Family Dragonball stories

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

samuraix123
I Live Here

Family Dragonball stories

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:05 pm

Hello!
I thought this would be a fun little topic for everyone to laugh at each other :) Do you have any funny Dragonball stories involving your family? have they said or done something that's dragonball related? here's two funny stories from me.
My grandfather always used to watch Dragonball Z with me when I was younger and everytime a bad guy would show up he would say ''Don't worry Gohan will save them'' and when Majin boo blasted Gohan away he said ''Welp I guess there ain't no saving them now'' :lol: & I wasn't aloud to watch dbz at my uncles house because he thought they were demons because their hair glowed yellow and he would turn it off :P :lol: I used to get so mad at him when he turned it off :lol:
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Family Dragonball stories

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:16 pm

My family was never into the show. I remember my little sister would GT when it was on in 2004 or 2005, I remember her saying that Trunks was her favorite character.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:29 pm

One time, when I was in the hospital, I brought along some volumes of the manga to read. While I was in recovery, my mom read them for something to do, and later said it wasn't what she was expecting. Years later, around when Evolution was coming out, she borrowed and read all 42 volumes from me.

My mom's pretty cool.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

SSJ Helldog
Regular

Post by SSJ Helldog » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:13 pm

When I was 15 my dad went to Mexico on a business trip (not a drug dealer) and brought me back some badly painted bootleg action figures. Goku and Vegeta I recognized, but I had no clue who SSJ3 Goku and Broly were.
Officer Hippoface sez: "I don't take kindly to vigilantes in my town."

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:15 pm

SSJ Helldog wrote:When I was 15 my dad went to Mexico on a business trip (not a drug dealer) and brought me back some badly painted bootleg action figures. Goku and Vegeta I recognized, but I had no clue who SSJ3 Goku and Broly were.
I haft to admit I laughed when you said ''Not a drug dealer'' :lol: I would have never assumed he was :)
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:34 pm

When my nephew was around 10 or so, he brought over his friend who believed that DBAF was real. You could even seen the conviction in his eyes. :cry:

It's a decade later now, so I dunno if my nephew's friend's dream came true or not at least in doujinshi form.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:39 pm

My mom once walked into the room while I was watching DBZ and she said that "it looks like the artist used triangles as a base for the drawings".

Corpsecreate
Beyond Newbie

Post by Corpsecreate » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:59 pm

I watched DBZ on tv in the mornings before school. I was in primary school at the time and my older brother was in highschool. His school started earlier than mine which meant that he had to leave just the episode had started. I remember taping every episode on VHS and cutting out the commercial breaks every single morning so that he could watch it when he'd get back.

I still have these tapes :)

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:14 am

There was only one TV in the house so what we watched, my parents watched. My mom and dad (but mostly my mom) watched the whole series from the beginning.

Once, my dad was saying that there was this annoying guy at his job. "Tomorrow I'll show him. I'm going over there, transform into SSj and go HYAHYAHYAHYAHYAH!!!" *Vegeta's multiple blast technique* He would also make fun of the "5 minutes to explode" arc.

Back in 1996, I would sing "Romantic Age" to my newborn brother. By 1997 I taught him all the basic Ki Techniques. Not kidding. I would say "Kamehameha!" and he would place his little hands on his side and then thrust them forward. "Kienzan!" he would rise his hand. "MASENKO!" his two hands over his forehead. "Genki dama" little arms extended to the sky. ToT It was beautiful.

I just posted the full teaser trailer and he went nuts with it.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:24 pm

soulnova wrote:
Back in 1996, I would sing "Romantic Age" to my newborn brother. By 1997 I taught him all the basic Ki Techniques. Not kidding. I would say "Kamehameha!" and he would place his little hands on his side and then thrust them forward. "Kienzan!" he would rise his hand. "MASENKO!" his two hands over his forehead. "Genki dama" little arms extended to the sky. ToT It was beautiful.
I used to do the same thing with my nephew when he was about 3. His favorite one to do was the Galick Gun and Makankosapo.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:44 pm

None of my family have ever had more than a passing interest in Dragon Ball. My sister bought me my first Dragon Ball manga volume for my birthday and occasionally played the Budokai games with me, and my brother played my copy of Shin Budokai for a while (mentioning that Vegeta was his favourite character because he looked like a badass), but later denies it whenever I ask him about it. He still sometimes refers to someone powering up or yelling angrily on TV or something as “going Super Saiyan”, though, so it had something of a lasting effect, at least. My mother sometimes incorrectly refers to the series as Dragon Z Ball.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:41 pm

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:53 pm

Not really, unfortunately. Most of my "family Dragoball stories" are relating to their weirded-out reactions to the brief glimpses they took/brief things they heard about the show. A few that come to mind...

