Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:47 pm

Maybe it'll be marketed as Dragonball Evolution 2. :roll:

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:25 pm

According to a post on 2ch, at Jump Festa, Nozawa read out Toriyama's letter, and it says that he tried hard in revenge for Evolution which was wrong.:lol: Also, it's Bulma's birthday party they're holding.
Last edited by kei17 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:30 pm

I foresee jokes about losing "bounce".
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:52 pm

Bulma's birthday party? I'm a little disappointed it's not Gohan and Videl's wedding rehearsal (or something like that) like everyone predicted.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:13 am

kei17 wrote:According to a post on 2ch, at Jump Festa, Nozawa read out Toriyama's letter, and it says that he tried hard in revenge for Evolution which wrong.:lol: Also, it's Bulma's birthday party they're holding.
You go Toriyama. And all these years, people thought that he would never say that he doesn't like a particular adaption of the franchise and that he'd always say something positive out of standard Japanese respect.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:24 am

kei17 wrote:According to a post on 2ch, at Jump Festa, Nozawa read out Toriyama's letter, and it says that he tried hard in revenge for Evolution which wrong.:lol: Also, it's Bulma's birthday party they're holding.
I think that you just killed Chuquita.

~Da Lemmy
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

JeffJarrett
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by JeffJarrett » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:25 am

NeoKING wrote:You go Toriyama. And all these years, people thought that he would never say that he doesn't like a particular adaption of the franchise and that he'd always say something positive out of standard Japanese respect.
I'm pretty sure he only said he tried his best for the film to be great in his letter, and people on the 2ch forum added the "in revenge for Evolution which wrong".

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:48 am

To tell the truth, it would be very unprofessional to say that.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:49 am

JulieYBM wrote: I wonder how big they're thinking? Big-big, like what Yuugi-Ou and Pokemon got? Hmm...
kei17 wrote:I'm now at a lecture meeting of the anime industry, and the speaker said that Fox would distribute Battle of Gods because Toei is planning on international screenings.
I don't think this will get the same release that the Pokemon movies did because things are different now. Naruto is a popular anime and the first movie didn't get a major release here at all. If we get a select screenings then I hope it's at Otakon or a better art house theater. The art house theater that I saw Evangelion 1.0 at was horrible. The subs were super hard to read.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:57 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:
I don't think this will get the same release that the Pokemon movies did because things are different now. Naruto is a popular anime and the first movie didn't get a major release here at all. If we get a select screenings then I hope it's at Otakon or a better art house theater. The art house theater that I saw Evangelion 1.0 at was horrible. The subs were super hard to read.
Naruto is not the international powerhouse that Dragon Ball is, though.

EDIT: Added missing 'not'.
Last edited by JulieYBM on Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:00 am

Fox666 wrote:To tell the truth, it would be very unprofessional to say that.
Uh, no? There are times when those involved in the creative process for something express dismay at something they were involved in. Just because they have authority over it doesn't mean it's unprofessional for them not to like it, like how Stallone hated Rocky V, or how Eddie Murphy wasn't too fond of Beverly Hills Cop 3. Toriyama saying he didn't like Evolution would be just fine. In fact, he's entitled to his opinion even moreso because he didn't even make it, someone took what he made and created a terrible adaption.

And yet, for him to say he doesn't like it would be very unprofessional? On what grounds?

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:05 am

Bulma's party is appropriate I guess, especially when you consider where the story of Dragon Ball began.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:05 am

Bulma's party is appropriate I guess, especially when you consider where the story of Dragon Ball began.

As for an international theatrical release, I think I'd prefer it to be screened in a film festival-like setting.
Last edited by DragonBoxZTheMovies on Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:11 am

JulieYBM wrote:
Naruto is the international powerhouse that Dragon Ball is, though.
The Naruto movie never got a huge theatrical release in the US like the Pokemon movies did though. I think Yu-Gi-Oh: The Movie is the last movie based on a cartoon or anime that got a movie. It's not like the 90's and early 2000's when popular kid shows were common to have movies released in theaters. Very few animated movies in the US only been released in over 1,000 theaters.
NeoKING wrote:Just because they have authority over it doesn't mean it's unprofessional for them not to like it, like how Stallone hated Rocky V, or how Eddie Murphy wasn't too fond of Beverly Hills Cop 3.
Or just like Stephen King didn't like The Shining.
She/Her

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:13 am

JeffJarrett wrote:
NeoKING wrote:You go Toriyama. And all these years, people thought that he would never say that he doesn't like a particular adaption of the franchise and that he'd always say something positive out of standard Japanese respect.
I'm pretty sure he only said he tried his best for the film to be great in his letter, and people on the 2ch forum added the "in revenge for Evolution which wrong".
To be precise, he said "I tried hard as a a personal revenge for the live-action film because it was 'are'". "Are", a Japanese word, literally refers to "that", and you use it as an adjective when you want to indirectly criticize something bad, wrong, or crazy.
Last edited by kei17 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:15 am

kei17 wrote: To be precise, he said "I tried hard as a a personal revenge for the live-action film because it was 'are'". "Are", a Japanese word, literally refers to "that", and you use it when you want to indirectly criticize something bad, wrong, or crazy.
Welp, there ya' go. I always knew he gave a damn. Now if only we heard his true sentiments on GT. Though, I figure his Dragon Box GT statement came from the heart.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:16 am

DBE is one of those movie that you know it was going to suck just by looking at a simple picture of it. I can't see how anyone can have any high hopes for it. I trying to get revenge for it sounds stupid.
She/Her

mattymoron
Beyond Newbie

Post by mattymoron » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:26 am

What are the odds, do you guys think, that we'll get a theatrical release over here in the States?

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:37 am

mattymoron wrote:What are the odds, do you guys think, that we'll get a theatrical release over here in the States?
Wasn't it confirmed a page back that Fox is distributing this film because Toei wants an international release?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:38 am

Li'l Lemmy wrote:
I think that you just killed Chuquita.

~Da Lemmy
Being stuck at work instead of being able to follow the thread as the panel happened live is what nearly killed me. XD

Bulma's birthday party, huh?
Not disappointed. Surprised, but not disappointed.

OMG, Vegeta should bake the cake. (What with his culinary skills as shown w/his okonomiyaki.)

The mentioning of Videl having an important part is now kind of confusing; unless Gohan proposes to her at the end of the movie, or if it's not relationship-related, maybe Videl is the one who figures out something important related to the plot that had been eluding everyone earlier?

I like the idea of Toriyama being inspired to work hard to get revenge for the LAM. Chatku was a horrible experience; the fact that Toriyama's trying to counterbalance that with something awesome is a really impressive gesture. DB is his, after all.

The fact that the thread only jump 2 pages while I was gone makes me feel that if I missed something big that happened at the panel, it just hasn't been translated or posted anywhere yet.

If FOX is distributing, I just hope they don't cause trouble for Funi. I want that DVD release with the option of Japanese audio and English subs, and I know there are a lot of people who want Funi's dub and would be upset if FOX decided to dub it themselves.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!