thought.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue May 29, 2012 8:21 pm

Well, I'd think of the ocean movies in that regard. And they seemed to be likes by both sides and considered to be the most "faithful" ^^

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue May 29, 2012 8:29 pm

As others are hinting at, any time you mention "Ocean" with regard to Dragon Ball Z, you really have to further clarify. Do you mean:

1) The original 1996-1998 dub of the first 53 edited English episodes of Dragon Ball Z as produced by FUNimation
2) The 1998-1999 English dubs of the first three Dragon Ball Z movies as produced by FUNimation and Pioneer
3) The ~2001ish(?) "alternate" English dub of Dragon Ball Z produced primarily for the UK market spanning Androids -> end of series

...?

I know I sound like a broken record when I mention that stuff, but I just saw a conversation on another forum just today where someone explained how their mind was blown and they had to go punch their friends in the faces for insisting for so many years that 1996-1998 had nothing to do with FUNimation what-so-ever (with links back to Kanzenshuu, which is how I found it all :P).

As others have quasi-mentioned here in this thread and plenty in other threads, a lot of it has to do with the voice selection, sure... but a ton more had to do with the voice direction. Look at some of the casting and especially look at some of the performances they pulled out of that cast for the three movies. They're consistently looked at and pointed to as some of the best-produced "English" DBZ to this day, and even hardcore FUNimation-in-house-cast fans will typically concede to that.

And yet that was the same cast (more or less) that did the 53 episodes, and many of which went on to do the "alternate" English dub for the rest of the series. How on Earth it's possible to get a bad performance out of Scott McNeil is beyond me, but gosh darn it, they did it! A lot of it was rushed production, over-exertion, poor multi-casting ("Hey, do this other voice! Now this other guy! Now back to this guy! Do them all! Probably in the same day! For barely any money!").

So when you say "hype", I guess... for what? For an existing product, or like you were mentioning, this theoretical upcoming alternate English dub of Kai outsourcing voice talent to Ocean?

Many fans stick by voice casts they have become indoctrinated acquainted with, so maybe they'll overcompensate their excitement. Maybe they're truly that excited. Who knows? People want things, and they hope that they'll turn out well. Story of the Internet, right there!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Tue May 29, 2012 9:14 pm

The Ocean - Funimation thing is kinda like the fruit - vegetable argument. Scientifically, an avocado is not a vegetable. However, that is because scientifically, vegetables do not exist. But in the culinary world, vegetables do exist, and so they take some of what scientifically are the 'fruits of a plant' (tomatoes, avocados, etc.) into their food group, mostly based on taste. Tomatoes and avocados are the fruits of their plant, but in cooking, they are most often considered veggies because they are 'savory.' (What I'm trying to get at here is that there is a difference between a botanical fruit and a culinary fruit.)

How does that relate to the dubs? ... It made more sense in my head. Well, let's say that Funi's in-house 54-276 are apples. Their UUC redubbed 1-67 are oranges. Their original 1-53 with Saban are tomatoes. The 3 Pioneer movies are avocados. The Westwood dub with the returning cast from the tomato dub has episodes that are lettuce.

Now, separate the fruits and the not-fruits... Which are 'Funi dub,' and which are 'Ocean dub?'

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue May 29, 2012 9:31 pm

I remember back in the day, when the in-house cast first started, how every dub fan was an Ocean fan and how FUNimation blatantly disregarded those fans, who hated the new cast, as stupid loser Otaku nerds who should quit their bitching. I'm not exactly sure when the shift happened that put the current cast in favor. Maybe when the kids who "grew up with it" grew up and all the older fans moved on?

