What's your favorite DBZ song? ^.^

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mochi
Beyond Newbie

What's your favorite DBZ song? ^.^

Post by Mochi » Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:39 pm

it's a good question... o.o My favorite song is Piccolo-San Daisuki!!! It's sooo cute!!! :mrgreen: Hm... and I also like the one Vegeta sings... what's it called? vegeta-sama something-or-other jigoku??? O.o
Yes... I am... but you don't know that...

urhash
Not-So-Newbie

Post by urhash » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:02 pm

Hrrm..

It's not DBZ, but I just love Dan Dan Kokoro Hikareteku.

As for DBZ, I really like the closing songs to movie 12 and 13. The "recap/prologue" instrumental (remix of We Gotta Power) is really nice too.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:16 pm

Ohh that's soo unfair! It's really hard for me to narrow it down! :( I love "Head-Cha-La" of course, but my favourite of all time would definitely be "FOR EVER", followed by "Power of Smile", "Goodnight My Blue", Yesterday's Dreams, Today's Light:Silent Night, Morning Moon", Aistu wa Son Goku", and "Joshiki Nante NA-I-SA". I can't narrow it down any more than that. Don't ask me too! I actually love all the music, I have a real problem with it! :lol: And yes, who could not love such a gosh darn sweet song like "Piccolo-san Da-isuki"! :D By the way, if anyone knows where I can buy DBZ Hits Collection #7, let me know even it's a used CD. I've been looking for it forever! :(

Mochi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mochi » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:35 pm

ooh, i've seen a few sites where you can buy DBZ cds... I'll try to find them again. but tomorrow... my sister is holding a gun to my head and telling me to get off the computer. XD :lol:
Yes... I am... but you don't know that...

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:41 pm

Thanks for your help, but I garuantee that I've either searched there or they don't have it. I been collecting DB music for a while now this one's a particularly hard one to get. and these CDs are actually out of print. Well at least the official ones, many bootlegs are still around, which is probably what that sight has anyway. But again thanks for the offer. 8) :wink:

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:42 pm

urhash wrote:Hrrm..

It's not DBZ, but I just love Dan Dan Kokoro Hikareteku.

As for DBZ, I really like the closing songs to movie 12 and 13. The "recap/prologue" instrumental (remix of We Gotta Power) is really nice too.
I've got to agree with you about Dan Dan. I was never overly impressed with it, but since our dub of GT uses the original music, it's really grown on me. And I really love the Zarn version, enough to actually try purchasing the CD (like, wow). And the recap instrumental version is beautiful.

As for the other recap music, isn't the second DBZ one more based on "We Were Angels" than "We Gotta Power"?

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:13 pm

If you want the Zard version(really beautiful one by the way), you have to get their CD "Today is Another Day" and not any of the GT soundtracks or DB Theme compilations that are out there. Just in case you didn't know. :)

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:29 pm

Oh geez, I know this is gonna sound weird, but my favorite theme would have to be the second recap theme from Z.

I just wish it was available on a CD, I'd be all over that thing in a second.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:54 pm

The one that me and Urhash are talking about? The one that starts out like the original, but then has "We Were Angels" instead of "Cha La"?

I'm not sure, but surely that's on the big 5-CD compliation set?

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:03 pm

Yes, it's on the big 5 CD compilation set called "Dragonball & Dragonball Z". It is on CD 4 or 5 I believe. I need to go and check mine again.

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:06 pm

Yeah that'd be the one, maybe I should look into that set as you suggest.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:14 pm

I would definitely purchase it. As someone who already owns it, I highly recommend it for anyone who is only into the vocals used in the movies and the T.V. songs, plus BGM. It's definitely got the best chunk of background music. Disc 1 is basically an exact copy of the Dragonball songs disc with all the vocals, including the cute "Son Goku Song". Disc 2 has BGM from DB. Disc 3 has all the insert vocals used in the TV. series of DBZ, except for 'Aitsu wa Son Goku", which is an image song, but it's a kick-butt song, so yipee! this disc also has the songs from the two T.V. specials, including "Solid State Scouter"(woohoo!). It also has all the insert and ending songs from movie 1 to 9. Disc 4 has BGM music from DBZ, and Disc 5 has some of the BGM from the movies. So as you can see, you get a really nice helping of music. 8) The disc is expensive though. I paid about $80 CAN for mine, but if you really love this stuff, it's worth it.(almost!) You can see why I'm poor! :cry:

urhash
Not-So-Newbie

Post by urhash » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:35 pm

I have the recap theme on mp3 if anyone wants it (224kbps).

Liam, I'm not entirely sure. It goes so slowly it almost sounds like a different song. You're probably right, though.

I like both versions of Dan Dan, but the one by Field of View is more in line with the adventureous theme of DBGT.

