What's your opinion on the level sets?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Re: What's your opinion on the level sets?

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:33 pm

It's already included in original quality. You gotta change the quality setting under the Youtube video.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:46 pm

The 'Original Quality' option doesn't show up so even at its best quality on YouTube (1080p) it doesn't show the true quality it has. It's still very good, though.

If you own either an Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3, visit their marketplaces and see the samples of Season one episodes. US-only. Unfortunately.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:14 pm

It should be above the 1080p HD option. It is for me.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Choujin Daizenshuu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Choujin Daizenshuu » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:37 pm

FUNimation can't drag their heels on Dragon Ball Z forever. Eventually, they're going to have to say something related to it.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:17 am

I thought they looked great. I was actually planning on picking my favorite parts up.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:28 am

JulieYBM wrote:I think FUNimation should have held off until Toei was ready to do their own HD release. Why crowd the market with an inferior product?
An inferior product compared to what? Based on prior releases if Toei did a Blu-ray release they wouldn't bother color correcting the footage again, and 22 minutes per episode of having correctly colored footage is a lot more important to me than ten seconds of an original title card in a language I can't even read.

Moreover it took them ages to even put the series on DVD, if they do ever bother with a Blu-ray release it probably won't be for another ten years.
­

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:02 am

I own Levels 1.1 and 1.2, I am pretty excited for 2.1, it's slated for March 2013, right? (lol)
They are the best in terms of quality, I don't need the Japanese Weaboo cards everyone is talking about.
If I want episode preview comparisons, I'll google them.

Funimation needs to continue the series, I know Toei will half-jack them or disturbingly digitize the episodes.

Go Funimation, if only you stopped and thought for a second instead of release 50 versions before getting to this one.
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:16 am

Gokuden wrote:I own Levels 1.1 and 1.2, I am pretty excited for 2.1, it's slated for March 2013, right? (lol)
They cancelled the Blu-Ray.

By the way, are you the Gokuden that had uploaded the bootleg Dragon Box videos on Youtube?
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:23 am

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:
Gokuden wrote:I own Levels 1.1 and 1.2, I am pretty excited for 2.1, it's slated for March 2013, right? (lol)
They cancelled the Blu-Ray.
I know that, hence the (lol). :P
I noticed you live in Texas, why don't you try ringing their doorbell or sending them fanmail galore explaining the situation on behalf of DragonBall fans everywhere? I'm Gokuden who used to steal wav. files from VegettoEX when I was a kid, not the same I'm afraid.

However, bootlegs are bad, they could end up killing an already shaky franchise like DragonBall.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:09 pm

Was thinking of buying these myself, but now I'm worried that if Funimation decide to go ahead with a BR release of DBZ that they'll do it in a new format and not pick up where they left off.

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:16 am

Sin wrote:Was thinking of buying these myself, but now I'm worried that if Funimation decide to go ahead with a BR release of DBZ that they'll do it in a new format and not pick up where they left off.
Now that I looked-up the Kenji Yamamoto affair (thanks to Kazenshuu's featurettes), I can safely assume that Funimation ceased production of the Levels because they have the original Japanese track with the infringed music on the 16mm film. People want both audio tracks, that was one of the advantages of getting this collection, that and the glorious 1080p. However, Funimation can't proceed due to an order from Toei.

Maybe they need a new soundtrack from Toei; but that won't be giving people the original Japanese experience.
This man is my hero:

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:47 am

Gokuden wrote:Now that I looked-up the Kenji Yamamoto affair (thanks to Kazenshuu's featurettes), I can safely assume that Funimation ceased production of the Levels because they have the original Japanese track with the infringed music on the 16mm film. People want both audio tracks, that was one of the advantages of getting this collection, that and the glorious 1080p. However, Funimation can't proceed due to an order from Toei.

Maybe they need a new soundtrack from Toei; but that won't be giving people the original Japanese experience.
That article is about the score of Kai, not Z.
-Joey

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:40 am

Honestly, my only problem with the set is that it might be just a little *too* grainy. I'm not an absolute expert, but I do know that 16mm is naturally very grainy - and these not being the original masters certainly can't help. No matter what, it's probably going to have more grain than even the best restoration of a feature film on 35. That said, while it's the lesser of two evils, you can definitely tell this is from a copy. I'm curious how many generations down their film masters are, actually, after looking at what I've seen. It's just too much! Thank goodness they didn't put this out on DVD, I wonder how their encodes would handle all that.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:20 am

They are the best in terms of quality, I don't need the Japanese weaboo cards everyone is talking about.

Funimation needs to continue the series, I know Toei will half-jack them or disturbingly digitize the episodes.