I do remember the Ocean cast days with nostalgic happiness, but if I actually try and watch the episodes I can't make it more than a few minutes without ruining the nostalgia. The movies, on the other hand, have aged really well and have some of that cast's best performances. I watched DBZ Movie 2 with that cast the other day and it still feels like my ideal dub. When I read the manga, it reads in my head like those movies play on screen (up to a point).
Last edited by Kendamu on Tue May 29, 2012 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by RazorX » Tue May 29, 2012 9:32 pm

Upon discovering that Ocean continued dubbing DBZ post Frieza saga, I've seen comments from people saying the like of their mind being blown and questioning reality. ie they found it amazing that the "Saiyan-Namek" cast completed dubbing DBZ. The Ocean dub is something that is spectacular, Ocean set a precedent for amazing voice acting, and when you have that level of quality taken away from you, you realise even more how great it was. And when it returns (almost unexpectedly) you appreciate it, a lot. I'm referring to DBZ.

When Dragon Ball Kai started broadcast, an Ocean dubbed version seemed like a dream to some people, including myself. We didn't think it would happen but wanted it anyway.

Then, it was revealed, something which people wished for but didn't have a lot of hope for happening, is actually happening. To hear the amazing Canadian voice cast redub an amazing show speaks volumes for why it is hyped.

When it was revealed that there would be voice actors from Ocean's DBZ dub returning to their roles for DB Kai, the hype increased. When Scott McNeil revealed he's returning for pretty much all of his roles, most importantly Piccolo, excitement grew to all high levels.

Scott McNeil and Brian Drummond are universally regarded as 2 of the best voice actors ever to have been involved in a Dragon Ball dub. We have confirmation of Scott McNeil returning, if we get confirmation of Brian Drummond returning, I'd expect the hype to reach an even higher level.

It's waiting for it to come. We have a very active topic in the Kai section spanning over 60 pages and all we barely know any details about the Ocean dub of Kai.
penguintruth wrote:Rabid Ocean fans are delusional. They seem to forget that the Ocean days were the same days of "the next dimension", "Your father was a brilliant scientist", and just terrible voices and acting from the VAs for more than half the cast.
Others have pointed it out, but it's worth reiterating that the script was overseen by Funimation, the blame for those lines ca't be put on Ocean, who were hired to handle the voice talent.

As for the voices, the Ocean cast actually seem like the voices you'd expect to come out of the characters mouths, along with commendable acting, they do a damn good job of portraying the characters in the DB series.
VegettoEX wrote:Look at some of the casting and especially look at some of the performances they pulled out of that cast for the three movies. They're consistently looked at and pointed to as some of the best-produced "English" DBZ to this day, and even hardcore FUNimation-in-house-cast fans will typically concede to that.
The first DBZ movies dub by Ocean are amazing, the quality does seem to be better than the first 53 episodes (which itself is also really good) Whilst I can see why people see the Ocean dub of the 1st 3 movies as the best English dub to date, I feel there are ample moments in the Ocean dub of the Buu saga to put Ocean Buu quality above the Ocean movies 1-3 quality.
VegettoEX wrote: How on Earth it's possible to get a bad performance out of Scott McNeil is beyond me, but gosh darn it, they did it!
I don't think they did.

Some of the best screams from Scott McNeil's career came from the later Ocean dub, such as here.
Kendamu wrote:I remember back in the day, when the in-house cast first started, how every dub fan was an Ocean fan and how FUNimation blatantly disregarded those fans, who hated the new cast, as stupid loser Otaku nerds who should quit their bitching.
The "bitching" as Funimation put it, was also happening in various English speaking countries whose fans didnt take kindly to the Funi dub, and because fans made their voices heard (among other reasons), the Ocean cast returned. That is a case of giving the consumer what they want and making good money out of it.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue May 29, 2012 10:00 pm

Zestanor wrote:The Ocean - Funimation thing is kinda like the fruit - vegetable argument. Scientifically, an avocado is not a vegetable. However, that is because scientifically, vegetables do not exist. But in the culinary world, vegetables do exist, and so they take some of what scientifically are the 'fruits of a plant' (tomatoes, avocados, etc.) into their food group, mostly based on taste. Tomatoes and avocados are the fruits of their plant, but in cooking, they are most often considered veggies because they are 'savory.' (What I'm trying to get at here is that there is a difference between a botanical fruit and a culinary fruit.)

