Weird "intro"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:57 pm

I think it's the 1996 (or so) Dr. Slump Opening.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:26 pm

It's the 96 one judging from how it looks similar to GT. I think the original one from when Slump was on is better. THat one's weird.

Mr. Announcer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr. Announcer » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:26 pm

Yeah, I would have to say I'm not a fan of this particular intro. The whole smoky red thing just seemed really unecessary and it really drags for some reason. I get bored watching it even though it's like action action! If they're not afraid to show it uncut, why not just show the original intros? They're free to do what they want with music as far as I'm concerned but I don't really think they have the talent to arrange their own intro. Rock the Dragon was plenty better.

Oh yeah, and I happen to like the 96 Dr. Slump opening. Very high energy.
For fanart that lacks in variety [url]http://www.announcerguy.deviantart.com[/url]

クリリンのことか~!!!

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:31 pm

There were so many awesome clips to use from the Saiya-jin saga and the ultimate uncut intro had to use some of the most boring ones. :?

I call it the DBZ Xbox live intro.
Last edited by Castor Troy on Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChaotixXero
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChaotixXero » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:31 pm

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aJeOcfD6owE& ... r.%20SLump

Is that the one you guys are talking about?

Meri
The Wife

Post by Meri » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:38 pm

DBZ MAN wrote:I like it, I don't know if it's a trend to say that it's rubbish whenever Funi or someone else tries to update the image of dragonball (apart from when they don't stay true to the original context and Sorry if it sounded negative but it happnes a lot with marvel comic readers).
If you trully don't like it then please don't mind my rant but I honestly think it's good so i'm sorry to some if that makes me less of a Dragonball fan. Isn't the opening like only 1 minute long?
There's a difference between using tasteful effects and techniques to update the image of Dragonball's outdated style, and using gaudy, distracting, pointless effects that only helps to make the footage look even WORSE than it did before.

Case in point, FUNi's movie trailers for DBZ; they use effects in the trailers, and the footage is edited in a "music video" style. However, they're not so overdone that it does a diservice to the show. Rather, they manage to make DBZ look cool again and it makes the footage look 10 years younger than it actually is. For the most part, their trailers have been really impressive. Even though they are "different," the trailers are at least decent.

On the other hand, this new intro crosses any line representing good taste and takes a massive shit on it. It's as if they were aware of how old and grainy the footage is and, rather than work WITH the footage, they work AGAINST it by adding needless effects and a red tint that only HIGHLIGHT the footage's short-comings.

It also has a bit of the "hey, I'm a new editor and I just discovered the 'Effects' tools window in Adobe AfterEffects!"-syndrome to it, which is a problem in and of itself.

I'm all up for updating Dragonball's image.... as long as it manages to do so without looking retarted in the process (i.e.; this new intro, "Sparking"'s opening...).

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:25 pm

I'm all up for updating Dragonball's image.... as long as it manages to do so without looking retarted in the process (i.e.; this new intro, "Sparking"'s opening...).
:shock: Yea...the Sparking Opening is just scary with implication of humping going on...(Just look at Goku and Vegeta's faces when they move back and forth quickly on that one part...O_o)
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:50 pm

Chaos Saiyajin wrote:
:shock: Yea...the Sparking Opening is just scary with implication of humping going on...(Just look at Goku and Vegeta's faces when they move back and forth quickly on that one part...O_o)
I can't stand "ape-motion" Goku in the sparking intro. :x

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:24 am

Wow, people actually DIDN'T like the Sparking intro? oO I thought it was pretty stunning actually...

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:27 am

Kirbopher wrote:Wow, people actually DIDN'T like the Sparking intro? oO I thought it was pretty stunning actually...
I like it, but I have to prefet the Tenkaichi opening because though I love the song, "We Gotta Power" sounds too happy for that scene.

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:36 am

I actually like the new intro. Of course, it's nicer to see on DVD than on a little window on my computer screen like that.

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:25 am

I can handle that Ultimate Uncut intro. I don't like it, but I can handle it. Rock the Dragon I can even tolorate. What I cannot tolorate and will always Mute the TV, change the audio or chapter skip every single time no matter what without a second thought is that god forsaken "Step into the Grand Tour GT" rap bullshit.

That exercise in stupidity makes me want to pull my hair out and attack someone like a rabid wolf anytime I hear it. It actually annoys me to that extent. I'll switch it to Dan Dan every single time I watch a GT DVD no matter what. I threatend my friend never to select that intro again when I was at his house and we watch DB DVDs if he knew what was good for him. :twisted:

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:33 am

With the Grand TOur song, I like the music, and its riffs, but I think it should've been instrumental. True I don't really watch GT, but still...

