Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:10 pm

If an actor is talented and versatile, their prior roles shouldn't have any effect on a potential future performance if they try out and are cast for a sufficient reason. I could see him playing up the young-at-heart portion of Goku perfectly well.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:12 pm

matt0044 wrote:Maybe but I have trouble seeing the voice of Amuro Ray and Light Yagami as Goku.
I LOVE his Gohan, so if he could make his Gokuh sound different enough that there would never be a mix-up...
Now I'm starting to get excited for this. I hope they get O'Hara back to play Bulma. She was one of the best. Does anyone have a clip of her from the Westwood dub?
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:16 pm

I am aslo a big fan of his Gohan as well :)

I hope it's someone with similar qualities to Ian James Corlett and/or Peter Kelamis since we are getting Scott McNeil and (99.9% sure) Brain Drummond. But we won't find out till it airs...or a cast list is confirmed.

Toei said it's likly to air this month....but I'm thinking December. But still no official conformation or even a teaser trailer? Very odd indeed. Ofcourse it could be FUNi's kai :shock: :?

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:29 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:I LOVE his Gohan, so if he could make his Gokuh sound different enough that there would never be a mix-up...
While I would hope Swaile would adjust his acting accordingly, when it comes to just the voice in and of itself I have no problem with him using the voice he gave Gohan (his own natural speaking voice).

*Shrugs*

Why not? If anything, it would provide an interesting sort of continuity/mirroring of the Japanese cast in that you have the same actor playing multiple members of the same family.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Solidus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Solidus » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:56 pm

I don't know about Brad Swaile. He seems too obvious, not really an unexpected person. Someone unexpected would be Terry Klassen, Alessandro Juliani or Trevor Devall. I don't know maybe Richard Ian Cox might pull it off. I'm kinda hoping it's a new comer to Dragon Ball as I haven't really seen much from the rest of the cast that did the Westwood Dub that would suggest they would be able to pull off the role as good as this new Goku is made out to be. Actually who would voice the narrator this time around? Is Doc Harris still with Ocean or what's the case with him?

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:40 pm

VegettoEX wrote:If an actor is talented and versatile, their prior roles shouldn't have any effect on a potential future performance if they try out and are cast for a sufficient reason. I could see him playing up the young-at-heart portion of Goku perfectly well.
True. I can see that. Though I was only half-serious back there.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:32 pm

Swaile tends to play moody, somewhat arrogant characters, and creates a sophisticated, almost spoiled feel to his characters. There's obviously a sense of cerebral activity. I'm not sure Swaile is right for a character as breezy as Goku. It seems like he would have the same effect as Kirby Morrow, sounding too collected, not flighty enough.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:50 pm

penguintruth wrote:Swaile tends to play moody, somewhat arrogant characters, and creates a sophisticated, almost spoiled feel to his characters. There's obviously a sense of cerebral activity. I'm not sure Swaile is right for a character as breezy as Goku. It seems like he would have the same effect as Kirby Morrow, sounding too collected, not flighty enough.
I see what you mean, makes sense, Light, Gohan, Rock, Amuro, etc. they all have that tone in their (his) voice.

I've said it before in a different thread; but, I could see Vincent Tong (Matsuda in Death Note) as Goku.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:53 pm

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:I could see Vincent Tong (Matsuda in Death Note) as Goku.
Decent choice. I've thought the same myself.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Can I get a Schemen?

andrewtuell1991
Beyond Newbie

Post by andrewtuell1991 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:54 pm

While we continue to wait, how about we pass time by listing which listing which character's voices need replacing and by whom. I'm afraid I can't do much of the latter as my only experiences with the Ocean VAs is through the four "Ocean Dubs" of DB, InuYasha, and Death Note (never understood the awe of Gundam).

1. Tenshinhan - Matt Smith's Ten-san always came off as too young and wimpy sounding to me.

2. Kaio - Brown's rendition is slightly more tolerable than Schemmel's but is still a gross over-exaggeration of Kaio's character. Wouldn't mind that voice being used for Ghurd though.

3. Freeza - Does the reason even need to be restated for the billionth time? Chain Smoking Granny Luckily the every first casting for this new dub was Lee Tockar taking on the role for Freeza and I'm sure he's do an excellent job at it if he uses something similar to his vile voice.