Go Funimation, if only you stopped and thought for a second instead of release 50 versions before getting to this one.
Better to leave this to Toei Animation they have the sources (complete package) whereas FUNimation doesn't and if FUNi brings this back one of the chances could be the Orange Bricks 1080p on Blu-ray.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:21 pm

Shunsuke Kikuchi
jpdbzrulz4sure wrote:
Gokuden wrote:Now that I looked-up the Kenji Yamamoto affair (thanks to Kazenshuu's featurettes), I can safely assume that Funimation ceased production of the Levels because they have the original Japanese track with the infringed music on the 16mm film. People want both audio tracks, that was one of the advantages of getting this collection, that and the glorious 1080p. However, Funimation can't proceed due to an order from Toei.

That article is about the score of Kai, not Z.
LOL, yes, it was Shunsuke Kikuchi who did the original score for DBZ, but I thought Yamamoto had at least a few songs in there. I always loved Kikuchi's score anyways, glad they reverted back to it for Kai. I hope the potential remastering won't go with a new score.
bkev wrote:Honestly, my only problem with the set is that it might be just a little *too* grainy. I'm not an absolute expert, but I do know that 16mm is naturally very grainy - and these not being the original masters certainly can't help. No matter what, it's probably going to have more grain than even the best restoration of a feature film on 35. That said, while it's the lesser of two evils, you can definitely tell this is from a copy. I'm curious how many generations down their film masters are, actually, after looking at what I've seen. It's just too much! Thank goodness they didn't put this out on DVD, I wonder how their encodes would handle all that.
Yeah, I can get where you're coming from, I've heard it was a copy of a copy, or a copy as well. As far as grain goes, I can't see it, so I'm content with this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9g6K2Aw ... re=related I hope Toei can do a better job without giving it that clean look, like Kai.
dbboxkaifan wrote:
They are the best in terms of quality, I don't need the Japanese weaboo cards everyone is talking about.

Better to leave this to Toei Animation they have the sources (complete package) whereas FUNimation doesn't and if FUNi brings this back one of the chances could be the Orange Bricks 1080p on Blu-ray.
It sounds good, but I look at Kai and fear for the series. Why would they go orange brick? Due to lack of funds and just popping it into a video editor app without frame by frame restoration?

I'm getting old guys, I want to have this series on Blu-ray before I...
This man is my hero:

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:52 pm

Kai was a rushed job with mediocre results (PQ + AQ), but they know there's a market out there of fans (Japanese + International) want the full Dragon Ball Z series completely remastered in High Definition 1080p so it might happen someday.

Most that praise Kai only do for the new FUNimation English dub, it's not something that matters with the original job. It's a foreign dub.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:55 pm

I bought DBGT this morning from Amazon.com, the price was $30, Ì'm not sure that series will ever get a BD-R release. There's nothing more they can do to remaster GT unless they go the Levels way. So I`m covered for best DVD quality.
This man is my hero:

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:05 pm

Regardless of whether people find the Dragon Boxes or the Level Sets to look better, what I am continually impressed by to this day is just the fact that this debate even exists. What I mean by that is, FUNimation took their old, multi-generation tapes...and made something that rivals (and, in the opinion of a solid number of people, outdoes) the quality of the Dragon Boxes, which were produced from first-generation film negatives taken out of cold storage. I gotta say, I'm impressed with FUNimation here!
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:16 am

Gokuden wrote:I bought DBGT this morning from Amazon.com, the price was $30, Ì'm not sure that series will ever get a BD-R release. There's nothing more they can do to remaster GT unless they go the Levels way. So I`m covered for best DVD quality.
BD-R is a Blu-ray Disc to burn of whether 25 GB or 50 GB, for retail it's just BD.

Kind of hard to believe that BD-R and its burners are still pricey, I don't remember DVD-R/RW/etc keeping the price up after several years after.

DVD9's are still sort of pricey but who honestly still burns discs, external/internal HDDs are the way to go to keep all the data. Although, there's the hypothesis of all that data going missing if the HDD phases out. :| Same applies to other media forms.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:16 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Gokuden wrote:I bought DBGT this morning from Amazon.com, the price was $30, Ì'm not sure that series will ever get a BD-R release. There's nothing more they can do to remaster GT unless they go the Levels way. So I`m covered for best DVD quality.
BD-R is a Blu-ray Disc to burn of whether 25 GB or 50 GB, for retail it's just BD.

Kind of hard to believe that BD-R and its burners are still pricey, I don't remember DVD-R/RW/etc keeping the price up after several years after.

DVD9's are still sort of pricey but who honestly still burns discs, external/internal HDDs are the way to go to keep all the data. Although, there's the hypothesis of all that data going missing if the HDD phases out. :| Same applies to other media forms.
I think Flash Drives are the safest way to store your data right now, just basically an eeprom slate.
I send my data to my e-mail account several times over, when I finish a thesis, just to make sure it's available everywhere.
Also, hopefully the cloud servers are better.

Funimation is hardcore, hopefully one day they continue the series.
This man is my hero: