Toriyama/Manga Question

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Toriyama/Manga Question

Post by Dayspring » Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:20 pm

The Daizenshuu consider both the anime and the manga to be the official source but, as we know, there times when they conflict (filler eps+sagas, etc). Because of this, I don't know for sure if the Tsufuru-jin are part of the Saiyan history.

I know they are essential to the anime, but did Toriyama acknowledge them? I'm askling because they're not mentioned EVER in the manga and don't want to exclude anything from the Chronology section of my site that might still be a part of the pre-dragonball section of it.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Toriyama/Manga Question

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:23 pm

Dayspring wrote:The Daizenshuu consider both the anime and the manga to be the official source but, as we know, there times when they conflict (filler eps+sagas, etc). Because of this, I don't know for sure if the Tsufuru-jin are part of the Saiyan history.

I know they are essential to the anime, but did Toriyama acknowledge them? I'm askling because they're not mentioned EVER in the manga and don't want to exclude anything from the Chronology section of my site that might still be a part of the pre-dragonball section of it.
As far as I know, he never mentions them. They're completely made up by Toei Animation.

Speaking of which...I just got the new DBZ anime guidebook! It's crazy...too much information to digest at once. Gonna have some fun with this book, lemme tell ya'. Don't know why I felt like sharing that just now, but whatever. :)
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:28 pm

Thought so. Thanks
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Toriyama/Manga Question

Post by Deus ex Machina » Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:31 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:As far as I know, he never mentions them. They're completely made up by Toei Animation.
:shock:

Damn, I can't believe I've been watching the show for years and never knew that...I need the whole damn manga >.>

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:45 am

Depends.

Are you covering the Dragon Ball/Z ANIME, MANGA, or a mix and match of both? You can really do whatever you want technically speaking whichever YOU view superior - if you include DBGT in your cannon though you gotta include them in it early on
-Laserkid

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:31 pm

I'm doing manga only for my site, with Bardock and Trunks specials considered a part of it (because of "Trunks: The Story" and the Bardock flashback).

I WANT to say that the anime is one of the many different timelines (hence the movies and filler stuff) but there isn't exactly an official source that would ever say they are.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:51 pm

Then you're sticking to the manga and then no need to use the fruit people (too lazy to spell the Japanese name).

Bardock and Trunks' story ARE a part of the manga but keep in mind that the trunks manga chapter is diffrent than the anime special, and Bardock was only in a flashback, so the stuff on planet meat, exct is diffrent.
-Laserkid

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:32 pm

laserkid wrote:Bardock and Trunks' story ARE a part of the manga but keep in mind that the trunks manga chapter is diffrent than the anime special, and Bardock was only in a flashback, so the stuff on planet meat, exct is diffrent.
I'd just like to point out that Bardock didn't appear in the manga until after the DBZ TV Special had aired, so technically, the manga is just following the anime on that point. I'd say the stuff from the Bardock special is more-or-less canon, from the standpoint that it was good enough for Toriyama to incorporate into the manga.

Or something. :?
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:33 am

REALLY??? Whoa. I just figured they did it to build up suspense in the tv series (have to wait an extra week before Goku gets into it w/Freeza). Do you know when the Bardock Flashback chapter was released by any chance?

Gary
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gary » Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:52 pm

Bardock Flashback??

I think you mean the Bardock TV Special. If so that has been released in the United States for quite some time. Um.. I would say go to a SunCoast or a BestBuy. If you have one a Movie Trading Company.
Founder/Owner/Webmaster of [|[url=http://www.junk-anime.com/]Junk-Anime.com[/url]|]

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:13 pm

The chapter with the Bardock flashback apparently comes from SJ Issue #5 of 1991, and the TV special had aired in October 1990.

On an unrelated note, I've heard that Weekly Shounen Jump issues are always released on Fridays. Can anyone confirm this? Just curious.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:10 pm

Gary wrote:Bardock Flashback??

I think you mean the Bardock TV Special. If so that has been released in the United States for quite some time. Um.. I would say go to a SunCoast or a BestBuy. If you have one a Movie Trading Company.
I had meant the two panels in volume 26 of the manga where Freeza thinks to himself "now I remember! he [goku] resembles that Saiyan that fought like a devil when I blew up planet Vegeta!" The pic shows a beaten up Bardock surrounded by tons of Freeza henchmen and planet Vegeta in th bg. The second panel has the narrator saying "Neither he
TripleRach wrote:d realize that that the man he was referring to, Bardock, was in fact Goku's father!" and has a pic of first form Freeza reaching a finger forward and Bardock engulfed in ki-flame, dying.
TripleRach wrote:The chapter with the Bardock flashback apparently comes from SJ Issue #5 of 1991, and the TV special had aired in October 1990.

On an unrelated note, I've heard that Weekly Shounen Jump issues are always released on Fridays. Can anyone confirm this? Just curious.
Thanks for the info! Much obliged! I had also heard somwhere SJ was released on Friday's but I can't find where. (Maybe in daizenshuu 1 or 7 since those are the only 2 I have)

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:11 pm

I was moreso reffering to the Trunks Story - Trunks in manga was able to go super saiyan BEFORE Gohan of that timeline was killed. I assumed the Bardock flashback had similar inconsistancies.
-Laserkid

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:40 am

Yeah I know. Gohan was also killed by both androids in the anime whereas only #17 fought him (and we don't even see that fight). We don't even see him lose his arm. I like to pretend it's all the same except for the Trunks SSJ thing. :D