4. Reacoom - Kaye's Sylvester Stallone Reacoom honestly isn't that much better than Sabat's HERP DERP Reacoom IMO. If he can use a different voiced than maybe but otherwise recast please.

5. Jheese - I though Matt Hill would make an excellent Jheese as cocky teenages seem to be his thing, but Scott McNeil announced his reprising of Jheese in his "Screw the NDA" interview. Hopefully he'll pull off a voice (maybe something similar to Daiz in the edited TV version) but otherwise I'm skeptical.

6. Future Trunks - I think it's safe to say that the majority of the fandom considers this to be one of the biggest miscasts in the Westwood dub. I've heard Kirby Morrow's name be kicked around several times for this role and I agree that I would be perfect, and if not him then maybe Samuel Vincent.

7. Cell - I'm honestly torn on this one. Wilson did a good job for the 1st and 2nd forms, it's just the Perfect Form he bombed with. MAYBE, big big maybe, if he did a new fitting voice for Perfect Cell then I say give him a second chance, but otherwise definitely recast.

8. Mr. Satan - His voice should be bass deep voice, but Don comes off as either an Tenor or even an Alto at times. I say give to Trevor Devall using his Iron Will voice from MLP FIM.

9. No. 16 - No more dying tape recorders this time around please. I noticed his name wasn't one listed off by McNeil in the interview so I'm in high hopes that he's been recasted with a good voice this time.

10. Kibito - Why was Cookie Monster voicing Kibito?

11. No. 19 - It wasn't terrible but it wasn't good either.

12. Fat Majin Boo - It appears McNeil will be reprising this role as well. Please Mr. McNeil, for the love of all that's decent, use a different voice. No more brain damaged Boo with broken English.

Subzero Ice

Post by Subzero Ice » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:10 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:I hope they get O'Hara back to play Bulma. She was one of the best.
Last time I heard, O'Hara was not coming back, unfortunately :(

I'm disappointed as well, I love her as Bulma.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:45 am

I bet Lalainia Lindbjerg isn't doing anything with her life, they should get her. I was always pretty fond of her Bulma, even though she wasn't always the best at delivering (look at World's Strongest). She got that "bossy, kind of snooty" sound, but with a little warmth, as well. She's loads better than Tiffany Vollmer, at least (but who isn't?).

Can I get a Schemen?

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:58 am

penguintruth wrote:I bet Lalainia Lindbjerg isn't doing anything with her life, they should get her. I was always pretty fond of her Bulma, even though she wasn't always the best at delivering (look at World's Strongest). She got that "bossy, kind of snooty" sound, but with a little warmth, as well. She's loads better than Tiffany Vollmer, at least (but who isn't?).
Are you kidding? Tiffany Vollmer's Bulma is amazing and one of the best performances in all the Kai dub.

Shnuki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shnuki » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:19 pm

What? You know that Tiffany Vollmer was replaced by Monica Rial in Kai's dub, right?

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:25 pm

Shnuki wrote:What? You know that Tiffany Vollmer was replaced by Monica Rial in Kai's dub, right?
Oh, right, had them confused for a second. Yeah, I'm stupid.

Monica Rial is who I'm referring to. Tiffany Vollmer was just not good.

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:00 pm

I know who's playing Goku in the new Ocean Dub, but I probably should not say outright... but here's a hint.

Hint: It's a funny coincidence that they got Kappei Yamaguchi to play Goku in the Japanese version of the DragonBall Evolution.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:06 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:I know who's playing Goku in the new Ocean Dub, but I probably should not say outright... but here's a hint.

Hint: It's a funny coincidence that they got Kappei Yamaguchi to play Goku in the Japanese version of the DragonBall Evolution.
Pretty sure I've got it figured out from that, but since you don't want it said, I won't post my prediction. :lol: If it is who I'm thinking of...hmm...
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:13 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:I know who's playing Goku in the new Ocean Dub, but I probably should not say outright... but here's a hint.

Oh wow...so they got Justin Chatwin, huh?

:lol:
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:21 pm

Edit: I took my prediction down, just to avoid any possible trouble that could come with bluntly saying it. I remember the whole debacle, with people implying Chris Ayres prior to him appearing in the FUNi Kai dub.

Haha, that actor definitely falls under unexpected for Goku.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:48 pm

I don't remember the trouble with Ayres, aside from Linda Young's hurt feelings.

Can I get a Schemen?