How does that relate to the dubs? ... It made more sense in my head. Well, let's say that Funi's in-house 54-276 are apples. Their UUC redubbed 1-67 are oranges. Their original 1-53 with Saban are tomatoes. The 3 Pioneer movies are avocados. The Westwood dub with the returning cast from the tomato dub has episodes that are lettuce.

Now, separate the fruits and the not-fruits... Which are 'Funi dub,' and which are 'Ocean dub?'
It's really not even as complicated as that, as long as you use the terms consistently. "FUNi" or "FUNimation" can refer to either the cast, which is in-house working for FUNimation, or the actual dub itself. "Ocean dub" is something of a misnomer, as Ocean never produced a dub of any Dragon Ball property. Now, if you're referring to "Ocean dub" as simply shorthand for the actual voice dubbing done by the Ocean cast, then it's simple: "FUNi dub" refers to anything that uses the FUNimation in-house voice cast, be it seasons 3 through 6 of Z, any of GT, or Kai, and "Ocean dub" refers to anything with the Ocean cast, be it the first 53 episodes, the 3 movies, or the Westwood dub. But like I said, calling it the "Ocean dub" is misleading in its terminology because it does lead people to believe those three, completely separate dubs are a single production headed by Ocean. That's why I prefer the term "Ocean dub" not be used at all because that makes it all more complicated than it needs to be. When you take that out of mix, it's quite easy to "separate the fruits and not-fruits" as you say.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue May 29, 2012 10:10 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
Zestanor wrote:The Ocean - Funimation thing is kinda like the fruit - vegetable argument. Scientifically, an avocado is not a vegetable. However, that is because scientifically, vegetables do not exist. But in the culinary world, vegetables do exist, and so they take some of what scientifically are the 'fruits of a plant' (tomatoes, avocados, etc.) into their food group, mostly based on taste. Tomatoes and avocados are the fruits of their plant, but in cooking, they are most often considered veggies because they are 'savory.' (What I'm trying to get at here is that there is a difference between a botanical fruit and a culinary fruit.)

It's really not even as complicated as that, as long as you use the terms consistently. "FUNi" or "FUNimation" can refer to either the cast, which is in-house working for FUNimation, or the actual dub itself. "Ocean dub" is something of a misnomer, as Ocean never produced a dub of any Dragon Ball property. Now, if you're referring to "Ocean dub" as simply shorthand for the actual voice dubbing done by the Ocean cast, then it's simple: "FUNi dub" refers to anything that uses the FUNimation in-house voice cast, be it seasons 3 through 6 of Z, any of GT, or Kai, and "Ocean dub" refers to anything with the Ocean cast, be it the first 53 episodes, the 3 movies, or the Westwood dub. But like I said, calling it the "Ocean dub" is misleading in its terminology because it does lead people to believe those three, completely separate dubs are a single production headed by Ocean. That's why I prefer the term "Ocean dub" not be used at all because that makes it all more complicated than it needs to be. When you take that out of mix, it's quite easy to "separate the fruits and not-fruits" as you say.
I used to call it the Pioneer dub :P cause that's who distributed it... >__> But know I just call it the ocean dub as well.

KiddoCabbusses
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KiddoCabbusses » Tue May 29, 2012 10:25 pm

When trying to talk in short-hand (so that we don't end up with multi-paragraph essays about whom did what in regards to what dub) I tend to term the dubs as "Saban" or "syndicated" for the original 52/TV Version of Tree of Might, "Pioneer" for the 3 movies, "FUNi" for pretty much all of FUNi's in-house dubbing/redubbing, and "Mega Man Music" for the latter Ocean-VAed parts.

(Yes, I just can't let go of Super Fighting Robot, Mega Man.)

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue May 29, 2012 10:54 pm

Wow. I am currently listening to episode #296 of the podcast (still trying to catch up!), and I had no idea that Mike and Heath said, almost verbatim, what I just said in my post in this thread. I swear it was entirely unintentional. I was trying to be original, I promise! And what an amazing coincidence that I would listen to this episode on the same day! OMGOSH! :lol: