Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Hades » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:54 am

I think it would have been better to place the kikuchi replacement music along the same lines as the old DBZ placement
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:59 am

Sorry guys but still no news? How much long will they make us wait for Dragon Ball Kai Ocean Group Dub...?
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:15 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:Sorry guys but still no news? How much long will they make us wait for Dragon Ball Kai Ocean Group Dub...?
Ocean hasn't even finished the final act of Inuyasha, which from what I know has had people waiting even longer than Kai if that's any indicator.

What EXACTLY has Ocean been currently working on anyway that we have actually seen? If nothing then what the hell is taking them so damn long unless they're just like "Meh, I'll do it tomorrow" continuously.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:56 am

Again, Ocean is not a production company -- they provide voices. Someone else is in charge of actually producing these properties. In the case of Inu-Yasha, it's Viz. In the case of this supposed upcoming alternate English dub of Kai, it's... well, someone.

Place the "blame" or whatever it is you want on this random, unnamed entity.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:58 am

So why have "they" been so secretive regarding one of the biggest anime licensing contracts possible?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:21 am

Production trouble? License stipulations? Who knows?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

dagame10k
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dagame10k » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:58 am

Seeing as Canada has not seen a broadcast of Kai to date despite the FUNimation dub having been available for quite some time, I do wonder if this dub might actually appear on Cartoon Network 6-12 months from now, that's if Cartoon network is given some Anime programing, that is the only real possibility I see for Kai to get some air time in this country, YTV had lost interest in Dragon ball Z level of anime around Bionix's last days on the channel. Lack of interest in Anime in this country is pretty low, and that may also be the contributing factor as to why Kai hasn't shown up in this country.
"Nobody's Real............"

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:30 am

dagame10k wrote:Seeing as Canada has not seen a broadcast of Kai to date despite the FUNimation dub having been available for quite some time, I do wonder if this dub might actually appear on Cartoon Network 6-12 months from now, that's if Cartoon network is given some Anime programing, that is the only real possibility I see for Kai to get some air time in this country, YTV had lost interest in Dragon ball Z level of anime around Bionix's last days on the channel. Lack of interest in Anime in this country is pretty low, and that may also be the contributing factor as to why Kai hasn't shown up in this country.
Only a handful of Canadians such as us watch anime and read manga online and TV though. Since I have CW 23 in my area, I occasionally watch Kai, and some of Toonzai's shows that are barely edited.
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:42 pm

I've been under the impression that they're going to finish the whole show before it's released.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:23 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:I've been under the impression that they're going to finish the whole show before it's released.
If they were going to do that, they should provide the courtesy of at least an official announcement and airing date if possible.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:44 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:I've been under the impression that they're going to finish the whole show before it's released.
Well, we don't know that. That's just a theory I had as to why we haven't seen anything yet.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

elcrunkus

Post by elcrunkus » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:41 am

they're dubbing the rest of Inuyasha, which is scheduled to be released this fall.

This ocean dub could very well still be over a year away.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:02 pm

Gonstead wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:Sorry guys but still no news? How much long will they make us wait for Dragon Ball Kai Ocean Group Dub...?
Ocean hasn't even finished the final act of Inuyasha, which from what I know has had people waiting even longer than Kai if that's any indicator.
I've been told Ocean finished recording InuYasha well over a year ago at this point.
VegettoEX wrote:Production trouble? License stipulations? Who knows?
Or if it's Toei or some random European company doing this it could just be a lack of understanding pr. We didn't exactly get an announcement for the Ocean dub V2, it just popped up on TV.
Gonstead wrote:
If they were going to do that, they should provide the courtesy of at least an official announcement and airing date if possible.
Again, as stated before this is not Ocean's call to announce when and how this dub would be released.
dagame10k wrote:Seeing as Canada has not seen a broadcast of Kai to date despite the FUNimation dub having been available for quite some time, I do wonder if this dub might actually appear on Cartoon Network 6-12 months from now, that's if Cartoon network is given some Anime programing, that is the only real possibility I see for Kai to get some air time in this country, YTV had lost interest in Dragon ball Z level of anime around Bionix's last days on the channel. Lack of interest in Anime in this country is pretty low, and that may also be the contributing factor as to why Kai hasn't shown up in this country.
I very much doubt you'll see any third party programming on Cartoon Network Canada. You don't see it on Nickelodeon Canada, and they share ownership.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:15 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:
Gonstead wrote:
I've been told Ocean finished recording InuYasha well over a year ago at this point.
VegettoEX wrote:Production trouble? License stipulations? Who knows?
Or if it's Toei or some random European company doing this it could just be a lack of understanding pr. We didn't exactly get an announcement for the Ocean dub V2, it just popped up on TV.
Gonstead wrote:
Again, as stated before this is not Ocean's call to announce when and how this dub would be released.
I very much doubt you'll see any third party programming on Cartoon Network Canada. You don't see it on Nickelodeon Canada, and they share ownership.
I guess so. DB and DBGT were the only ones kept the Japanese score. To make things a little shaky, they can keep the Kikuchi score or change it to a new one to meet Canadian standards (at least borrow some themes from Canadian content wise shows like Bakugan, Beyblade, Atomic Betty, Reboot, Jimmy Two Shoes, Johnny Test, etc...)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:42 pm