I wish I could get the recap theme to DBGT! Argh!!!

(EDIT) Just listened to it again... Liam I do believe its a slower remix of We Gotta Power.

Here's a comparison: http://mysite.verizon.net/vze2kh5w/wgp1.wav

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:59 pm

$80 CAN isn't much. I'm trying to resist the urge to spend £70 on the 20th anniversary Masterpiece Optimus Prime figure.

urhash: I actually only own one "We Gotta Power" DVD, so it's possible that they had two different recap tunes. I've stuck it in now, and listening to it, it sounds like...actually, I'm not sure. I suppose it's a BIT like We Gotta Power, but it's not as obvious as the Cha La version. Oh, wait, now it does. You're right. However, the bit that plays when the actual episode title comes up is definitely "We Used To Be Angels".

Y'know, the Zarn/Field of Dreams thing got me thinking. Are there any other covers of DBZ songs out there? I'm not expecting Coldplay to attempt Cha La, or anything (although that would be...interesting). It's just that covers are quite often cool, interpreting songs in a different way to how you've come to expect it.

And, this is heresay, but are their any English versions of any of them? I've heard Hironobu's English versions of Cha La, We Used To Be Angels, and We Gotta Power, and they were alternatingly good/interesting/accidently funny.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:20 am

PsyLiam wrote:$80 CAN isn't much. I'm trying to resist the urge to spend £70 on the 20th anniversary Masterpiece Optimus Prime figure.

You too?! I want the thing sooo badly, but I just can't justify it! At least not yet! It's about $79.99 here .

If you're curious about alternative versions of DBZ songs Liam, I'd just check out Julian's music info on EX's site. It would have the best info on that. I know they do have a section up now dedicated to foreign CDs.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:32 am

"Makafushigi Adventure!" has to be my favorite, though it's not actually DBZ.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:44 am

I think I have before, but I'll have another look.

Remember the exchange rate at the moment. £70 = CAN $ 171. Granted, I could get the US version rather than the Japanese version, but I want the long smokestacks and the really cool booklet that comes with the Takara version. BigBadToyStore have the US version for $60, and the Japanese for $100, but when I've added delivery and potential import tax...

We are massively overpriced with everything in this country. The Convoy figure is an import (since it's not out over here yet), but something like Unicron is £60 in Toys R Us, whereas it's US $50 in, er, the US, which works out at £27.36. And we have to put up with that on EVERYTHING, since someone worked out that $1 - £1 is obviously a good exchange rate when pricing stuff over here. Grrr. Thank god I can import DVDs cheaply. Hoorah for DVD Box Office, their free delivery, and the rubbishness of the Candian dollar!

On the topic, I've never been a huge fan of "Makafushigi Adventure". But that's balanced by the fact that the end theme (whatever it's called. "Romance something something?") is really good. It's a pattern that holds for Z. Cha La good, Zenki Power okay. We Gotta Power okay, We used to be Angels really good.

Although I do love the instrumental beginning to We Gotta Power.

urhash
Not-So-Newbie

Post by urhash » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:51 am

I think DBGT had consistently spectacular songs for the ending, though. The only one that was only so-so was Sabitsuita Machine Gun.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:54 am

It's "Romantikku Ageru yo" and I also don't like "We Gotta Power" as much, partially because it's really bad English. The first time I heard it, I couldn't help chuckling. I like "Makafushigi Adobencha" though. The long re-mix version is pretty cute! 8)

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:12 am

Have you just used a pedantically over the top romanisation of an already English word, Miss Jersey "I can't see the point of people writing out 'Bejita'" Milk?

My nephews do seem to like both the opening and ending tunes to DB equally. They are the FUNI versions, but they're both pretty close, and certainly better than that atrocious theme Blue Water uses. The 5 year old always sings along to the "Let's fly, fly, fly" bit too, which is really cute, because he doesn't realise he's doing it. It is important to note that he doesn't explode into flames upon hearing the opening and ending tunes, or the Japanese music. In fact, he likes DB more than DBZ. And he's in the age group FUNI seems to be targetting with their "pumped up DBZ music". Hmm...

Oh, that reminds me. You know the ending tune used on the Blue Water GT dub? What on earth is that? Is it an instrumental version of one of the original ending themes?

And, to argue with myself, We Gotta Power may not be the best tune, but visually, it's really nice. I love beginning with Gohan, Trunks and Goten on Shenron, and the images of the young Gohan's reflected in adult Gohan's sunglasses is also really nice.

Pity that end group shot has so many non-characters in it. And they never changed it, did they? So Yamcha gets cruelly ignored, but stupid blond bitch who fancied Gohan gets to glare at us for almost 100 episodes? Whazup wit' dat?