DBZ Arc Formula

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

caejones
I Live Here

DBZ Arc Formula

Post by caejones » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:14 pm

So, while thinking about some issues I had with the storytelling in the Cell arc, I noticed that each major arc in DBZ follows this formula.
This isn't quite like the "for the whole series" formula I posted on... years ago, and really seems easier to just plug values into to generate a new story arc. Heck, maybe I'll make a program that generates a fanfic summary/outline/maybe full chapter in beige based on this. :P

Anyway, here's the list, then filled in for each arc.

New character arrives,
reveals the direction of the rest of the plot to the main cast,
and is involved in a short (3-5 episodes) fight, mostly for measuring purposes.
There is a brief hope of doing something about the impending events right away, but it is quickly squashed and everyone goes off to train.
The baddies arrive, and the first wave gives some trouble before being taken out.
Someone, usually Goku, shows up at this point with a significant powerup and deals with the mid-boss, possibly with a little teamwork at the end of the fight
but there is a greater threat on the horizon,
so everyone tries to recuperate and get in some more training before entering the final stretch of fighting.
By the end of the arc, a spirit bomb will have been tried at least once,
and at least two characters will demonstrate new transformation(s),
and Goku disappears again.

Space-empire arc:
New character arrives,
- Raditz
- "I am your brother, and there are saiyans out there! Oh, and they'll be after the dragonballs, thanks for mentioning those."
- "I am four times as powerful as your previous opponent... and you! But you rose to the challenge, somehow. Bleh."
There is a brief hope of doing something about the impending events right away, but it is quickly squashed and everyone goes off to train.
- Killing Raditz did not put an end to the trouble with the saiyans, so everyone used the almost-year that they had to prepare.
The baddies arrive, and the first wave gives some trouble before being taken out.
- A Saibaman kills Yamcha, Tien and Chaozu die trying to take out Nappa, Nappa kills Piccolo... but Krillin and Piccolo handily irradicate the Saibamen, and Goku takes out Nappa.
Someone, usually Goku, shows up at this point with a significant powerup and deals with the mid-boss, possibly with a little teamwork at the end of the fight
- Goku arrives with his Kaio training and pwns Nappa and gives Vegeta a run for his money. Krillin, Gohan and Yajirobe are instrumental to the final victory.
- Resurrecting their friends requires Namek's dragonballs, and Freeza is on Namek, menacing.
so everyone tries to recuperate and get in some more training before entering the final stretch of fighting.
- Lots of healing and training on the way to Namek from all parties. Vegeta didn't have any training shown, but meh.
- Twice, in this case, and both failed.
- Goku goes SSJ, Piccolo merges with Nail, Gohan and Vegeta use Oozaru (debatable whether that's new, here), and Freeza and Zarbon are transforming all over the place.
- Off in space, telling Porunga to buzz off and let him ignore his family and friends for a year and a half.

Gero's Creations:
New character arrives,
- Trunks
- "In three years, two killer androids will appear on an island nine miles southwest of south city, and everyone but Gohan will die in battle. Except Goku, who dies before it with a heart disease. Here's an antidote, btw."
- "I am easily strong enough to defeat the previous enemy, but am no match for the next batch you will face. Good luck."
- "We could find Gero's lab, possibly with the help of the dragonballs, and put an end to this before it happens! Except Vegeta's desire for a challenge makes him decide to kill us if we try it. :( "
- #19 beats up Goku, but is blown to bits by Vegeta. #20 plays chicken until Piccolo rips his arms off.
- 17 and 18 crush everyone, until Piccolo merges with Kami and gives 17 a run for his money. Imperfect Cell, 16 and Tien all get involved, though who's on whose side bounces around a bit. 17 is out, and 18 is on the run.
- Cell
- RoSaT training, then Goku and Gohan's relaxed SSJ "training".
- Um, if you count that one thing Cell did as a failed spirit bomb. Otherwise, the previous arc has an extra one we can borrow...?
- Piccolo merged with Kami, Goku, Vegeta and Trunks learn how to buff up to "USSJ", and Gohan goes SSJ2. And there's Cell and his multiple forms.
- Via death, and once again telling Porunga to shove it (though preemptively this time).

Buu:
New character arrives,
- Kaioshin
- "An evil monster called Majin Buu is imprisoned on Earth, and the evil wizard Babidi is harvesting energy to resurrect him!"
- Spopovich and Videl gets brutal, Gohan draws out his power in retaliation, and Kaioshin restrains him so that his energy can be stolen.
- The tower-of-baddies that is Babidi's ship, until Buu gets released anyway. So everyone goes off to train, Goten and Trunks for fusion, Gohan for the Z-sword.
- Babidi and most of his underlings are owned quickly. Arguably Fat Buu counts in the first wave. Dabura, Majin Vegeta and especially fat Buu were the only significant obstacles.
- His SSJ3 battle with Buu. The only thing resembling teamwork here is using it as a distraction for Trunks to retrieve the dragon radar.
- Buu eats himself and becomes an omnicidal maniac.
- Goten and Trunks get rushed into the RoSaT, Gohan gets his power drawn out by the elder Kaioshin.
- This one actually finished off Buu.
- Goku goes SSJ3, Goten and Trunks fuse and go SSJ3, Gohan gets his Elder Kai powerup, and let's not get started on Buu's many forms...
- This time just because he can.

... Yeah, I then proceeded to try and fill out my own arc. But I'd rather not be posting it yet. At least, not as it's currently written...

Obviously, stuff that doesn't conform to such specific formulas is awesome. Though it suddenly occurs to me that something like, say, an abridged series could do something fun with something formulaic like that... I mean, TFS is already doing it with movie henchmen.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Re: DBZ Arc Formula

Post by Rocketman » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:53 pm

caejones wrote:- "We could find Gero's lab, possibly with the help of the dragonballs, and put an end to this before it happens! Except Vegeta's desire for a challenge makes him decide to kill us if we try it. :( "
It wasn't all Vegeta, come on now. Even Tien was all OOH NEW FITE.

caejones
I Live Here

Re: DBZ Arc Formula

Post by caejones » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:44 pm

True, true. Goku went along with it for about the same reasons as Vegeta.
I mention Vegeta mostly because he's the only one who would have been a serious obstacle to anyone who wanted to carry out a preemptive strike. Goku or T'en might have tried to talk someone like Gohan or Bulma out of it, but Vegeta's the one who might actually make threats and be able to back them up.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).