SilverPlaqueVII wrote:I guess so. DB and DBGT were the only ones kept the Japanese score. To make things a little shaky, they can keep the Kikuchi score or change it to a new one to meet Canadian standards (at least borrow some themes from Canadian content wise shows like Bakugan, Beyblade, Atomic Betty, Reboot, Jimmy Two Shoes, Johnny Test, etc...)
If "they" did the latter, then their status as a Fit and Proper Licence Holder (a term borrowed from the Fit and Proper Person test for prospective British football managers) will be called into question. Changing the music is simply an unacceptable business practice for Anime licensing in this day and age.

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:14 pm

Hades wrote:
SilverPlaqueVII wrote:I guess so. DB and DBGT were the only ones kept the Japanese score. To make things a little shaky, they can keep the Kikuchi score or change it to a new one to meet Canadian standards (at least borrow some themes from Canadian content wise shows like Bakugan, Beyblade, Atomic Betty, Reboot, Jimmy Two Shoes, Johnny Test, etc...)
If "they" did the latter, then their status as a Fit and Proper Licence Holder (a term borrowed from the Fit and Proper Person test for prospective British football managers) will be called into question. Changing the music is simply an unacceptable business practice for Anime licensing in this day and age.

Z did Monster Rancher / Megaman for 123-291 as their unstandardized use. FUNimation did change Z and GT'a music, with Kai here, maybe FUNimation and Westwood will keep the Kai score.

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:28 pm

SilverPlaqueVII wrote:
Hades wrote:

Z did Monster Rancher / Megaman for 123-291 as their unstandardized use. FUNimation did change Z and GT'a music, with Kai here, maybe FUNimation and Westwood will keep the Kai score.
It's not Westwood or Funimation that's producing this dub, it's someone else. And what happened regarding the music during the initial run of Z/GT, whether Funi/Westwood/Saban is irrelevant to Kai, because doing that sort of thing today will destroy any company's credibility.

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by RazorX » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:15 pm

Hades wrote:And what happened regarding the music during the initial run of Z/GT, whether Funi/Westwood/Saban is irrelevant to Kai, because doing that sort of thing today will destroy any company's credibility.
No it wouldn't, and certainly not in this case.

At the end of the day, we watch the DB series because we gain enjoyment out of it, there's no point sticking to a decision that takes a lot of the enjoyment away just because it was made by the original producers. Don't forget that the music has already been replaced, and rather poorly.

A replacement of the original, or a replacement of a replacement, it doesn't matter, because the tag 'replacement music' is here, and unless Toei restores the original music, Kai has replacement music.

Ocean need to either use the original Yamamoto music or use their own music, preferably the same and continued from their Kid Buu saga dub.

If they do that, then Ocean's dub would musically blow all other versions out of the water, and that is something that would add to their credibility.

To top that off, Ocean and their contractor would get to keep the music royalties. I can see advantage after advantage for replacing the music.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:03 pm

The use of "replacement music" for an English dub is an absolutely loathesome practice, regardless of Kai's music troubles. If Ocean's dub for Kai does this, it will be a huge blow to my interest in it.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by RazorX » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:37 pm

You've said that, but haven't elaborated on why.

The point that gets conveniently ignored by some is that the music has already been replaced. That replacement music is not good enough, so another replacement music is needed for this much anticipated dub.