SSJ3 and Buu - Where does he get the energy?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ItsAllGood
Not-So-Newbie

SSJ3 and Buu - Where does he get the energy?

Post by ItsAllGood » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:19 am

Just watched Episode 265 - Vegeta's Respect. One thing I noticed was the fact that Goku could transform into SSJ3 to fight Buu, but had to revert back to base form after a thorough ass-kicking by Buu. But then, Goku shows up again, saves Vegeta by headbutting Buu, and proceeds to transform again, through all SSJ levels up to SSJ3.

The question I have is this - WHERE is he getting his energy? There are no sensu beans about, and all he seems to be doing is taking a short breather.

We know that SSJ3 takes a lot of energy to use, but how could he generate/accumulate enough energy to come back for more?
Goku seems to keep coming back with a vengance each time, even after admitting he is almost out of energy. Was he only conserving energy during the fight? One would think he would go all out from the word "Go".

Anyone else notice this?

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:27 am

Forgive the sports terminology but, Goku is clutch :wink:

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:13 am

Erm.. I know jack about sports terms, so could you explain that?

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:33 am

"Clutch" basically means that they come through when their team really needs them to. For example, I'm a big Sacramento Kings basketball fan. Mike Bibby (their point guard) is described as a clutch player because he can go on a scoring streak when the team is down and really needs points.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:10 am

Most of it's filler. If I remember correctly from the time I shamefully looked at illegal scans on Dran--a site, this is how it goes.

- Ssj3 Goku vs. Chibi Boo (Straight to Ssj3.)
- Ssj2 Vegeta vs. Chibi Boo (Goku begins trying to gather Ki.)
- Mr. Satan and Innocent Boo vs. Chibi Boo. (During which, Goku loses Ssj3 altogether and the Genki-Dama business begins.)

Pretty much, Goku just had one round at Boo, as did Vegeta. Most of the fighting, oddly enough, was Boo vs. Boo.

But, keep in mind I only read that once, and it was many months ago. This June I'll be much more capable to giving some insight into that, and without the fear of being wrong, which haunts me even now.

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:34 am

- Ssj3 Goku vs. Chibi Boo (Straight to Ssj3.)
- Ssj2 Vegeta vs. Chibi Boo (Goku begins trying to gather Ki.)
- Mr. Satan and Innocent Boo vs. Chibi Boo. (During which, Goku loses Ssj3 altogether and the Genki-Dama business begins.)
Coincidence I read it this morning (German version ;)) and you're right, Gokuu starts out as a SSJ3, tries to gather full power and loses it all suddenly. Doesn't transform twice. Guess the thing ItsAllGood talks about is filler.
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:50 pm

"It was filler" = Best and most convenient way to dismiss something.

I agree with Kodoshin, though. He jumped back up to SSj3 mostly to save Vegeta. Still, the fight didn't last much longer after that, so it was apparently just a second wind.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:30 pm

Well, it IS filler. I don't see what's wrong with stating that...

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:33 pm

I think the reason Kaboom mentioned the "It's filler" bit because it's a slightly annoying way of saying "It doesn't matter".

Note - Well, I'm not sure if that's how Duo meant it in this case, but honestly, looking at all the times it's used around here, that's what it pretty much means by now. "It's filler. It doesn't matter. Don't bother talking about it. NEXT TOPIC!"

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:54 pm

Well, if something doesn't make sense, it is usually Filler. This isn't some bias or made up way to excuse things, it's just something we have to live with. Toei needed to buy time so they gave Goku a mysterious second wind that didn't completely make sense. Problem?

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:15 pm

Duo wrote:Well, if something doesn't make sense, it is usually Filler. This isn't some bias or made up way to excuse things, it's just something we have to live with. Toei needed to buy time so they gave Goku a mysterious second wind that didn't completely make sense. Problem?
Well, how about the fact that it's not mysterious and does make perfect sense? Goku fell out of SSJ3 because he was too tired and worn to maintain it. Vegeta fought while Goku rested. He recovered some of his energy this way, enough to transform again, and went back into battle. The same thing applies in the real world. People wear out, rest a bit, and then are ready for more (even if they're not back to full again).

I'm with B here. The anime has it's own continuity slightly different than that of the manga. That which does not contradict something in the manga is canon to this continuity. While Goku's second wind isn't in the manga it doesn't contradict anything and is possible to occur, thus the "it's filler" excuse isn't needed.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:48 am

Xyex wrote:
Duo wrote:Well, if something doesn't make sense, it is usually Filler. This isn't some bias or made up way to excuse things, it's just something we have to live with. Toei needed to buy time so they gave Goku a mysterious second wind that didn't completely make sense. Problem?
Well, how about the fact that it's not mysterious and does make perfect sense? Goku fell out of SSJ3 because he was too tired and worn to maintain it. Vegeta fought while Goku rested. He recovered some of his energy this way, enough to transform again, and went back into battle. The same thing applies in the real world. People wear out, rest a bit, and then are ready for more (even if they're not back to full again).

I'm with B here. The anime has it's own continuity slightly different than that of the manga. That which does not contradict something in the manga is canon to this continuity. While Goku's second wind isn't in the manga it doesn't contradict anything and is possible to occur, thus the "it's filler" excuse isn't needed.
Considering how filler'd out Goku's previous uses of Ssj3 were, it does completely work in the Anime continuity. It depends entirely on what you're trying to look at as "canon" or "logical".

I don't like most of that battle because it makes Chibi Boo seem even weaker than he is, Ssj2 Goku and Vegeta incredibly strong, Ssj3 way easier to use and maintain and reachieve and even makes Base Vegeta seems as strong as Ssj3 Goku (which is funny, because the Manga has Vegeta try to fight Chibi Boo, and he's downed in one punch. Quite a funny lil' moment.)

But I'll give it up to being a factor of preference and what you're relating it too. I am used and obviously prefer the manga, so I gave my perspective based on that. Yours seems to be more Anime based, so your perspective is different.

I'll include and keep this bit in mind from now on, friend.

ItsAllGood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ItsAllGood » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:35 am

Thanks for clearing that up! I don't have access to the Daizenshuu books, but I like to get an idea of what is filler and what is not, just to satisfy my own curiosity, I guess.

But thanks all! Much appreciated. :D