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:44 am

Wanna know something funny?

With the first Ultimate Uncut dvd, you can change the language on the fly even during the intros. So when you're playing the Ultimate Uncut intro, press your audio button and you can hear Cha la head cha la with the Ultimate Uncut animation... :shock:

You can also watch the Cha la head cha la intro with the Ultimate uncut music and do the same with the zenkai power/ultimate uncut outro.

It's actually pretty hilarious how things sync up in the intros with the alternate audio :P

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:26 pm

Castor Troy wrote:Wanna know something funny?

With the first Ultimate Uncut dvd, you can change the language on the fly even during the intros. So when you're playing the Ultimate Uncut intro, press your audio button and you can hear Cha la head cha la with the Ultimate Uncut animation... :shock:

You can also watch the Cha la head cha la intro with the Ultimate uncut music and do the same with the zenkai power/ultimate uncut outro.

It's actually pretty hilarious how things sync up in the intros with the alternate audio :P
I tried that today. It was pretty interesting. I really like both intros so it was pretty cool to see the visuals swapped. It worked suprisingly well at some points.

masenko
Beyond Newbie

Post by masenko » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:18 am

FUNimation intentionally made the Ultimate Uncut intro the exact same length as Cha-La to have the DVDs be able to coexist with the japanese animation and video/audio files completely. It's much simpler to make a DVD this way (two angles) than have two ENTIRELY separate video tracks. Now if they could just do some dual layering...
"I GOTTA GAMBLE EVERYTHING I GOT ON THIS ONE FIST!!!!" - Son Goku, Tale 160

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:02 am

There was a thread concerning this a while back..one of the points I was trying to make there was the ultimate uncut intro doesn't at all capture the theme and spirit of DBZ. You could say it works as a music video, but not as an intro to the show.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:10 am

masenko wrote:FUNimation intentionally made the Ultimate Uncut intro the exact same length as Cha-La to have the DVDs be able to coexist with the japanese animation and video/audio files completely. It's much simpler to make a DVD this way (two angles) than have two ENTIRELY separate video tracks. Now if they could just do some dual layering...
What's dual-layering?

Back on topic, yeah you can change the music. Though you have to admit, seeing either animation with the different opening song makes it look kind of weird. Funimation isn't the only one who has encountered this.

masenko
Beyond Newbie

Post by masenko » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:54 pm

Super Sonic wrote:
masenko wrote:FUNimation intentionally made the Ultimate Uncut intro the exact same length as Cha-La to have the DVDs be able to coexist with the japanese animation and video/audio files completely. It's much simpler to make a DVD this way (two angles) than have two ENTIRELY separate video tracks. Now if they could just do some dual layering...
What's dual-layering?

Back on topic, yeah you can change the music. Though you have to admit, seeing either animation with the different opening song makes it look kind of weird. Funimation isn't the only one who has encountered this.
Dual Layering is a technique that mostly every mass market DVD takes advantage of. A single DVD consists of 4.7 GB (which is how much the FUNimation discs hold) while a Dual-Layered DVD contains twice that. (9.4 GB) The result is much more space (MORE EPISODES) as well as better quality. I believe EX mentioned this during one of the more recent podcasts when he spoke of how the DragonBall saga sets aren't Dual Layered but consist of many episodes resulting in a damper in quality. So FUNi does put as many episodes as they can fit without killing quality on the DBZ discs but if they dual layered, we would probably be getting 7-8 episodes a disc.
"I GOTTA GAMBLE EVERYTHING I GOT ON THIS ONE FIST!!!!" - Son Goku, Tale 160

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:10 pm

masenko wrote:
Super Sonic wrote:
What's dual-layering?

Dual Layering is a technique that mostly every mass market DVD takes advantage of. A single DVD consists of 4.7 GB (which is how much the FUNimation discs hold) while a Dual-Layered DVD contains twice that. (9.4 GB) The result is much more space (MORE EPISODES) as well as better quality. I believe EX mentioned this during one of the more recent podcasts when he spoke of how the DragonBall saga sets aren't Dual Layered but consist of many episodes resulting in a damper in quality. So FUNi does put as many episodes as they can fit without killing quality on the DBZ discs but if they dual layered, we would probably be getting 7-8 episodes a disc.
Which cuts into the amount of profits they make so they don't do it. Makes sense to me.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.