ME (at 12 years old): My favorite show is called "Dragon Ball Z."
DAD: "Dragon...Ball...Z?"
ME: Yeah, "Dragon Ball Z," it's about Dragon Balls. There are seven of them.
DAD:....Son, are you sure this show is appropriate?

MY SISTER: "Oh, wait, 'Dragon Ball Z'...I vaguely remember that...who was the bad guy? That one guy with the blonde hair?"

Okay, actually, one more thing. I think you subbies will get a kick out of this. I remember when I was 19, I was watching the FUNimation dub of "The World's Strongest," but with the English subtitles on. By that point, FUNimation no longer had two subtitle tracks...just one, for the Japanese audio track. My dad stumbled in, watched for about forty seconds, and then said...

DAD: How come the subtitles are saying something totally different?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:45 pm

Haha TheBlackPaladin I so feel like putting this in my signature :P
"Oh, wait, 'Dragon Ball Z'...I vaguely remember that...who was the bad guy? That one guy with the blonde hair?"
Maybe she was referring to Broly? Maybe? :P
#1 Paikuhan fan!

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:49 am

samuraix123 wrote:Haha TheBlackPaladin I so feel like putting this in my signature :P
"Oh, wait, 'Dragon Ball Z'...I vaguely remember that...who was the bad guy? That one guy with the blonde hair?"
Maybe she was referring to Broly? Maybe? :P
Haha, yeah, sure, sig it if you wish. You want to know the hilarious part, though? She never watched the series, she only glanced at it every once in a while when my family lived in a smaller house. We eventually moved into a slightly bigger house where we mostly watched TV in our own rooms. We moved shortly before the Garlic Jr. Saga started airing, so she never saw anything beyond the Freeza saga.

...See what I'm saying? In what she had watched (or rather, glanced at), there had so far only been ONE guy with blonde hair. So...when she said, "the bad guy, the one guy with the blonde hair"...she was unknowingly referring to Goku. Meaning she somehow thought that Freeza was the good guy. Which always made me wonder what she would think if she saw the scenes out of order, with the role of "good guy" and "bad guy" swapped. It would have been hilarious if she was like (referring to Dende), "Why did the good guy just murder that little boy?" :lol:
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:08 pm

My cousins from my mother side would all watch Dragon Ball with us, but my cousins from my father's side were told by their parents that DBZ was "of the devil".

That was at the same time they were saying Pikachu meant "1000 times more powerful than God". My face when they told me that:

Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:13 pm

Yeah that always sucks when parents tell their children that stuff.
my mom never pushed anything on us as far as religious stuff goes. if we believed, we believed. if we didn't, we didn't lol but one of my EX-best friends had these super rare Pokemon cards and his mother made him throw all of them away because she heard atheists made the cards LOL :lol: and you can just image what his mother's like.
#1 Paikuhan fan!

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:18 pm

That's awful. :(

I wonder how your friend turned out.

There was a phase where my mom wouldn't approve my anime either. Sometimes she would give me a stern look and "I don't think that's appropriate". I think she used the "It's evil" card once... but she never took anything away from me. She simply started to get use to it the more she watched it. For example... Naked kid Goku fighting or swimming in the river. Her mouth made a thing line the first time she saw that... now, if she catches the original series she just rolls her eyes and chuckles.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:27 pm

soulnova wrote:That's awful. :(

I wonder how your friend turned out.

There was a phase where my mom wouldn't approve my anime either. Sometimes she would give me a stern look and "I don't think that's appropriate". I think she used the "It's evil" card once... but she never took anything away from me. She simply started to get use to it the more she watched it. For example... Naked kid Goku fighting or swimming in the river. Her mouth made a thing line the first time she saw that... now, if she catches the original series she just rolls her eyes and chuckles.
Well I won't turn this thread into a religious thing but there's a reason he's my EX-best friend. :P he started going to church at this big ministry and when he got back from it, he won't come talk to me anymore won't accept my calls or he won't call me.
#1 Paikuhan fan!

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:29 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:ME (at 12 years old): My favorite show is called "Dragon Ball Z."
DAD: "Dragon...Ball...Z?"
ME: Yeah, "Dragon Ball Z," it's about Dragon Balls. There are seven of them.
DAD:....Son, are you sure this show is appropriate?

Hey, would you mind if I use this as my signature?
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.